Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The CD, goes snowbiking, again (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:20 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default The CD, goes snowbiking, again (Pics)

The 2016 CD. For those that have a CD, we already know what we got. A rock-steady motor. Great power. Great towing. Great everything.

I've been towing my snowbike using an old, 1994 galvanized trailer that is 8' long while my snowbike is 11' long. As I can put the ski up on the salt shield, only about 2' or so hangs off the trailer but since the trailer got a new axle/hubs a few years back, then new wheels/tires and a deck this past fall, the 24 year old trailer is hanging in there until I get the new PROLine SNO 714 trailer I ordered on or around 02/22/2017. Enclosed, drive in, drive off, V-front trailer. I'm excited. I expect that the CD will tow the new trailer and it will also be the first time I've ever had EOH brakes and I just need to get a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 and finish the wiring so I'll be ready when the trailer is done.

The smooth, effortless power the the CD has for both towing, and towing in the mountains, along with the 8 speed that is about invisible-in a good way, as the xmission always knows what gear to be in and even after the fix, I have found NO difference in either power, mpg, or anything at all.

Snowbiking was awesome today. Best day of riding ever. Untracked powder on all the trails we rode on, the clearcut swaths, the apple orchards on the hillsides, all the places we got to go for the first time, were all incredible.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

I've never heard of this, but coming from dirt bikes growing up, then street bikes before kids, it sure looks like a blast.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:21 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Dirtbiking is, or I can now say, was, my most favorite thing to do. Now it is without a doubt, snowbiking. All the fun of riding the dirtbike but none of the harsh trails/bumps/roots, rocks, just nice, fluffy, powder-snow. It is as close to heaven as I'll get.

The Beta is my bike. The Honda is my brother in law's bike.

Last edited by BenCD; 01-10-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I've (obviously, see avatar) been riding for years, but only recently got into dirt bikes as a training tool for my road racing (It works!). My buddy keeps trying to get me to come up to his place in NY to do ice riding, but that looks like a ridiculous amount of fun! I could never get excited about sleds, but this...this could be epic.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:36 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
I've (obviously, see avatar) been riding for years, but only recently got into dirt bikes as a training tool for my road racing (It works!). My buddy keeps trying to get me to come up to his place in NY to do ice riding, but that looks like a ridiculous amount of fun! I could never get excited about sleds, but this...this could be epic.

The snowbike is truly incredible. There are some who have tried it, and come from mountain snowmobiles, who would rather stay on their sleds, but there are many more others that have switched and are not going back to snowmobiles, like me.

I will keep my sled because it owes me nothing, but I have no plans to ride it other than to take it out to make sure it runs well and stays running well, otherwise, the snowbike is where it is at.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:01 AM
th3n1nj2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
The snowbike is truly incredible. There are some who have tried it, and come from mountain snowmobiles, who would rather stay on their sleds, but there are many more others that have switched and are not going back to snowmobiles, like me.

I will keep my sled because it owes me nothing, but I have no plans to ride it other than to take it out to make sure it runs well and stays running well, otherwise, the snowbike is where it is at.
That looks so awesome!! Where do you do this? Are there places you can go and hire them? Looks like I must do a trip to the US to do this or Canada?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by th3n1nj2
That looks so awesome!! Where do you do this? Are there places you can go and hire them? Looks like I must do a trip to the US to do this or Canada?
I'll keep writing it until something even better comes along but, riding that snowbike is now the most fun-thing I have ever done in my life, no doubt about it.

Here is a link to an outfit that rents them by the day for $300 for the day, which to me is not that bad. It just so happens that the bikes and the track and ski-kit are the same thing that I have :

https://firstclassadventures.com/snowbike-rentals/
Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 AM
th3n1nj2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD

I'll keep writing it until something even better comes along but, riding that snowbike is now the most fun-thing I have ever done in my life, no doubt about it.

Here is a link to an outfit that rents them by the day for $300 for the day, which to me is not that bad. It just so happens that the bikes and the track and ski-kit are the same thing that I have :

https://firstclassadventures.com/snowbike-rentals/
Thanks, will check them out!
Old 01-15-2018, 02:36 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Amazon. Gonna have to put this on the list for this season.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:28 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

My boy got to ride his yellow (borrowed) snowmobile this past weekend as well, and the CD goes up to ride again:
The following users liked this post:
Chaos (02-23-2021)
Old 01-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I've never heard of this, but coming from dirt bikes growing up, then street bikes before kids, it sure looks like a blast.
+1 and grew up with a Evinrude snowmobile, hows this compare?
Old 01-27-2018, 09:41 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I'll say it once, I'll say it 1,000,000 times, the CD is simply an awesome tow vehicle and a fantastic winter ride.

I get from 20 to 22 mpg towing this little open trailer and know that it will go down when I get my new PROLine Sno 714, enclosed, ride-in, ride-out, V-nose, dual axle, EOH brakes in each of the 15: wheels, galvanized Dexter axles and all aluminum construction. I so look forward to no more open trailer, even if the mpg does decrease.

I know that the tow is going to once again be sublime as it when I have the 7,000 lb boat/trailer behind the Cayenne, it handles it like it was made for it, which it was as the Cayenne can tow. The motor hardly works, it is so quiet, everything about a Cayenne just the say it should be. It is no wonder why we are all on this forum, we love these 2015 plus, trucks.

I am looking forward to driving home tomorrow and then coming back up the following weekend to do it all again.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:19 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Ben, what wheels are you running? Looks like Q7, maybe? I like them. Curious about dimensions & offset.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:33 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Ben, what wheels are you running? Looks like Q7, maybe? I like them. Curious about dimensions & offset.

Those are 20" VW Touareg Pikes Peak wheels, 275-45-20 Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus. I had run a set of Continental Extreme Contact DSW's but they only lasted about 25,000 miles. I got black stick on covers for the centercaps.

Before I sent the Touareg back to VW, I got a set of 2004, 18" Cayenne Turbo wheels that had 2 tires that held air, I bought 2 more used tires at $35 each and sent the Treg back to VW with that wheel/tire set and kept the 20" wheels for myself. VW does not/did not give a damn about what wheels and tires come back, as long as it has them, they just want the vehicles back.

I happen to like the wheels enough to not spend any more money on some new, nicer wheels. If anything, I might have them either painted or powdercoated a gunmetal or darker shade of gray, someday. I also happen to think that 20" is the perfect size for the truck as 19" is just too small and 21" too big.

I have the 19" set of Design II wheels that came with the truck, just waiting for a set of tires to be put on them, again, someday.

Here is a link to all the dimensions.
http://www.autorimshop.com/volkswage...eak-69917.html

Last edited by BenCD; 02-02-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:06 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I had the joy of driving up in a snowstorm Thursday night. I knew what I was getting into when I left but Thursday night was some tricky driving. While the roads were just white and there was not much on the highway in terms of loose snow as the plows had been going over them all night, it was the scene of being stuck in Hyperspace for anywhere from 30-45 minutes with nothing but white coming at me and mezmerizing me.

I had to resort to shutting off the low beams and using the Morimoto XB LED fog lights I had installed and it helped a lot with being able to not be dazzled by the snow falling really hard/fast. I had to slow down to about 38-39 mph to stay safe and I was the only one on the highway at 9pm anyway. The morning after pictures.

Quick Reply: The CD, goes snowbiking, again (Pics)