Sponsored By:

Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 12:07 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

So is there a consensus on which of the aftermarket kits to go for to add this?
Old 10-17-2022, 12:50 PM
RyanAllison
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This system looks the most promising so far.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...cm3-1-a-2.html

All seems to have pros and cons but this is where my money will likely end up once the final bugs are resolved.

Pros:
- Highest Sound Quality w/ DSP
- Relatively Easy Install
- Team is involved in fixing issues

Cons:
- A software issue which may cause a popping/clicking noise
- Gotta find a place for the box which may rattle at some point which would drive me crazy.
The following 2 users liked this post by RyanAllison:
Hawkpilot6060 (10-26-2022), Needsdecaf (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 08:12 PM
lml999
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
So is there a consensus on which of the aftermarket kits to go for to add this?
Consensus? This *is* the Internet!

In my case, I was rather glad that I went with NM Automotive, as I ran into a self-inflicted issue during installation and Nick stuck with me until the issue was completely resolved. I would not have been able to have resolved the issue with any of the vendors that do not offer *good* technical support.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:06 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I too am a big fan of NM automotive. Haven’t had any issues like others have in this thread. It just works.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:53 PM
afriedrich
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLEN

you can play anything (any app ) on the iOS CarPlay side; also you WILL NOT lose your AUXBT input.

There is an option in the menu of the CarPlay system to switch between the Porsche PCM and the CarPlay system using the diamond key on the Porsche steering wheel.
I use it a lot but you can simply switch sources using the source button; while the CarPlay is active. Everything works fine.

I seem to be unable to find this option in my NMAutomotive module (in a 2012 Cayenne S). My module was replaced a week ago and I try to re-activate switching via diamond key on the Porsche steering wheel. Running the latest firmware on the NMAutomotive module. Do you maybe recall the option? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2024, 10:23 AM
gonzoe11
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanAllison
This system looks the most promising so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX_c...ture=emb_title

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...cm3-1-a-2.html

All seems to have pros and cons but this is where my money will likely end up once the final bugs are resolved.

Pros:
- Highest Sound Quality w/ DSP
- Relatively Easy Install
- Team is involved in fixing issues

Cons:
- A software issue which may cause a popping/clicking noise
- Gotta find a place for the box which may rattle at some point which would drive me crazy.
I had the Mr12Volt system installed last week. I spoke to my installer and asked what he thought about the kit as this was his 1st install on this particular one. He is a brand embassador for the ZZPlay kit which I have installed on an Audi and my MB. On the Pros above he said it wasn’t a difficult install but it took some extra time to find instructions on few particular parts of the install. He did say after finding the info it went smooth and the next one will be easy and quick. Sound quality, check. There is a noticeable difference in the quality between the Mr12Volt and my prior ZZPlay units. I’ll also add that this unit integrates into the PCM so you get an additional input and don’t lose Aux and BTAux.my installer was very impressed with this one. The interface loads quickly and the quality of the kit is very good.
I believe the software has been updated and now integrates factory microphone so no additional wiring for additional mics needed, which usually causes the popping and clicking. And the location for the box shouldn’t be an issue according to my installer, he said it’s very tight behind the PCM and the box is exact fit. No additional space so you likely won’t have rattle issues.
It has only been a week, but so far I’m impressed with is unit and almost feels like it’s from the factory
Old 03-19-2024, 12:25 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzoe11
I had the Mr12Volt system installed last week. I spoke to my installer and asked what he thought about the kit as this was his 1st install on this particular one. He is a brand embassador for the ZZPlay kit which I have installed on an Audi and my MB. On the Pros above he said it wasn’t a difficult install but it took some extra time to find instructions on few particular parts of the install. He did say after finding the info it went smooth and the next one will be easy and quick. Sound quality, check. There is a noticeable difference in the quality between the Mr12Volt and my prior ZZPlay units. I’ll also add that this unit integrates into the PCM so you get an additional input and don’t lose Aux and BTAux.my installer was very impressed with this one. The interface loads quickly and the quality of the kit is very good.
I believe the software has been updated and now integrates factory microphone so no additional wiring for additional mics needed, which usually causes the popping and clicking. And the location for the box shouldn’t be an issue according to my installer, he said it’s very tight behind the PCM and the box is exact fit. No additional space so you likely won’t have rattle issues.
It has only been a week, but so far I’m impressed with is unit and almost feels like it’s from the factory
Happy to hear of another happy user

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1