Sponsored By:

Window tint / film.. 50%?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Window tint / film.. 50%?

I made an appointment next month to have all the windows on my CD done with 3M Color Stable film. Headlights are still glaring at night even with the auto-dimming mirrors, and the privacy glass...isn't. I don't want to go crazy dark like I would if I still lived in Florida (I'm in PA), but just something a bit darker would look good on the Moonlight Blue, and I like how it stays cooler in the summer and at the track. Does anyone have photos of ALL the windows done in something more mild? The previous owner already had the front windows done in a VERY light tint - looks to be 50% or so, so I'm going to have him do a second layer, or scrape and do one darker layer.

Thinking about also doing the pano roof mainly for heat rejection - 50% there too?

For reference, this is mine as it sits.

Last edited by Eskimo1; 01-18-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:17 PM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The place i got my tint done was willing to tint to any thing I asked. But he was really pushing the legal tint. He said that if all your windows match the cop knows your fronts are too dark. If the backs are darker than the fronts you look legal. So if you make the fronts darker than than legal you may want to make the backs darker so the fronts are still lighter. I dont know if he was just trying to get paid for 2 more windows or if he is right. I have just heard that northern states can get upset at dark tint.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

I have 50% on the driver/passenger windows which is the the legal limit in MN. Been stopped in the past with 35% on an Audi. Decided to not give an excuse to stop me. Name:  photo435.jpg
Views: 9408
Size:  977.0 KBThe factory privacy glass isn't very dark so the 50% matches well. I had 20% installed on the tailgate window to cut the headlights and provide more security for the storage area. The primary objective for me is to cut the UVs. The side windows do not cut UVs unless they are laminated or film is added. 50% cuts headlights a bit but not enough to reduce the irritant. 3m has a tint to cut the heat which is something I would consider in a warmer climate. A link to state laws http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/glass-window-tinting/.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,956 Likes on 934 Posts

Here in NC our legal limit is 38% but I decided to go with 40% all around just to be safe. It made a huge difference in cutting heat (I have a black on black GTS)

As for both the Pano roof and the windshield, I decided to go with UV blocker only.. works great in summer
Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

When I did my Turbo S, at my wife's request, I had dark tint used (darker than allowed), including the front driver and passenger sides, and it's too dark. Glares on the inside like crazy at night and also makes it hard to look left when pulling out and know the exact distance that a car is. It's coming off as part of the widebody build while the doors are apart and I'm going with the lighter (legal) grade I have on both my 928 and 997 just on those two front windows. Here are pics of the Cayenne, 928 and 997. With the cars closed up, the tint looks darker that it actually is, except on the Cayenne where it's dark no matter what. Ceramic tints, like #M Crystalline, will block more heat with less darkness than traditional tint film will.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:23 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
I have 50% on the driver/passenger windows which is the the legal limit in MN. Been stopped in the past with 35% on an Audi. Decided to not give an excuse to stop me. Attachment 1274669The factory privacy glass isn't very dark so the 50% matches well. I had 20% installed on the tailgate window to cut the headlights and provide more security for the storage area. The primary objective for me is to cut the UVs. The side windows do not cut UVs unless they are laminated or film is added. 50% cuts headlights a bit but not enough to reduce the irritant. 3m has a tint to cut the heat which is something I would consider in a warmer climate. A link to state laws http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/glass-window-tinting/.
So you did 50% on all 8 of the side windows and 20% on the rear? Or just 50% on the front windows, 20% on the rear, and nothing on the rear-seat windows and hatch side windows? Yours looks really good!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

The rear 2 windows are factory. The fronts are 50% film. I had 20% added over the factory tint on the tailgate. Here is a picture in different light.

Name:  photo331.jpg
Views: 2961
Size:  884.3 KB
Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Here is mine...

40% all around, the rear ends up near 35% due to factory tint on rear windows

Windshield has UV blocker

Old 01-18-2018, 11:31 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Curious about the UV protector on the windshield. I thought that since the windshield is laminated for strength it already protected against UVA and UVB? Does this give further protection?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:51 AM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have glasses that change color in sunlight. They change very little even sitting in direct sun, but they do change.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:00 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Curious about the UV protector on the windshield. I thought that since the windshield is laminated for strength it already protected against UVA and UVB? Does this give further protection?
Absolutely.. I have full leather dash and it used to heat up badly.. over 105 deg when parked in sun.. UV blocker cut heat by 15+ deg at least

It IS however, illegal in some states..
Old 01-19-2018, 11:23 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Absolutely.. I have full leather dash and it used to heat up badly.. over 105 deg when parked in sun.. UV blocker cut heat by 15+ deg at least

It IS however, illegal in some states..
I suspect you have 3m Crystalline or something similar. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rud

These are supposed to block the infrared rays besides the UVs. Been wondering if they are effective. Thanks for the info. Any film on the windshield is illegal in MN except for a thin strip across the top. We do like the sun energy in the winter. I use a sun blocker in the windshield during warmer temps as I too am concerned about the leather. I should maybe look into this for the BGTS as it is a summer car only. Probably have to go out of state to install.

Quick Reply: Window tint / film.. 50%?