Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011-2014 V8 - serious issue - Coolant Pipe Glue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 10:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Looking at the photo - is the black thing at the top the Y connector to the intake? If so - removing that, and perhaps the throttle-body might make room enough to easily access the two junctions. Make me think about doing it, once it warms up in the garage a bit. I like the high-temperature JBWeld - looks like just what we'd want.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:43 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its fairly easy to detect when these are going to fail. If you can wiggle either pipe coming out, you know you need to start planning on replacement or some kind of repair. If I had one of these I would opt for the installing the updated housing but not replacing the water pump or the thermostat. They just dont seem to be problems yet.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:53 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Guess I'll need to peek under there tomorrow and see what I've got. First thing I noticed on the car was a slight coolant smell. I pulled covers and looked everywhere with mirrors and all. Dealer had it for the recall and said water pump. Price for water pump and tstat=$2189.00. Now I understand why but they didn't mention the housing at all.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:35 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by edde
Guess I'll need to peek under there tomorrow and see what I've got. First thing I noticed on the car was a slight coolant smell. I pulled covers and looked everywhere with mirrors and all. Dealer had it for the recall and said water pump. Price for water pump and tstat=$2189.00. Now I understand why but they didn't mention the housing at all.
My water pump just failed at 99K miles while I had it in for the AH08 recall. They quoted around $1350 for the pump and tstat so your quote seems a bit high unless they're replacing other things as well. I'm doing my own along with the serpentine belt and saving about $700 over what the dealer wanted for similar work. It's a fairly easy job if you're mechanically inclined and have the space to do the work.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM
edde
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom M
My water pump just failed at 99K miles while I had it in for the AH08 recall. They quoted around $1350 for the pump and tstat so your quote seems a bit high unless they're replacing other things as well. I'm doing my own along with the serpentine belt and saving about $700 over what the dealer wanted for similar work. It's a fairly easy job if you're mechanically inclined and have the space to do the work.
Indeed their price was steep enough I made the guy repeat himself. He also quoted a transfer case job at $5100 so at least they're consistent! I looked at the water pump for about 2 seconds and decided I'd do this myself. Gonna be like a walk in the park compared to a transverse mounted engine with twin cams and a timing belt.

Darn, mine is like this.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Indeed their price was steep enough I made the guy repeat himself. He also quoted a transfer case job at $5100 so at least they're consistent! I looked at the water pump for about 2 seconds and decided I'd do this myself. Gonna be like a walk in the park compared to a transverse mounted engine with twin cams and a timing belt.

Darn, mine is like this.
JBWeld my son.. JBWeld..
Old 02-13-2018, 05:02 PM
edde
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
JBWeld my son.. JBWeld..
Lol, I'm all about it. I recently fixed a leaking fuel rail on a 6 cyl Volvo with it. Perfect.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:43 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
It's a fairly easy job if you're mechanically inclined and have the space to do the work.
Is there a DIY somewhere? Of course I have the glued pipes and of course this will always be in the back of my mind if I don't take care of it.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:09 AM
edde
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by MountainStone
Is there a DIY somewhere? Of course I have the glued pipes and of course this will always be in the back of my mind if I don't take care of it.
I think he was primarily responding to the water pump failure. But it looks to me like the pipes might maybe possibly be cleaned and cemented without removal. Roughen and chemically clean the union area then apply jbweld and wait - as long as it says to. I gather that removal means the intake comes off so a little higher level of challenge. Not sure why they couldn't be TIG welded at this point assuming I'm looking at aluminum. If the pipes actually come apart from the housing then I'd try and get some inside the cleaned joint.

Still have to say I get a chuckle from the idea of Porsches running around on jbweld.
The following users liked this post:
Matador1 (08-20-2021)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:05 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still have to say I get a chuckle from the idea of Porsches running around on jbweld.
Same here!

TXCOMT
Old 02-15-2018, 01:19 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCOMT
Same here!
Same here, which is why I'm hoping there is a DIY somewhere on replacing the thermostat or thermostat housing (or water pump, which should entail identical procedures).
The following users liked this post:
TheUnscented (12-25-2020)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainStone
Same here, which is why I'm hoping there is a DIY somewhere on replacing the thermostat or thermostat housing (or water pump, which should entail identical procedures).
The DIY for the 955/957 should pretty much work for the thermostat and water pump but the housing removal is different based on the research I did for replacing my water pump. For peace of mind I broke down and subscribed to the AllDataDIY site for a year in order to replace my failed water pump. At 99K miles I also did preventative replacement the thermostat and serpentine belt. The latter still looked good so I'll be keeping it as a spare along with the still working thermostat.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Interesting thread on this on 6speedonline: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4697942 - it's for the earlier 957 V8, and starts out as a water pump replacement, but quickly evolves into a glue the pipes back in thread.. Good read. Seeing the prices dealers are quoting for a water pump - I'm glad I had mine done (for just the cost of the pump - around $330) when the engine was out to fix the bollix on replacing the Variocam adjusters.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:34 PM
GlenC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 957 mentioned above Here
One of the things I noticed was the inside of the housing was so smooth, it seemed it was machined for o-rings, not glue. When the pipes came out the glue was really stuck to the pipes, but none on housing. I hope my roughing the surface solves the problem. tubes/pipes are a rather loose fit. I'll have to see how well the epoxy does with the heat.

Glen
Old 03-17-2018, 06:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I think I'm heading to the JBWeld website again to order some epoxy. I get the occasional wiff of coolant odor when the temperature (outside and engine) is just right. No sign of actual coolant, or coolant loss in the reservoir - but I was able to wiggle the end of the starboard (passenger side in US) pipe just a tiny bit, so.. I think I'll see if it's possible to do without removing the throttle body and intake manifold.

If it's not one thing.. it's another..

Quick Reply: 2011-2014 V8 - serious issue - Coolant Pipe Glue