Anybody Think the 958 Will be The Best Cayenne vs The New One

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:07 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Anybody Think the 958 Will be The Best Cayenne vs The New One

So - its happened before that the new model was not what the outgoing model was.

I know Porsche has worked and designed the new 2019 Cayenne and tested it to the max. One the other hand new models today require so much extra, and even more , to sell here and in other places that it has to be different compromises.

The outgoing 958 has had its share of troubles no doubt. And the DieselGate too.

But the new 2019 is more un-Porsche than most of the models, as it is an Audi underneath with Panamera goodies as I have read it. Like most Porsche new models since the 1980s it is met with oohs and ahhhs - but those can fade away quickly.

If the 958 is a "better" SUV - what do you think makes it so? Little things or big things count.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:46 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

If it handles and goes like the old one, then I'm all for it. If the underpinnings are Audi, I'm not too worried as I also have a 2015 Q7 and that car is solid. No squeaks, no rattles and smooth as silk down the road. Doesn't feel fast but it's actually got some power as it does get up to speed better than the standard Cayenne.

I love the look and the interior, although isn't as impressive as the 958 with all those buttons, looks good.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:44 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My mum is getting hers in 2 weeks time - so I will give a first hand opinion.

958 is also not a real Porsche. Under the body panels, there is a VW Tuareg. Many of those parts are also used in Audi Q7. I would say 80% of parts comes from VW, some (rear plate lights for example) are even branded ... SEAT (which is a budget VW sub brand, made in Spain).

AFAIK Cayenne is put togeter not in Porsche factory in Germany, but in a VW factory in Slovakia.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts

Parts of the Cayenne are built in a VW factory in Slovakia, but the vehicle is assembled and built in Leipzig, Germany. The new Cayenne has the interior of the new Panamera, which I do not like. I don't like those screens on the dash. Porsche is moving too much to being a luxury car from being a performance vehicle. When my wife got her Panamera (in 2015...it is a 2014 CPO), she couldn't believe it did not have push button start. I explained that it is a performance sedan with some luxury. I went and looked at the new Panamera....I said thanks but no thanks. A guy I know had the prior model, and he bought a new one. He dislikes it so much that he is considering selling it and finding a low mileage 2017. He says that the screens fingerprint badly, he has to lean over to do some things, and you have to use the screen to move the center vents.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 AM
Andre L
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elberoth

958 is also not a real Porsche. Under the body panels, there is a VW Tuareg. Many of those parts are also used in Audi Q7. I would say 80% of parts comes from VW, some (rear plate lights for example) are even branded ... SEAT (which is a budget VW sub brand, made in Spain).

AFAIK Cayenne is put togeter not in Porsche factory in Germany, but in a VW factory in Slovakia.
The 958s were built in Leipzig, Germany. All new Cayennes are built in the VW factory in Slovakia.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Elberoth
Racer

[QUOTE=Andre L;15028705]The 958s were built in Leipzig, Germany. All new Cayennes are built in the VW factory in Slovakia.[/QUOTE]

That is what I've heard from the dealer.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:49 AM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Parts of the Cayenne are built in a VW factory in Slovakia, but the vehicle is assembled and built in Leipzig, Germany. The new Cayenne has the interior of the new Panamera, which I do not like. I don't like those screens on the dash. Porsche is moving too much to being a luxury car from being a performance vehicle. When my wife got her Panamera (in 2015...it is a 2014 CPO), she couldn't believe it did not have push button start. I explained that it is a performance sedan with some luxury. I went and looked at the new Panamera....I said thanks but no thanks. A guy I know had the prior model, and he bought a new one. He dislikes it so much that he is considering selling it and finding a low mileage 2017. He says that the screens fingerprint badly, he has to lean over to do some things, and you have to use the screen to move the center vents.
Remember BMW's iDrive? Almost everything is controlled through the idrive menu, even changing the radio station. It's not safe to fiddle with the screen while driving. In my 2013 CTT I can change most things using buttons on the console without looking down and I like it that way. It looks overwhelmed at first (like the cockpit of a 747) but after you learn the pattern and what each button does it's not bad at all. All modern cars move towards touchscreen, joystick shift (or buttons) including Honda and Toyota but no one knows how to deal with fingerprint and scratches (touch screen on new Honda's are easily scratched with dry fingers). If you live in colder climate and wear gloves good luck with touch screen.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:57 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Elberoth

Pretty sure I read that only 30% of 958 parts were common with VW/Audi.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Originally Posted by skiahh
It probably depends on the engine version (VW deiesel vs Porsche's own petrol V8s). But whatever part of the car you take apart - from dash, suspension, transmission, electrical system etc. - you will find the VW/Audio logo on them. And sometimes even Seat (and most likely Skoda as well, lol).

Only most of the parts that you can see (and you cant see more than 10% of the car parts) are Porsche designs.

Take as an example the headlights. Even though the exterior design is unique to Porsche, if you take it out, all the light emiting elements / leveling systems / all modules (and there are several for EACH headlight) etc are VW branded.

Last edited by Elberoth; 05-23-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I'm sure that depends on which 958 model you're referring to. A 958 turbo? Could be. A 958 diesel? The engine, transmission, transfer case, etc.. make up a pretty big percentage of parts.

In my own view, I don't see it as a bad thing that the body shell and many parts are shared with the Touareg. The T-reg wasn't exactly a cheap vehicle, and even at that, every test I remember reading always said it was "punching above its weight class" as far as refinement, NVH, etc. Even with the shared Tdi drivetrain, the 958 is "special" enough. Throw in one of the Porsche-specific drivetrains, and you'd have to be REALLY snobby to not call it a Porsche. Just my $.02.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:04 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

The 958 will remain the best Cayenne among those of us who own one, until the new ones - used - drop in price enough that we can afford one. Then we'll forget we ever said that.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:45 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Thats certainly the conventional and prior wisdom of " buy the newest Porsche you can afford . . . ."

As far as I know though, in the design of the Cayenne and so therefore the subsequent Touareg too, Porsche had the lead in the design. Yes VW might have manufactured some parts or they batched them to go on the VW. But Porsche knew what and how that it was going to be their car/suv so I suspect for no particular reason, that the P parts probably came first.

While I am sure Porsche has learned some things in the 958 I still have to wonder some if the new ones aren't being pushed to make more money again. Yeah that happens in a way all the time. But when you go back to the first 996 it was truly apparent. Porsche was in hard times then no doubt.

Yeah the 911 is great. But the Cayenne is why Porsche is even still here as an entity. And the Cayenne, the Macan, and Panamera make the money while the 911 and its GT kissing cousins get all the ad copy.

I am going to look at one of the last few 958s just to see. I too am not a fan of the Panamera style - its just me. But this Cayenne is for Mrs TR and not me.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:54 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The 958 will remain the best Cayenne among those of us who own one, until the new ones - used - drop in price enough that we can afford one. Then we'll forget we ever said that.

BWhaaaaaaaaaa haaahaaaaaa
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

I'll stick with my 2012 CTT (orig to the tune of $150k MSRP so with ALL its gooooodies)... even WITH it's extreme accelerating depreciation!!

I've driven a dozen variants of the 2017 lineup (last year) at Summit Point Raceway,... including the Cayenne, Macan & Panamera GTS' and Turbo's. Again, I'll stick with my '12CTT.

although I do enjoy reading all the notes here on %'s of built components from Porsche vs other... keep the Intel coming...
=Steve
Old 05-24-2018, 01:15 PM
ArabianKnight
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@bweSteve-PM sent

Quick Reply: Anybody Think the 958 Will be The Best Cayenne vs The New One