Squeaking brakes on 17 V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:29 AM
Rbradleysd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking brakes on 17 V6

Hey All-

I’ve got about 11k on my Cayenne and my brakes are beginning to squeak more incessantly. I just had it in for service and the pads are fine so it’s not a replacement issue but more I’m assuming a combination of older pads and a heavy car. Any remedies that have worked for anyone?

Thanks for any help
Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

does it fall into this category? Evidently there is "supposed to be" some squeak.....

Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

I've seen that video and don't agree with it. I have 6 cars, do all my own brake work and none of them squeek - maybe on a race car with high heat compounds you might get some noise before they're up to temperature, but on a street car they should be silent. You may have a rubbing noise especially if you run slotted or drilled rotors, but not an annoying squeal.

You need to quell the vibration between the back of the pad and the caliper piston using either the OEM pad dampeners or some brake anti-squeal paste that is applied to the back of the pad before assembly. The goal is to stick the caliper pistons to the back of the pad so they can't oscillate when braking and emit the sound.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Rbradleysd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikeearly
does it fall into this category? Evidently there is "supposed to be" some squeak.....

Porsche Brakes Squeak
Yeah I saw that. Sounds like a whole lot of deflecting a design flaw if you ask me. If other luxury brands can provide similar braking levels silently why can’t Porsche? Seems like they just don’t want to admit it’s a real issue
Old 02-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Rbradleysd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
I've seen that video and don't agree with it. I have 6 cars, do all my own brake work and none of them squeek - maybe on a race car with high heat compounds you might get some noise before they're up to temperature, but on a street car they should be silent. You may have a rubbing noise especially if you run slotted or drilled rotors, but not an annoying squeal.

You need to quell the vibration between the back of the pad and the caliper piston using either the OEM pad dampeners or some brake anti-squeal paste that is applied to the back of the pad before assembly. The goal is to stick the caliper pistons to the back of the pad so they can't oscillate when braking and emit the sound.

Thank you! Dumb question but would you take it to the dealer and complain or just have my local shop apply this and move on?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbradleysd
Yeah I saw that. Sounds like a whole lot of deflecting a design flaw if you ask me. If other luxury brands can provide similar braking levels silently why can’t Porsche? Seems like they just don’t want to admit it’s a real issue
What other luxury performance brands don't have brakes that make noise that can still stop like a Porsche? That said, mine don't make noise 95% of the time.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Rbradleysd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
What other luxury performance brands don't have brakes that make noise that can still stop like a Porsche? That said, mine don't make noise 95% of the time.
My Q5 had excellent brakes. Same with my BMW’s and heck even my Touareg was great. None of them ever squeaked. Same went for my GS350, Z4, 325i etc.

I’ll be honest thou: the brakes on my V6 Cayenne are decent but by no means would I consider them amazing. I assume the higher models have larger brakes that probably are amazing thou. They get the job done fine but the squeaking is a bit lame 😀

Quick Reply: Squeaking brakes on 17 V6