Drive Train Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:05 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drive Train Sounds

Hi Folks,

We have a 2015 Cayenne-S, with about 30,000 Miles. The symptoms are, after 30 minutes or so of driving, and when starting up from a dead stop there is a small, but noticeable, clunking sound when the vechicle shifts from 1 to 2. It seems to be coming from the back end. I took it into the dealer who did a test drive but did not notice any clunking. But I do not think they did a 30 minute drive, but rather let it sit all day then did a quick round the block test. As I noted it only happens after about 30 minutes of driving. The clunking lasts only a few seconds, maybe 3 - 4 ‘clunks’ then goes away at higher speeds/gears. So the question is, has anybody here experienced the same? The next time it goes in, which is a week away as I have to go out of town, I will try and arrange for an immediate test drive after I drop the vechicle off, I will drive and they can just sit and listen.

One other note, is the clunking is louder if you are going uphill when the 1 to 2 shift occurs.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

First place to start would be checking the ATF fluid level following instructions in the manual (some cars have to be running and in gear to check the level, not sure what is required for Cayennes). If the level is OK, smell the transmission fluid. If there is any sort of burned smell, change the fluid and the filter in the transmission (drop the pan to do that). A professional flush would be even better than you draining the fluid and replacing the filter then refilling with new ATF as that would remove more of the old ATF. A home flush would be to run new fluid and filter for maybe 1000 miles, then change the fluid and filter again. After that you should be as good as a pro flush if you want to DIY
Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Sctanton52, I'll be moving this to the 958 subforum. It's actually very unlikely that it's a transmission problem. It's about 100% certain it's a transfer case issue. 958's don't have transmission problems - I've yet to hear of a single one needing any sort of transmission work. It appears ZF did a good job on the 8 speed transmission, but a crappola job on the transfer case.

Take a look at the stickies in the 958 section. Then find a dealer who cares - or at least has some experience and just say "Transfer Case - replace it.." On a 2015 Porsche will be paying for it.

Hang on now - moving the thread.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks very much for moving the thread to the correct subforum. I have a good relationship with my dealer,....or so I think? I have bought 3 vechicles from them, including a recent 2017 911 Turbo-S Cab. Transfer case problems does seem to make sense, the clunk is from the rear end only. I will update this thread as I move along, I drove it today and noticed the same issue after about 40 minutes of driving.

Quick Reply: Drive Train Sounds