Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Advice Needed Cayenne S vs Audi Q7

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

"Spoiler alert! Panamera turbo placed 4th out of 4, and it is be the lighter, lower version of the CTT. They weren't a fan of the new controls either".

The controls are horrible IMO. I picked up a loaded base unit Panamera we bought for the company I worked for and drove it around for awhile. Compared to my '12S and the Macan S loaners I've had recently the touch button controls are a significant step backwards.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quickster2
"Spoiler alert! Panamera turbo placed 4th out of 4, and it is be the lighter, lower version of the CTT. They weren't a fan of the new controls either".

The controls are horrible IMO. I picked up a loaded base unit Panamera we bought for the company I worked for and drove it around for awhile. Compared to my '12S and the Macan S loaners I've had recently the touch button controls are a significant step backwards.
I understand the new centre console controls are capacitive (not glove compatible). It is very cold where I live. Not sure I'd like to be messing with the controls with either bare hands (when it's -30 C or colder out) or the hit/miss touchscreen gloves out there.

Also, bit of a correction on the '19 Cayenne build numbers I cited, it included all the performance goodies (PDCC, PTV, PSCB), which don't really have equivalents on the Q7 side, to my knowledge. Canadian Porsche Code PKNC7997. Pretty easy build, just tick everything off lol.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,143 Likes on 3,915 Posts

Originally Posted by quickster2
the touch button controls are a significant step backwards.
They always are, but until the market starts telling that story, the trend won't change. An '09 is currently my newest vehicle in a fleet of 6 and I'm perfectly fine with that. I live where there's no salt on the roads and will keep these running as long as I can, likely for decades yet, as long as there's fuel. 2 of them are a 74 and a 79 and they get driven multiple times a week. They don't turn themselves off at stop lights, I can feel where the controls are while looking at the road, and I don't need to pay someone $150-$200 / hour to fix them. Progress isn't always progress.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:05 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Again, I appreciate all the great comments. You can probably tell I am trying to strike a balance between performance and interior/electronics, keeping in mind this is still an SUV. As I mentioned in my initial post, my MB is a barge and while everyone who gets in it seems to fall in love, driving it is not nearly as much fun. I know there have been questions about cross-shopping the Cayenne vs Q7, but my research shows the new Q7 is just below the Cayenne in overall performance and probably has a more updated interior, particularly given the fact I am looking at the last gen Cayenne. I don't need the 3rd row but I do need the cargo space of the SUV, which puts me here. FYI, I absolutely love the Macan, but I am afraid it is a little shy on interior space. The PDK is simply spectacular. (I just drove a 2016 Panamera 4S last week and didn't want to get out.)
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golftime
Again, I appreciate all the great comments. You can probably tell I am trying to strike a balance between performance and interior/electronics, keeping in mind this is still an SUV. As I mentioned in my initial post, my MB is a barge and while everyone who gets in it seems to fall in love, driving it is not nearly as much fun. I know there have been questions about cross-shopping the Cayenne vs Q7, but my research shows the new Q7 is just below the Cayenne in overall performance and probably has a more updated interior, particularly given the fact I am looking at the last gen Cayenne. I don't need the 3rd row but I do need the cargo space of the SUV, which puts me here. FYI, I absolutely love the Macan, but I am afraid it is a little shy on interior space. The PDK is simply spectacular. (I just drove a 2016 Panamera 4S last week and didn't want to get out.)
The answer is Cayenne S-GTS-Turbo-Diesel. At no point when I drove the new Q7 last year did I think performance as one of it's highlights or a competitive advantage. I thought fit and finish/ size/ comfort/amenities were it's strong suits. We also had a couple new X5's from the store for Monterey car week. Don't get me wrong the q7 was very nice to drive, but would come 3rd behind a nice Cayenne S/GTS then X5 then Q7. If I was looking for the most luxurious ride the q7 would win. I did a canyon run in the Q7 chasing CJ (owner of store) on his bike... the vehicle was not a happy camper. BTW the Q7 and X5 I preferred the luxuriousness of the Q7 vs the X5 performance orientation. However, the X5 fell under the Cayenne in all categories without price considered w/ price considered the X5 offers a compelling pkg.

I have a 2011 Cayenne S bc I love the way it drives- its on rails compared to most SUVs with PDCC,PTV,PASM on 20's.

That's my .02
Old 03-26-2018, 05:27 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm suprised you rate the fit & finish of the Q7 higher.

I have the 958 with premium leather dash option, premium leather seats and to me Porsche is a much more luxurious place to be. I also have air suspension and 19" wheels, and to me 958 also rides better than the Q7.

That comes form a long time Audi fan and owner,

Quick Reply: Advice Needed Cayenne S vs Audi Q7