Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Homelink and Liftmaster 8500 programming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 01:42 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Homelink and Liftmaster 8500 programming?

Finally got around to programming the Homelink in my '15 CD. I have 3 seperate doors with 3 seperate openers, so one for each Homelink button. Two openers are standard Liftmasters, center door is a vertical opening jackshaft liftmast 8500.

After a few fits and starts I got both the "regular" openers programmed into Homelink. However I can't seem to get the 8500 to sync up. I'm tapping the "learn" button on it twice so the red led pops on, then holding down the Homelink button until I get a slow flashing light. Then going in front of the truck and holding down the proper remote button until the turn signals flash three times. I then hit the button on my original remote, then try the Homelink button. No love. Tried it a few times, same thing.

What am I missing? Of course that opener is the door where I park...
Old 01-14-2018, 07:36 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe worth a shout-out to Liftmaster to see if the programming's been changed on the 8500 series; I'd bet otherwise, but you never know!

I had no issues getting our openers programmed but they're builder-grade models...nuttin' fancy at all! Of course, Homelink is Homelink so it's odd that you only got two out of three.

TXCOMT
Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Will be interested to see what you find out. I have a similar problem with an entry gate (also Liftmaster) - my 2017 Cayenne S had no problem with either of my garage doors (one Liftmaster and one other) but would not accept the code for the gate. My 2013 Carrera had no problem with the doors or the gate. Finally gave up and carry the handheld opener for the gate in the Cayenne.....
Old 01-15-2018, 09:16 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't know if this will help but I might be worth a shot. Try doing the programming with the vehicle running. I had a hard time getting my wife's Macan homelink setup. By accident, I tried it with it while the engine was running, and found it was much more responsive. Maybe the increase in voltage might have something to do with it? Anyhow, I found I did not have to go to the front of the vehicle to get homelink to learn the remote. I could just sit inside, press the remote, and the lights would flash 3 times right away. Also, make sure the homelink button (1-3) has learned the remote code. The red led should flash rapidly when you push the button. If not, it may not have acquired the code.

I just repeated the process on my new CD with it running, and it was a breeze.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

In my experience, you can't program Homelink buttons in a single vehicle to operrate both the newer rolling code type openers and the older traditional openers - one generation or the other, so you may need to choose between your 2 older doors and your newer Jackshaft door for that vehicle.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:29 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

All the openers are the same vintage, just two are "normal" and one is the jackshaft opener. I tried it again with the truck inside the garage and it worked. I can only theorize that since the "learn" button is on the wall controller, that it wouldn't program with the truck out in the driveway because it was too far away?

Dunno, but I didn't change the procedure, only that the truck was inside vs outside the garage.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
All the openers are the same vintage, just two are "normal" and one is the jackshaft opener. I tried it again with the truck inside the garage and it worked. I can only theorize that since the "learn" button is on the wall controller, that it wouldn't program with the truck out in the driveway because it was too far away?

Dunno, but I didn't change the procedure, only that the truck was inside vs outside the garage.
Makes sense. Glad you got it worked out.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:25 PM
jqpd99
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey All,

Wanted to update this thread as I went through this today with my liftmaster 8500s

The procedure that worked for me is as follows:

1) Clear existing codes by pressing buttons 1 and 3 of your homelink for 20 seconds until the light flashes quickly
2) Press button 1 of homelink and it will blink slowly
3) Go to front of vehicle with remote and press button 1 until lights on vehicle flash 3 times... press button 1 on remote once again
4) Now go to the wall mounted pad in the garage and press the learn button twice so the red LED goes on
5) Go back to the vehicle and press button 1 of the homelink and hold until remote light in the garage flashes once
6) Button 1 is now programmed... repeat steps 2-5 for the remaining buttons

DF
The following users liked this post:
bihi (04-01-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 02:19 PM
Gary958.2 S
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've also been having problems programming the Homelink on my new 2016 Cayenne S, to match it to a rotating-code garage opener. The instructions in the manual are cryptic with repeated commands, vague headings between non-rotating and rotating code openers, and mistaken references to paragraph numbers. So I just tried the method proposed by jqpd99 above and it worked! I will have to try it for a few days to make sure it sticks, but I'm optimistic. The two differences from the manual are:

1/ Pressing button 1 on the remote at the end of step 3, Manual said to repeat steps 3 to 5 which was confusing.
2/ At step 5 pressing and holding button 1 of the homelink. Manual said to press three times, or several times. (it said both three, and several, so not sure which it meant)

I am also happy that the homelink seems to work for me even when backing in, a problem I've seen on other posts due to the transmitter being at the front under the hood. But to be fair, I have a 12 foot garage ceiling (and opener drive motor), so the receiving antenna is high, perhaps allowing the signal to go over the roof of the Cayenne.

Gary

Quick Reply: Homelink and Liftmaster 8500 programming?