Considering 958 GTS (2013, 2014): Advice needed from Lexus owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 08:26 PM
atrac7
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Considering 958 GTS (2013, 2014): Advice needed from Lexus owner

Hello Porsche owners,

I am in the market for a 2013 or 2014 Cayenne. I preferably want the GTS due to its driving enthusiast focused nature. Before researching heavily, I had my used car year cut-off at 2015 and above. However, I was disappointed with the swich-over to the V6 on non-turbo models. I also found that the GTS body work before 2015 just had an aggressive nature to it that I really like. Seems like 2015+, the look of the Cayenne was heading more towards a "mainstream" type of styling. But that is of course subjective.

Some more background about me: My last few cars have been sedans, and this is my first foray into SUVs since the wife and I are planning on doing the whole kids thing, but I do not want to give up spirited driving that I can find on a car lower to the ground. Today I drive the current generation Lexus GS350 (RWD, 3.5L). It has a lot of bells and whistles that I am worried I may not get on the Porsche unless I find a heavily optioned vehicle (or not available at all...like head up display). More importantly: I have been spoiled by reliability with my current car. I always hear Porsche's are great in this regards, but then also continually read that I should go with a CPO "just to be safe". To me, reliability isn't just about $ saved, but also the need to NOT go into the dealership so commonly to get things assessed and fixed. A car can have the best warranty in the world, but I still would rather not always have to make a trip (or towed) into a dealership. How are the Cayenne GTS in that regards? Things like the transfer case going bad have scared me recently in this regard...

Here are some initial bulleted inquiries I have:
  • Reliability concerns for 2013/2014. Is one year markedly better than the other?
  • Primary differences between 2013/2014: Aesthetic/features/interiors/performance
  • Standard features: This is a big concern since Porsche seems to be quite greedy on making sure you tack on everything. On many pictures I have browsed, it looks like many steering wheels do not even have standard audio controls/quick menu interaction controls. On these models, are these at the rear of the wheel like many Chevrolet vehicles? How about push to start? Or are we still in the days of cranking the ignition old school?
  • Is it safe to buy a higher mileage vehicle> I.e above 60k?
  • What are features I can live WITHOUT. I am not tracking this car. I enjoy good performance on entrance/exit ramps, overtaking on the highway and local roads. I live in Dallas where congestion is so heavy that I doubt I can truly push most cars to their max potential. I definitely want the air suspension though.
  • In 2018, how would you rate the center infotainment display system? Is it super out of date? How is the navigation interface? I am coming from a 12.3 inch massive display on my Lexus, so I understand I am probably going to take a slight hit on this front. I just don't want it to be useless.
I know it's a long list, and I will likely have more. Anything to shed light would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to being a Porsche owner one day soon
Old 05-20-2018, 10:32 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I bought my 2014 GTS from Park Place in Dallas in 2016 as a CPO. I love it - and I come from a long line of sport sedans also (750, E55, GS350, etc). The sound alone is worth staying with 2014 - there is no replacement for the V8 with sport exhaust. PM me if you want my sales consultant’s name - he was great to work with.

I don’t have PDCC or PTV and I don’t miss them at all since this is my daily driver and I get my giggles from my 996TT. I find the nav system and user interface is fine and the steering wheel controls do what I need them to do. It isn’t like all the brand new high tech stuff but it works and I like it. The audio controls etc are all on the front of the wheel, some as click wheels, some as buttons. My ignition has a permanent plastic fob installed that I turn when I get in the car - no stop/start button but this keeps the Porsche left hand key alive which is an awesome thing in itself. I also have the full leather interior instead of the alcantera and I like it a lot more this way.

Mine has been ultra reliable for the 30k miles I’ve driven, save for a few small non-critical fixes under warranty. I still would say to find a CPO vehicle if your budget allows, because even though it is reliable, when something does break it will probably be expensive.

Buy the newest you can afford of the version you like the most. I’d go with a 14 since it is the last of the V8s and seems to be in fairly high demand.

Best of luck - Lexus makes a great car but they all bore me to death (at least the ones I can afford). The GTS is a joy to drive - it always feels special.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:29 AM
jlusby
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My advice would be to test drive a few different models - S, GTS, Turbo, heck maybe even a Turbo S and find out what you like and don’t like. My guess is that they will drive very different from your Lexus and you may not enjoy the feel of the road in some models compared to others. Once you narrow it down, then search the Porsche CPO website for that model. I started wanting a GTS and then drove the Turbo and decided I liked the more options on the Turbo and prices were about the same. Then I came across the Turbo S that had the interior I wanted with the rest of the options and have had it for almost a year and have loved it every day!

It will never be as reliable as your Lexus, but how many times do you smile when you start your Lexus?

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 PM
atrac7
Advanced

Originally Posted by leftlane
I bought my 2014 GTS from Park Place in Dallas in 2016 as a CPO. I love it - and I come from a long line of sport sedans also (750, E55, GS350, etc). The sound alone is worth staying with 2014 - there is no replacement for the V8 with sport exhaust. PM me if you want my sales consultant’s name - he was great to work with.

I don’t have PDCC or PTV and I don’t miss them at all since this is my daily driver and I get my giggles from my 996TT. I find the nav system and user interface is fine and the steering wheel controls do what I need them to do. It isn’t like all the brand new high tech stuff but it works and I like it. The audio controls etc are all on the front of the wheel, some as click wheels, some as buttons. My ignition has a permanent plastic fob installed that I turn when I get in the car - no stop/start button but this keeps the Porsche left hand key alive which is an awesome thing in itself. I also have the full leather interior instead of the alcantera and I like it a lot more this way.

Mine has been ultra reliable for the 30k miles I’ve driven, save for a few small non-critical fixes under warranty. I still would say to find a CPO vehicle if your budget allows, because even though it is reliable, when something does break it will probably be expensive.

Buy the newest you can afford of the version you like the most. I’d go with a 14 since it is the last of the V8s and seems to be in fairly high demand.

Best of luck - Lexus makes a great car but they all bore me to death (at least the ones I can afford). The GTS is a joy to drive - it always feels special.
Thanks for the detailed response, good to see a quick response from a Dallas local as well! I was going to check our Park Place this week actually. Hopefully their used inventory has a lot of options. I have also seen some decent deals that are tempting from third party dealerships. Some are a bit higher mileage, but I have typically been fortunate with high mileage cars in the past before since many are highway miles. Does $37,500 for 70k miles on a 2013 GTS sound like a good deal? It looks pretty fully loaded such as having the panoramic roof, full rear HVAC controls, etc

Originally Posted by jlusby
My advice would be to test drive a few different models - S, GTS, Turbo, heck maybe even a Turbo S and find out what you like and don’t like. My guess is that they will drive very different from your Lexus and you may not enjoy the feel of the road in some models compared to others. Once you narrow it down, then search the Porsche CPO website for that model. I started wanting a GTS and then drove the Turbo and decided I liked the more options on the Turbo and prices were about the same. Then I came across the Turbo S that had the interior I wanted with the rest of the options and have had it for almost a year and have loved it every day!

It will never be as reliable as your Lexus, but how many times do you smile when you start your Lexus?

Good luck!
Thanks as well. When it comes to the turbos on these cars, how much more do I need to factor in for potential issues? Sounds like you have had no problems thus far, so that is a good sign.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Daintee
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the same exact position as you around 6 months ago. I tried at 2016 GTS but didn't gel with the lack of noise. In the end I bought a 2014 GTS CPOd with 78,000 miles on the clock from a great dealer in New Hampshire. Price was $42k which I think was a pretty good deal. Since then I've added some small spacers on the wheels, added replaced the chrome lettering with black and finally installed a set of high-flow secondary cats. Overall I'm very happy with the car - has been reliable apart from a couple of gremlins caused by the previous owner spilling some liquid on the center console. I don't use the satnav as prefer to have a custom phone mount and use Waze. I'm actually hoping to move to Dallas in the next few months - if you're still looking then let me know and I'll show you around mine. Good luck with the search!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:07 PM
atrac7
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daintee
I was in the same exact position as you around 6 months ago. I tried at 2016 GTS but didn't gel with the lack of noise. In the end I bought a 2014 GTS CPOd with 78,000 miles on the clock from a great dealer in New Hampshire. Price was $42k which I think was a pretty good deal. Since then I've added some small spacers on the wheels, added replaced the chrome lettering with black and finally installed a set of high-flow secondary cats. Overall I'm very happy with the car - has been reliable apart from a couple of gremlins caused by the previous owner spilling some liquid on the center console. I don't use the satnav as prefer to have a custom phone mount and use Waze. I'm actually hoping to move to Dallas in the next few months - if you're still looking then let me know and I'll show you around mine. Good luck with the search!
Thank you for the input. I am glad you mentioned you got a higher mileage one because it gives me confidence that high miles on these vehicles shouldn't be too big of a concern. Coming from typically rock solid Japanese reliability has turned me paranoid of everything else. Good to know i should relax a little.

What part of Dallas are you moving to? And thanks for offering to let me check out your car!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Daintee
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at around Roanoke maybe Aug/Sept this year. Need to sell my place in NY first.

As with all cars buy on condition and if in doubt get it checked out. My car had $5k of work done as part of the CPO process before I bought it - servicing, brakes etc.

Quick Reply: Considering 958 GTS (2013, 2014): Advice needed from Lexus owner