Sponsored By:

Front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 12:04 AM
mblayton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake pads

Okay, I just spent the better part of the evening reading all post about brake pads for Cayenne Diesels and somehow they always get away from the cayenne and get onto other models and never really answer peoples specific question.

We have a 2015 CD with 18" wheels,
Question #1 are the rotors 350mm? or 360mm?
Question #2 I want low dust, after three days it appears as though someone spray painted the rims black. Not worried about initial bite as we live in Florida which would be a great pad to buy? EBC, Hawk, Pagid???
Are these slide tools necessary for the calipers?
Old 06-10-2018, 04:25 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,638 Posts

What color are your rotors?

Pagid are the best IMO
Old 06-10-2018, 06:34 PM
mblayton
Intermediate

I'm sure the rotors are stock dealer units. So whatever the dealer provides.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mblayton
RAudi asked the color because in the Porsche world, the color of the calipers indicates model/type/size/specs of the brakes. Caliper colors have meaning on Porsches, they’re not just random/optional cosmetic colors as on many makes.
The following users liked this post:
Dr.Pepper958.2 (01-16-2023)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:14 PM
mblayton
Intermediate

Thank you, I didn't realize the caliper color meant something. They are a silver/grey and can post a photo if that would help?
Old 06-11-2018, 02:59 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mblayton

Lol, man I'm so stupid. I meant to say, what color are the calipers. Apologies as I've been rotor shopping for the past week for two vehicles in the garage.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:11 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Your rotor sizes are:

Fronts: 360mm

Rears: 330mm

If you need new brakes, here's my program:

1. Always do new rotors and pads together. I know you can turn rotors and install new pads but I feel that the pads and the brakes can fade faster and wear faster when one decides to reuse the old rotors.

2. Always install new hardware. It's cheap and makes for a better operating system. Metal shrinks and expands, especially in this environment. Having properly working pad springs makes for a pads that wear more evenly and are less prone to squeaking.

3. Never cheap out on rotor choice. Metallurgy is real and cheap rotors are just that, cheap. I use OEM or Zimmerman. Have yet to use some of the aftermarket performance rotors (Giro, PFC, etc...) but maybe next time, if they actually make an application for our 958.

4. Pads? Well, every pad I've ever removed from my Cayenne, GT3, RS4 and Audi Q7 have either been Pagid or Brembo. I like Pagid a lot. They are my favorite and the exact same pads that came on my 2015 Q7 and the Cayenne.

Try Sonnen Or Gaudin for parts. They are cheap, comparatively speaking. No affiliation with them in any way.
I get my pads from my local import shop here in town. I'll pm you that info.

Oh and the slide pins. YES GET THEM! It makes changing the brakes incredibly easy and prevents you from chipping the paint on the caliper. Also your brakes lines are metal and you don't want to start bending them. Over time you will pop a hole through one so get the pins.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Caliper color Decoded
Old 06-12-2018, 09:03 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is what I paid for my brake job and where I got the parts from, earlier this year. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14844228
I used Zimmerman rotors (have used them on BMWs and they are perfectly fine) and Paid pads (as dusty as Porsche pads that were on the car).
Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Your choices for quality front rotors for Cayenne Diesel are :

ATE
Zimmerman
Textar
Ferodo
Brembo

For the pads:
Zimmerman
Textar
Ferodo
Brembo

All of those, in different combinations (apart from Zimmerman AFAIK), are used on various Porsche / Volkswagen / Audi cars as OEM parts (Porsche does not make those parts inhouse). You can ask your service manager, as most of the time, in their catalog next to the Porsche part # there is also a specific OEM brand mentioned.

When sourced directly from those manufacturers (without the Porsche markap), those parts are usually up to 50% cheaper.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:09 AM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My OEM front pads on my '13 CD lasted 92k miles, so when I replaced them, I bought the OEM pads through Suncoast. I wasn't too concerned about dust, but I was happy with their performance and longevity, so I didn't feel like trying to re-invent the wheel.
On past cars, I've used cheap ceramic Tire Rack pads for lower dust, and they were fine. Not quite as much bite as stock, but performed fine and low dust.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 AM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

So- I have looked through the forums and see a lot of suggestions for brake pads for 958 Cayennes. I cannot find those same brake pads that are OEM equivalent for my 2015 CS. My rotors are 360mm/330mm front/rear as the OP asked about his 2015 CD.

I looked at RM European, they dont carry pads for the 2015 958.2 CS. Couldn't find many of the brands like Pagid, Textar, EBC, Carbotech, Stoptech, even Hawk (specs seem sketchy where I prob should call them) as everyone else with a 958 is posting is what they used. Aftermarket or alternative seems to have nothing confirmed to fit on the 2015 on up. Most worked for a 350mm rotor for the earlier 958 CS.

Any suggestions? I know there is the OEM at Suncoast pads from Porsche, but its $265 vs what appears to be around $150-$180 for OE supplier pads for the 958. I may just have to pay full price somewhere if I dont find it.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2018, 02:42 AM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John Young
So- I have looked through the forums and see a lot of suggestions for brake pads for 958 Cayennes. I cannot find those same brake pads that are OEM equivalent for my 2015 CS. My rotors are 360mm/330mm front/rear as the OP asked about his 2015 CD.

I looked at RM European, they dont carry pads for the 2015 958.2 CS. Couldn't find many of the brands like Pagid, Textar, EBC, Carbotech, Stoptech, even Hawk (specs seem sketchy where I prob should call them) as everyone else with a 958 is posting is what they used. Aftermarket or alternative seems to have nothing confirmed to fit on the 2015 on up. Most worked for a 350mm rotor for the earlier 958 CS.

Any suggestions? I know there is the OEM at Suncoast pads from Porsche, but its $265 vs what appears to be around $150-$180 for OE supplier pads for the 958. I may just have to pay full price somewhere if I dont find it.

Thanks!
I have been on a long quest to look for brake pads that are low dust, low wear on the rotors, and don't squeal. While I do believe the Porsche did an excellent job with the brake design and the braking capability is impressive, I think it's overkill for street/daily driving applications; in these aggressive setups, friction is created by breaking bonds in the semi-metallic stock pads and in the softer iron rotor, resulting in faster wear for both components. I understand that nothing comes for free in the braking world, and you trade less dust for less initial bite. However, I wanted a setup where I wouldn't have to constantly clean brake dust off the beautiful and intricate platinum satin sport design wheels that came with my car. As such, I looked for ceramic pads.

My experience below pertains to my 2016 cayenne S ehybrid, with 360mm front and 330mm rear rotors.

Based on reviews I read in the 991 forums where people were looking for low-dust pads, I first I tried Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic (front pads are part number 105.13490), but then those started squealing loudly (a couple months after i installed them) under light braking load (ie. what's typically used when backing out or navigating parking lots) when the brake system was cool. Once the brakes were warmed up, there was no sound. I then decided to try the semi-metallic version of the Centric Posi-Quiet (front pads are part number 104.13490) based on recommendations from Centric stating that they would be low noise, and offer a compromise on brake dust; turns out they were dustier than the stock pads.

At this point, I knew that I needed a ceramic pad with better noise damping; this would have to be in the form of improved shims. After researching other forums (Corvette and BMW M3/M4), I came across powerstop and learned that they actually offer the widest performance range of ceramic pads, and they have rubberized shims, which I believe would help with the noise. I chose the Z16 pads because I was only going to use them for street applications and I cared a lot about noise and dust. Given their price point ($51 for the front set on amazon, part number 16-1349,
Amazon Amazon
), and the fact that the DIY brake job takes only 1.5hrs for the front when using the VW tool, I decided give these a try as well (in total, i did 7 front brake jobs, trying various combinations of pads, shim, and brake lube...good thing caliper bolts at Porsche Stevens Creek are only $4 each with tax).

People can bash all they want about these pads being cheap and made in China; I was wary of this as well. However, when I opened them up, I found them to look to be of good quality; the stamped metal backing fit perfectly, there was proper tension against the caliper springs, and there was no excess movement of the pad when sitting on the caliper posts. After the install, the pedal feel was exactly like stock. When braking (after break-in period), there is a little less initial bite, but by no means does it feel like the car stops worse than before. I can still trip the ABS with emergency type braking, so the tires (I have continental extremecontact DWS 06 in 295/35/R21) themselves are still the limiting factor. Best part of all is that there is absolutely no dust from these pads.

If you're looking for something that's higher performance, or even for the track, they have ceramic pads for a wide range of applications, and have great reviews. Their application selector is comprehensive in that it differentiates between rotor sizes and sub-models of the cayenne, so you can be sure you're picking a part number that will fit. For example, here's my configuration for the eHybrid: https://www.powerstop.com/products/#y=2016&mk=PORSCHE&mo=CAYENNE&ss=360mm%20Front%20Disc%20-%20S%2C%20S%20Hybrid%20Models

Note that since I was paranoid about squeal (after having experienced squeal with two sets of Centric Posi-Quiets), I also carried out the steps below. As such, I don't know whether the powerstop pads would squeal without these steps. People on other forums seem to be fine after just applying brake lube to the back of the pad and not using anything else in addition to the rubberized shim on the back of the powerstop pad.

1. I applied high temp ceramic brake lube to the back of the powerstop pad, and then attached the metal heat shield/shim that came off the stock Akebono pads. Just like on the stock Akebono pads, the high temp brake lube acts like an adhesive to keep this extra shim on. (I also had this extra shim on when I was trying both sets of centric pads, but they still squealed.

2. I then applied a thin coating of brake lube to the brake pistons so there would be additional isolation when contacting the extra shim i put on in step 1 above.

I also wanted to add that I'm still using the stock rotors. As long as the rotors meet minimum thickness requirements, and don't have any scratches, dimples, grooving, or pulsating feeling when you brake, you can re-use them without resurfacing/turning them. You can follow a bedding-in procedure or let the transfer film from the new pads form over 200-300miles of normal driving (however this is different for track pads that operate at high temps, which would require the bedding-in procedure to get the transfer film to form).

Last edited by chiapet15; 06-27-2018 at 03:01 AM.
jk930 (04-19-2023)
Old 06-27-2018, 12:57 PM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks! Good to see another bay area member!

I did notice the stock pads were Akebono. Did not see that information anywhere. I replaced them with Stoptech street pads which were about $90 shipped with replacement clips. Good so far, solid bite and quiet. I'd say its very similar to the stock pad. I also got the replacement bolts at Stevens Creek and after figuring out how it all worked (including getting a properly built hockey puck adaptor for raising the car up), it took only 20min. I did not need the funky VW/Porsche tool to hold the caliper. Simply remove the one rubber mount that secures the braided rubber hose from the hard brake lines, and there is enough room to prop the caliper up on a set of blocks (or a rhino ramp and yoga block for me). Checking the rotor thickness at 350mm, it had enough rotor thickness to not need replacement.

Adding this to my list of capabilities. So far replaced the oil, air filters, cabin filter, installed dashcams, and now changed the front brakepads.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:38 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Centric is the OEM manufacture of most if not all Porsche brake rotors/rings. On my 2007 GT3 they were identical to the factory rings.

Changing rotors every time you change pads is a waste. Measure the rotor... Within a few hard stops the pad wears into the rotor. Its not like you are racing and are worried about the compatibility of the pad compounds...
TheUnscented (06-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Front brake pads