Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody Think the 958 Will be The Best Cayenne vs The New One

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This talk reminds me the times I kept a Subaru WRX as a third 'fun' car for autocrossivng events. Subaru crowd initially hated the second gen cars when they came in 2000, claiming the first gen was superior. Same happend when the 3rd generation came in 2007, when suddenly the 2nd generation was 'the greatest ever'.

Needles to say, all those people ended buyng the new gen cars eventually
Old 05-24-2018, 02:51 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

^^^ ... That's not how I ended up keeping my 1991 964 Turbo (hahaha,... & yes I still think it is the greatest gen turbo they ever built,.... so I am,..... yes,... GUILTY of thinking that way. And yes, after decades of ownership.... I have been rewarded).

ArabianKnight. PM responded.
=Steve
Old 05-24-2018, 03:29 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Elberoth
It probably depends on the engine version (VW deiesel vs Porsche's own petrol V8s). But whatever part of the car you take apart - from dash, suspension, transmission, electrical system etc. - you will find the VW/Audio logo on them. And sometimes even Seat (and most likely Skoda as well, lol).

Only most of the parts that you can see (and you cant see more than 10% of the car parts) are Porsche designs.

Take as an example the headlights. Even though the exterior design is unique to Porsche, if you take it out, all the light emiting elements / leveling systems / all modules (and there are several for EACH headlight) etc are VW branded.
Audi diesel.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:40 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
But the Cayenne is why Porsche is even still here as an entity. And the Cayenne, the Macan, and Panamera make the money while the 911 and its GT kissing cousins get all the ad copy.
I think hairdressers/boxster in 1997 saved Porsche.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:47 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

There is truth to that too. ^^

The Box kept it going long enough for the Cayenne to get there and tun on the cash printing machine to send back to the Rhineland to fund all these other goodies.

I passed on the dealers Cayenne. We would rather order it just how she wants it, which we had been planning to do since the new one was on the books. So I guess I'll get to see how good ( or not ) these new ones will be.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:22 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm anxious to see some of these new 2019's get in the hands of customers. I am very intrigued by the mechanics of the new Cayenne -- suspension especially. However I am not too fond of the new haptic switches --- I like buttons So I am interested to see if the improvements in the mechanics of the car will outweigh the (negative) changes in the interface technology ..... and I never never thought I would say those words in relation to buying a new car !!!!!!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:02 AM
steven74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an Audi technician, I am very impressed with the new Q7. Overall , pretty solid and weighs on average about 400 pounds less than its predecessor. The haptic switches do take some getting used to but are easy to use after a few times. In general, the suspension design seems to be more forgiving than the older design and doesn’t wear out brakes and tires as quickly as the older models. I hope the new Cayenne will benefit from developments and a decrease in curb weight along with an increase in power should make a winning combination..
Old 05-28-2018, 03:00 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Good to know Steven. ^^^^^
Old 05-28-2018, 07:27 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

It probably depends on the engine version (VW deiesel vs Porsche's own petrol V8s). But whatever part of the car you take apart - from dash, suspension, transmission, electrical system etc. - you will find the VW/Audio logo on them. And sometimes even Seat (and most likely Skoda as well, lol).

Only most of the parts that you can see (and you cant see more than 10% of the car parts) are Porsche designs.

Take as an example the headlights. Even though the exterior design is unique to Porsche, if you take it out, all the light emiting elements / leveling systems / all modules (and there are several for EACH headlight) etc are VW branded.
Which matters, how?

With corporate ownership across marques you'll absolutely find parts from one bin in other vehicles. This has been that way since there were companies with more than one marque. GM, BMW, anything-Italian, VW, etc.

I mean, if all you want to do is whinge about it, well, that gets old.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

My mum is getting hers in 2 weeks time - so I will give a first hand opinion.

958 is also not a real Porsche. Under the body panels, there is a VW Tuareg. Many of those parts are also used in Audi Q7. I would say 80% of parts comes from VW, some (rear plate lights for example) are even branded ... SEAT (which is a budget VW sub brand, made in Spain).

AFAIK Cayenne is put togeter not in Porsche factory in Germany, but in a VW factory in Slovakia.
you'll give us a "first hand" opinion on the interior & flat screen interface once your Mum gets hers (compared to your 958),... & then what? will it make the difference for you to move off your 958?

Since your opinion is that the "958 is also not a real Porsche",... Sounds like you probably tried to talk your Mum out of buying one,... but she did it anyway.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:49 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm happy with my 15 CD. The new Cayenne won't have the button centric interface nor the diesel. I had a 2018 base Cayenne loaner for a week. A gas hog and not as smooth shifting as my CD.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:53 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

nope, it's the 957

low range for lifeeee

Quick Reply: Anybody Think the 958 Will be The Best Cayenne vs The New One