Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1

Old 03-13-2018, 11:43 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Spoke with the seller this morning.

Installation difficulty is 'moderate'; we'd recommend competent DIY or professional installation. I'll send you the installation notes later when I'm back in the office so you can review. Please note that the PCM must be opened to install a sub-board.

If you're planning to use a professional installer, we'd suggest you discuss the installation with them to ensure they are comfortable with the install before proceeding.

We sell two versions of the kit:

The ‘bare-bones’ kit which is as it comes from the manufacturer. Cost 585USD inclusive of shipping to the US by Fedex or
The ‘full’ kit which includes a Parrot microphone (the one you'll see in the installation notes) which is much smaller and better quality, stand-off studs to enable maintaining Sirius XM if its fitted to your PCM, a USB adapter to allow the use of the factory centre console USB if required and remote installation support. Cost 660 USD inclusive of shipping to the US by Fedex.

There was a group buy a month or so back and if there are another 5 or more interested then I can discount the above prices. I'd suggest you post on the forum to try and gather enough interest for the a further group buy and then proceed from there.

Any other queries or questions just let me know.

Kind regards
Nick
NM Automotive
www.nmautomotive.co.uk
Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

There is a similar thread to this over on 6speedonline, and I've posted there, but will post here as well - I just purchased this kit from china, $322 USD, I'll be working on the install this weekend, or at least starting it, and I'll be posting some videos/pics, and as much of a how-to as I can put together. Seems pretty easy, in terms of auto installs, as I don't believe there is any splicing needed, and everything is put together with OEM adapters. Hopefully I'll have something to share early next week.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:08 AM
daviper
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
There is a similar thread to this over on 6speedonline, and I've posted there, but will post here as well - I just purchased this kit from china, $322 USD, I'll be working on the install this weekend, or at least starting it, and I'll be posting some videos/pics, and as much of a how-to as I can put together. Seems pretty easy, in terms of auto installs, as I don't believe there is any splicing needed, and everything is put together with OEM adapters. Hopefully I'll have something to share early next week.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes! Good luck.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:06 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by davidkircher
I have a 2014 Porsche Cayenne S which does not have voice command. (The button that is on the end of the turn indicator.) Since it is a 2014 it has PCM 3.1 Generation1 which does not have the option for an after production upgrade that is available with PCM 3.1 Generation 2 that comes on 2015-2016 Cayenne's. I am looking at adding an aftermarket product made by Lsailt MODEL LLT-BSJ-VER1.5.4 that provides Apple Carplay for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 PCM 3.1's. Has anyone successfully done this and who did you have install it?
apologies for being slightly off topic, but can you provide a link to info on the gen2 upgrade? I have a 2016 and this is kind of intriguing.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:19 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

OK, I'm calling it quits for the night, but the CarPlay is up and running, and appears to work well. The install continues, but the basic wiring is easy, and I didn't have to cut or splice a single wire (the hardest part was moving the fiber optics from one connector to another). The whole thing is completely reversible back to stock. I did have to pull-out the satellite radio, and I don't see a way to have them both unless there is a redesign of the boards, but I don't use it, so not a loss, and I can always put it back in if needed.

I still need to figure-out all the nuances to it, like how to get back into CarPlay if I were to exit the screen to look at the Car menu (for example), but I'm sure I'll get it figured-out.

Also, one very cool thing is I now have Siri voice control, when I didn't have the voice control option before. I can just say "Hey Siri" and she'll reply and do my bidding, and she can be initiated from the touchscreen (and maybe a physical button) as well.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:29 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

OK, so I've figured-out how to move back and forth between the two interfaces, and that works well. I've also discovered the system will play videos from a USB drive, and may have a few other functions available through another interface, so this is already becoming more functional that I initially thought it was.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 PM
daviper
5th Gear

Is this the unit you ordered?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Appl...15fac5d8f537a2

I believe the way you keep the satellite radio is to use stand-offs so both boards can stay connected.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daviper

I believe the way you keep the satellite radio is to use stand-offs so both boards can stay connected.
Yes, that is the one I have. The stand-offs actually just give the daughter board additional supports (attachment points), as it needs them along with the original location of the satellite radio card(s). From all the videos and pictures I've seen, the daughter boards are all similar, and unless there are different versions of the satellite cards in some PCMs (or the satellite unit is seperate from the PCM and connects via cables), I don't see how anyone has been able to retain the satellite radio while also using this modification.

Below are a few pics I took during the install that should explain how things fit:

Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM
daviper
5th Gear

I think the instructions show to leave the satellite board in and to replace its top screws with the stand-offs so that the CarPlay board is mounted above the Satellite board - is that not possible?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:10 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Well, I thought that might be a possibility, but the satellite card is tall with several layers and the antenna connector on top, so it didn't look like there was enough room. In addition, the new board doesn't screw into any of the existing mounting "holes" for the satellite card, and instead just rests on the support brackets. The only screws that hold it down are the ones that match-up with the newly installed stand-offs.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:34 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daviper

OK, so it looks like there is another daughter board out there (possibly another vendor with different hardware) that has a different layout and slightly different shape, and this board can be stacked on top on the satellite radio board. The one I purchased (linked above) does not allow the stacking of boards, but I do not use XM radio, so it is not a loss for me.

Others that wish to keep the XM may need to find a version with a compatible daughter card.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:31 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick question to anyone who might know. Would this install void a CPO warranty?

I did find that AliExpress does have the Android version. Android 6.0 GPS navigation box for Porsche Cayenne PCM 3.1 at $450 add shipping of $43.61. The Android users have to pay $100 more and a little more in shipping. Strange because the units look exactly the same.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:00 PM
PDR447
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That android boxlooks like a full android "pc" not just an Android auto interface. It's a full standalone unit(explains the 100 more.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:08 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I selected the link under @daviper and the Apple iOS looks exactly the same. Here is the link Apple iOS mirror link box for Porsche PCM 3.1 Cayenne
Great post by @dollarlongnecks. I am wondering if the Android installation is the same as the Apple.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:34 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

I think the only issue you may run into with a CPO warranty is if the PCM goes out, and they see the warranty seal has been broken, so they won't replace it. I don't know if your dealership would actually use a broken seal against you, but the install is completely reversible, leaving no indication you did anything if you need to take it out.

I believe the Android unit you are looking at is actually 2 boxes, one that is the interface box (which is basically what the iPhone version is), and another which is an actual android computer that runs all the features. That's why you have to choose a "color" to purchase, and that "color" is a 2GB RAM Android 6.0, which is the little computer. Also, look through the pics and you'll see there are two different boxes.

This is the same vendor, and I've been emailing with him daily, so I'll ask him about a version for an Android phone and see what he can do. And I would imagine the installs are nearly identical, with probably just a few differences in the daughter cards and the wiring harnesses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1