Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Access to 958 CTT Coolant Expansion Reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:40 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Access to 958 CTT Coolant Expansion Reservoir?

I didn’t see anything here in Rennlist or elsewhere online that shows how to expose/access the coolant expansion tank so that I can inspect the tank and fittings for a possible leak.

Can someone help me out?

TIA.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:10 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

All you have to do is pull off the plastic engine bay cover. Am I misunderstanding your question?
Old 01-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Texas993
Race Car

WM 194019 Removing and installing coolant reservoir

Technical values

Preliminary work

1. Remove front cover (engine compartment) at the right.
  2. Remove right cross panel.
Removing coolant reservoir

WARNING

Hot fluid
  • Danger of scalding
--Avoid contact with hot fluid.
--Wear personal protective gear.

Information
After pulling off the hoses, close off all openings immediately using commercially available rubber stoppers.

When fitting parts, do not remove stoppers until shortly before installation.

Component overview of coolant reservoir

1. Drain the coolant reservoir -1- using suction.
  2. Remove the bleeder valve bracket -6- from the coolant reservoir -1- .
  3. Slide the hose clamp back and pull the breather hose -4- off the coolant reservoir.
  4. Unscrew fastening screw -3- .
  5. Remove coolant reservoir -1- from the guides -7- by pulling it towards the centre -arrow- .

Removing coolant reservoir

1. Release and pull off electric plug connection -2- from the water level sensor.
  2. Clamp off the coolant hose -5- .
  3. Release locking mechanism on the coolant hose and pull the coolant hose -5- off the coolant reservoir.
Installing coolant reservoir

1. The coolant reservoir is installed in reverse order to removal.
  2. Insert the coolant reservoir into the brackets on the floor and tighten fastening screw to -- Tightening torque: 9 Nm (6.5 ftlb.) .
  3. Fill in coolant.
Subsequent work

1. Install right cross panel.
  2. Install front cover (engine compartment) at the right.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:49 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Perfect, that did the trick.

I didn’t see any sign of a leak associated with the expansion tank, but where it drips on the undercarriage and then on the ground is right below the reservoir. So I haven’t completely ruled it out yet, since the conditions today aren’t when the slow drip occurs anyway.

This intermittent ‘drip’ I’ve mentioned previously only occurs in unusually cold temps and when the vehicle has been sitting unused (daytime high in the 20s or below). Other than that (like now that it’s back in the 40s), no problem. I describe it here in this thread I posted last month... https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-2011-ctt.html

I’ll just have the dealer look at it again (they checked it early last year for the same thing and found nothing, even with a pressure test). I’ll have them check it at the time I bring it in for the AH08 recall.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:39 PM
Texas993
Race Car

You know, I have the same 1" spot of coolant by the front passenger tire on very cold days. My tech suggested that I change the coolant tank cap ($18). I changed it, but it hasn't been cold enough to leak again. Strange symptom that a few have experienced based on your other post. I did get my thermostat housing replaced in the past.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:48 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texas993
You know, I have the same 1" spot of coolant by the front passenger tire on very cold days. My tech suggested that I change the coolant tank cap ($18). I changed it, but it hasn't been cold enough to leak again. Strange symptom that a few have experienced based on your other post. I did get my thermostat housing replaced in the past.
Very interesting to hear that! Yes, sounds like what I’ve been experiencing. Same place, same conditions.

Also interesting to hear you’ve already had the thermostat housing replaced and it still occurs. I was thinking that might be the cause based on other stuff I’ve read, but perhaps not? I’m thinking along the lines of something (a loose hose fitting maybe) that contracts/shrinks enough when really cold to allow a slow drip to escape? It’s still a mystery, and I noticed it on mine over a year ago, and as I mentioned before the dealer checked it once already.

Other than the specific conditions mentioned, it’s fine the other 99% of the time. Weird!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Texas993
Race Car

When my thermostat housing was replaced, I had a lot of leakage. Low coolant light came on. So it is likely a separate issue. Keep us posted.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:00 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texas993
When my thermostat housing was replaced, I had a lot of leakage. Low coolant light came on. So it is likely a separate issue. Keep us posted.
I see. So that further tells me that it probably isn’t the thermostat housing causing this mysterious cold weather minor leak since yours does it even after having the new thermostat housing installed.

I’ll certainly provide updates if something comes to light. Please do the same as well.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:20 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Now that the mid-Atlantic region where I live is out of the extreme deep freeze we had been in for quite a while, and temps are more seasonal for this time of year, it’s dry as a bone. No drips whatsoever, as is typically the case. The mystery of the ‘deep freeze drip’ continues.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:59 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I recall someone with a slow coolant leak said it was solved by replacing the o-rings in the hose connections. YMMV.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:18 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by r553
I recall someone with a slow coolant leak said it was solved by replacing the o-rings in the hose connections. YMMV.
Hmm, that would make sense...if one of the o-rings was compromised a bit, extreme cold could shrink things enough to start a slow drip. Definitely a possibility. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Access to 958 CTT Coolant Expansion Reservoir?