Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 CAYENNE diesel MAINTENANCE

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

No problem. If you read this forum, it seems to me that owners of newish vehicles (that is, those that Porsche were not able to sell due to the stop sale) are the most satisfied. There may be a correlation, as someone pointed out in the sticky, of putting software designed for a pristine new engine on cars that has been driven for awhile.

For me personally, the pre-fix CD was a wonderful diesel. The post-fix is almost the same but for the holding on third gear when cold. If you still want to pursue a pre-owned CD, bear in mind that Porsche extended the new warranty to six years and once a fix is done, there is basically a 10 years powertrain warranty for issues related to the fix. A dealer selling a used one may even CPO the CD and you'll end up with eight years bumper to bumper (the last two being CPO, which main difference from new is CPO does not cover cosmetic issues such as rattles). Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:36 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

I drove plenty of pre fixed CD's as my dealer used them as service loaners. I thought the throttle response was weak on them then and always put them into "sport" mode. Same thing with my post fix '15 CD, whenever I drive it (wife's car) I hit the "sport" button.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:45 PM
BWR41
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by visitador
No problem. If you read this forum, it seems to me that owners of newish vehicles (that is, those that Porsche were not able to sell due to the stop sale) are the most satisfied. There may be a correlation, as someone pointed out in the sticky, of putting software designed for a pristine new engine on cars that has been driven for awhile.

For me personally, the pre-fix CD was a wonderful diesel. The post-fix is almost the same but for the holding on third gear when cold. If you still want to pursue a pre-owned CD, bear in mind that Porsche extended the new warranty to six years and once a fix is done, there is basically a 10 years powertrain warranty for issues related to the fix. A dealer selling a used one may even CPO the CD and you'll end up with eight years bumper to bumper (the last two being CPO, which main difference from new is CPO does not cover cosmetic issues such as rattles). Hope this helps in your decision.
Thanks. The 2013 CD I'm pursuing is CPO and I was informed of the 2 years from the date of sale with unlimited miles. I read the Porsche brochure on the emission repair. I'll have to figure out which is greater based on in service date or modification date. Thanks again for the advice.

The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” shall be the greater of:
• 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
• 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage at which the emissions modification was performed.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,573 Posts

^^^ I had the fix done for reasons stated in the sticky thread about a month ago. My driving has been city driving and a couple of short highway trips. For me, the main difference is the transmission holding on third gear when cold. I have to adapt and manually shift to fourth. Once it is warm, I can't really feel the difference. Maybe the changes are so small, that I don't notice in my old age. However, that does not mean this is permanent. If you read the sticky thread, it looks like the loss of response, as pointed by Needsdecaf, happens over time. I haven't experienced that yet, knock on wood.

If I ever encounter the issues that Needsdecaf and Skiahh posted in the sticky thread, I may first try to see if the EGR is gumming the intakes. After that, I may try a Malone engine and transmission tune, which according to the contact person in ClubToaureg, is coming soon.
Its nothing to do with the actual engine itself. It’s 100% programming. If you put the car in Sport, the difference is huge. Zero delay. Of course, that means the car hangs on to gears abnormally high.

If if it was my Dd, I’d be driving the car in Sport and full manual 100% of the time.

Its most disappointing as the best part of driving the vehicle before was the effortless way the torque rolled in on part throttle. Just roll it in and waft away. Now it’s....throttle. Wait. Wait. Wait. BOOOOOST! SO sad.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:03 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BWR41
Thanks. The 2013 CD I'm pursuing is CPO and I was informed of the 2 years from the date of sale with unlimited miles. I read the Porsche brochure on the emission repair. I'll have to figure out which is greater based on in service date or modification date. Thanks again for the advice.

The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” shall be the greater of:
• 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
• 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage at which the emissions modification was performed.
Seems like a good place to ask this question. I just received the offer letter for my 13 CD (originally sold in Canada, so there's been a delay compared to US CD's). My "Goodwill Extended Warranty" expires on 10/31 of this year. Would I be wise to delay having the fix done so as to maximize the time under warranty? It doesn't seem like have the Goodwill Warranty and the Emissions Warranty overlap would do any good.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:12 PM
BWR41
Track Day

Not sure if I need to move this post as it is becoming more about Pre-Owned Warranty. For those who are more experienced, pls let me know if I need to move it.

A quick update. So I discovered after talking to Porsche North America that if a Porsche can not be Pre-Owned Warranty (CPO) more than once. In my case, I am pursuing a 2013 CD with only one owner. In-service date was 1/4/2013; therefore the new car warranty ends 1/4/2017 (4 years later). That said, it seems that a Pre-Owned Warranty took effect 1/4/2017 and is scheduled to expire 1/4/2019 (2 years).

The Porsche dealership I am purchasing the 2013 CD from is telling me that when I purchase this Porsche the Pre-Owned Warranty will cover 2 years. In this case, 6/2018 to 6/2020.

I obviously would like for the Pre-Owned Warranty to cover from the time of purchase. I also don't have a reason to not believe Porsche N.A. regarding a vehicle can only be warranty for Pre-Owned certification once.

So has anyone experienced this situation with an authorized Porsche dealership?

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:19 PM
BWR41
Track Day

Originally Posted by PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Seems like a good place to ask this question. I just received the offer letter for my 13 CD (originally sold in Canada, so there's been a delay compared to US CD's). My "Goodwill Extended Warranty" expires on 10/31 of this year. Would I be wise to delay having the fix done so as to maximize the time under warranty? It doesn't seem like have the Goodwill Warranty and the Emissions Warranty overlap would do any good.
PORSCHEJAYHAWK-
As I'm not sure of your milage, so I'll address the time frame. Since your CD is a 2013, I suspect your inservice date is sometime in 2012 or 2013. That said, if you do nothing and go solely on the 10 years, it will be 2022 or 2023.

If you waited to start the 4 year clock, then you would need to hold off on the modification until 2020. Your extended warranty for emission will expire 2024. Waiting could gain you 1 additional year or more; making warranty after modification being your best coverage.

The only thing I don't know is whether there's a time frame that you have to get the modification completed.

Good Luck.

Last edited by BWR41; 06-17-2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

PORSCHEJAYHAWK-
As I'm not sure of your milage, so I'll address the time frame. Since your CD is a 2013, I suspect your inservice date is sometime in 2012 or 2013. That said, if you do nothing and go solely on the 10 years, it will be 2022 or 2023.

If you waited to start the 4 year clock, then you would need to hold off on the modification until 2020. Your extended warranty for emission will expire 2024. Waiting could gain you 1 additional year or more; making warranty after modification being your best coverage.

The only thing I don't know is whether there's a time frame that you have to get the modification completed.

Good Luck.

In service date 10/31/2012. Goodwill warranty expires 10/31 of this year. 55,000 miles. Is the Extended Emissions Warranty transferrable?

Last edited by PORSCHEJAYHAWK; 06-17-2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Adding question.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:16 PM
BWR41
Track Day

Originally Posted by PORSCHEJAYHAWK
In service date 10/31/2012. Goodwill warranty expires 10/31 of this year. 55,000 miles. Is the Extended Emissions Warranty transferrable?
Yes.

TransferabilityThis extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners.

https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en/_3models

Scroll down and select: Emission Complaint Repair - 2013 -2014 Porsche Cayenne 3.0L Diesel Booklet

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:04 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

^^^ the fix program ends sometime at the end of next year. You don't need to do the fix until then but then you won't have any kind of warranty after 10/30 of this year. The fix warranty only kicks in after you do the fix
Old 06-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Thanks for this info Visitador - since you're in CA, do you know if there is any issue registering an out of state CD in CA? There seem to be a few of them at attractive prices.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:52 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

I believe all Porsche cars are 50 state compliant. The fix has the blessing of CARB. Besides it is not a tailpipe test. The test is a OBD-2 test. So, it is just checking the CDs computer.

I assume you know the process of registering an out of state car, right? You have to smog test it first before bringing it to the DMV for inspection.

A note of caution: Don't do any maintenance that requires resetting the computers. You won't be able to pass the test unless you drive the CD a few hundred miles.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Thanks V - I have brought cars in from out of state before, but it's been a few years now, and with the hysteria surrounding the diesel emissions scandal, well, you never know what special tests CA may decide should be inflicted.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:07 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Make sure the CD you are planning to buy has the two fix stickers under the hood
Old 01-13-2020, 02:08 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Make sure the CD you are planning to buy has the two fix stickers under the hood
I am aware of one sticker
can you please describe the locations of both stickers under the hood? (maybe I missed the other one)

Quick Reply: 2013 CAYENNE diesel MAINTENANCE