Sponsored By:

Glove box LED bulb

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:24 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Glove box LED bulb

I've tried different brands of LED bulbs with CANBUS free error for the glove box on my 2013 Turbo and nothing works. The first LED did not light up at all (yes I did 180 degree flip). The second LED (different brand/type) with 8 SMD got fried as soon as I plugged it in. For the first 1 second all 8 SMD lit up and then 7 went out with 1 LED still on. Same result with a different LED bulb.

I use the same LED bulbs for the footwell and door lights and they all work fine. I've searched the net and this forum but found nothing. Is there a special LED bulb for the glove box? Should I try the LED without CANBUS?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:56 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Anyone? There’s got to be someone out there who has successfully done it.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

The whole 'canbus' scheme often is just a resistor stuck in the circuit to fake out the detection. This by raising the wattage consumed, and as a side effect making a lot of heat. It's typically safer to replace the whole light assembly with an LED circuit. There's a lot of them shared across multiple vehicle brands (vw/audi/seat/skoda). The key is finding the part number on the existing light and cross-referencing that via online searches. Mine already have LED so I didn't have to do this.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:44 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Originally Posted by wkearney99
The whole 'canbus' scheme often is just a resistor stuck in the circuit to fake out the detection. This by raising the wattage consumed, and as a side effect making a lot of heat. It's typically safer to replace the whole light assembly with an LED circuit. There's a lot of them shared across multiple vehicle brands (vw/audi/seat/skoda). The key is finding the part number on the existing light and cross-referencing that via online searches. Mine already have LED so I didn't have to do this.
i have searched everywhere on the net for the interior LED housing but can’t find the style that fits my 958 Cayenne. The other option is to buy the 10 BMW LED bulb set that costs $150 but that’s too much for light bulbs. Chinese bulbs start to flicker after a few weeks. May be I’ll just stick with incandescent bulbs for now.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:24 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Most LED setups for internal lighting are 'all in one' where there's an LED element on a circuit board that clips into a clear plastic lens. That's what I believe is in my '17 GTS. If I'm not mistaken, the glovebox uses a similar assembly to that down under the seats and dash, illuminating the 'footwell' area.

When you're new, the Search feature is your friend.... hint.. hint... I say this because we all depend on each other to contribute here...

I believe I posted pix of the internal items, either here or on 6speed.

Yep, advanced search is super-helpful when trying to find stuff... Search on my username and 'footwell' and you'll find a few posts that might help.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:36 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Most LED setups for internal lighting are 'all in one' where there's an LED element on a circuit board that clips into a clear plastic lens. That's what I believe is in my '17 GTS. If I'm not mistaken, the glovebox uses a similar assembly to that down under the seats and dash, illuminating the 'footwell' area.

When you're new, the Search feature is your friend.... hint.. hint... I say this because we all depend on each other to contribute here...

I believe I posted pix of the internal items, either here or on 6speed.

Yep, advanced search is super-helpful when trying to find stuff... Search on my username and 'footwell' and you'll find a few posts that might help.
thank you very much for your help. I found some LED housing for the footwell. Do you know if the housing in your 2017 would fit my 2013 Turbo?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:49 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kennyt
thank you very much for your help. I found some LED housing for the footwell. Do you know if the housing in your 2017 would fit my 2013 Turbo?
I do not. As I mentioned, mine are already LEDs so I never needed to figure that out.

What you can do is pop one of yours loose and see if there's a part number on it. That and does it look the same as the pictures I posted?

If so, search the web for that part number and see what it cross-references against. Eventually there's going to be another audi/vw/seat/skoda that likely used the same part, or has an equivalent. Once you know what other models have used that part you can then use that on aftermarket replacement websites to find a suitable LED replacement. Follow me? That was the path I followed figuring out my door lights. That's also how I figured out the warning reflector triangle in the rear hatch.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:42 PM
kennyt
Instructor

I do not. As I mentioned, mine are already LEDs so I never needed to figure that out.

What you can do is pop one of yours loose and see if there's a part number on it. That and does it look the same as the pictures I posted?

If so, search the web for that part number and see what it cross-references against. Eventually there's going to be another audi/vw/seat/skoda that likely used the same part, or has an equivalent. Once you know what other models have used that part you can then use that on aftermarket replacement websites to find a suitable LED replacement. Follow me? That was the path I followed figuring out my door lights. That's also how I figured out the warning reflector triangle in the rear hatch.
it looks exactly the same like yours except the cover behind the clear plastic housing is aluminum that clips on the plastic housing at 4 corners. I’m trying to figure out of the width and length are the same. If they are then bingo.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:11 PM
kennyt
Instructor

it looks exactly the same like yours except the cover behind the clear plastic housing is aluminum that clips on the plastic housing at 4 corners. I’m trying to figure out of the width and length are the same. If they are then bingo.
Any chance you could post the measurements of the black box behind the lense? Just want to make sure it’s the same as mine before I order the whole set. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:31 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I've been laid up post ankle surgery, so it'll take some effort. I'll try to pull it out again tomorrow and measure it with some calipers.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:04 PM
kennyt
Instructor

I've been laid up post ankle surgery, so it'll take some effort. I'll try to pull it out again tomorrow and measure it with some calipers.
wish you a speedy recovery. Thank you very much.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:00 AM
kennyt
Instructor

Default Update on interior LED lights

wish you a speedy recovery. Thank you very much.
I took wkearney99 advice and purchased a set of 5 OEM LED housings on eBay using part number 5G0947409. Install is very simple, just swap them with the LED ones. It costs me $30 for the whole set. Porsche wants $33 for just one housing and it’s not LED. Thank you wkearney99.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:19 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Excellent news. Sorry I haven't been able to follow up on pulling mine apart again. I tried getting it loose and it wouldn't budge. I didn't have the plastic spudger tools handy and hobbling back/forth to the shop wasn't on my list of approved activities. Glad to know you found a solution! Take and post some pix of the results maybe?
Old 02-08-2018, 10:01 AM
kennyt
Instructor

Excellent news. Sorry I haven't been able to follow up on pulling mine apart again. I tried getting it loose and it wouldn't budge. I didn't have the plastic spudger tools handy and hobbling back/forth to the shop wasn't on my list of approved activities. Glad to know you found a solution! Take and post some pix of the results maybe?
these LED units are really tight fit compared to the incandescent housings. I’ll try to take the glove compartment unit out and take pictures. The rear footwells will not come out again as they’re so tight. The tab on the incandescent unit is flimsy compared to the LED unit.

They’re identical to yours based on the pictures you posted a while back, made by VW for Cayenne, Skoda, Touran, Tiguan, Passat, etc. Best is I didn’t have to pay Porsche taxes.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I was unable to take the glove box light at all. I did doors, footwells (the rears were also a pita to remove) and the trunk, but I was not so lucky with the glove box one.

BTW - I had problems with making the LEDs work as well. As it turned out, all that was needed was gently squeezing the metal tabs holding the bulb for proper electric contact.

Quick Reply: Glove box LED bulb