Sponsored By:

PASM and SPORT, SPORT PLUS MODES

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:36 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PASM and SPORT, SPORT PLUS MODES

I have researched this question and can't find an answer. I have not been able to find an answer in the Porsche manuals either. My question has to do with the relationship between PASM suspension adjustments and SPORT, SPORT PLUS modes for engine/transmission setup. PASM (with or without AIR SUSPENSION) has three settings: COMFORT, SPORT, AND SPORT PLUS. To make it confusing, there is also a SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes for engine/transmission setups. I know that turning on either SPORT or SPORT PLUS modes for engine/transmission setup also changes the PASM system to SPORT or SPORT PLUS mode (at least I think I know this from the Porsche manual). I also think I know that in SPORT or SPORT PLUS mode for engine/transmission setup, PASM can be adjusted individually, say to COMFORT. But my question is: Does changing the PASM mode to SPORT, for example, change the engine/transmission setup to SPORT mode? I hope not. I want to be able to select suspension modes without changing engine/transmission dynamics. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:22 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question...the answer is pretty easy: PASM strictly affects suspension, but it takes input from the engine. Perhaps that's where the confusion comes from; for a nice explanation, check out this page on a Cayman site and scroll down to the PASM section.

https://caymanregister.org/faq.php?faq=models

TXCOMT
Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks TXCOMT. I am pretty familiar with how PASM works. So the answer is that the PASM settings (COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS) only affect suspension dynamics and do not change engine/transmission dynamics. Correct?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 AM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've gathered from a variety of sources (including Porsche), no, but I'm sure others who are better versed in PASM's nuances will chime in if I'm wrong.

TXCOMT
Old 01-24-2018, 09:43 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,956 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
Thanks TXCOMT. I am pretty familiar with how PASM works. So the answer is that the PASM settings (COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS) only affect suspension dynamics and do not change engine/transmission dynamics. Correct?

I can only go by what I have experienced in my 958 GTS.

Choosing Sport in PASM doesnt affect engine map, but taking a set of corners aggressively does change the transmission map and car starts to hold gears and doesnt upshift until I drive normally for a little while.That said, same tends to happen if I drive aggressively in Normal mode as well

Choosing SPORT mode (not-Pasm related) changes engine map, trans map, ppens exhaust baffles, defaults PASM to "sport" and car tends to hold gears regardless of how you are driving.
I wish Porsche were more like Tesla (I can see people shaking their heads) where cars were backwards upgrade-able (software wise). Newer GTS /Turbo models did separate Exhaust button from engine Map, and ever newer models now let the driver customize some settings which I wish was possible with my car.
I would want Normal Trans map, open baffles and Sport Engine Map.. All the time
Old 01-24-2018, 09:49 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Correct, PASM and PAS are independent of engine/transmission mappings. I believe triggering Sport or Sport+ modes (the engine/trans ones) will also bump the PASM mode, but not vice-versa. I know activating Sport mode in my '17 GTS causes PAS to move from Low to the normal height position, but I don't know if it changes the reaction modes or not. I also know you can override this and move PAS back. Raising above low, on the GTS, allows for more suspension travel, which may be more useful for varied road conditions.

So to answer your question, yes, with PAS and/or PASM you can choose whatever settings you prefer, independent of the Sport/+ engine/trans modes. Truth be told I don't use Sport mode all that frequently (and I do like 'spirited' driving). For track situations it's great. But for daily driving the regular shifting/throttle patterns are already more aggressive than you'll likely find in other SUVs. I also don't detect much in the way of obvious difference when switching the PASM modes. But then I tend to drive with PAS in Low most of the time. It likely has more effect when riding with a higher setting.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I would want Normal Trans map, open baffles and Sport Engine Map.. All the time
I agree with you on that. Separating throttle mapping and idle from how the transmission holds upshifts would make for a nice compromise. The way it 'hangs onto' downshifts... it's a bit over-zealous at times. It almost 'taunts' you... c'mon.... GET BACK ON IT!.... oh, that's it? Well, (sullenly upshifting) nevermind then...
Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,956 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I agree with you on that. Separating throttle mapping and idle from how the transmission holds upshifts would make for a nice compromise. The way it 'hangs onto' downshifts... it's a bit over-zealous at times. It almost 'taunts' you... c'mon.... GET BACK ON IT!.... oh, that's it? Well, (sullenly upshifting) nevermind then...
lol exactly.. well put..
Old 01-24-2018, 10:55 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks everyone for your answers. Always very helpful.

Quick Reply: PASM and SPORT, SPORT PLUS MODES