Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok I hadn't seen any actual #'s on Bluespark. If it's similar gains I'd likely go that route vs. Malone for the removability.

I worry about excessive EGT and the trans while towing. Even on my old Duramax, I had a tuner on it (adjustable on the fly Edge programmer), but I'd tune it back to stock when towing.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ok I hadn't seen any actual #'s on Bluespark. If it's similar gains I'd likely go that route vs. Malone for the removability.

I worry about excessive EGT and the trans while towing. Even on my old Duramax, I had a tuner on it (adjustable on the fly Edge programmer), but I'd tune it back to stock when towing.
There are two options one that is pro tune that has one connection to fuel rail €199 + shipping from Uk

second is pro tune + boost €279 this has two connections
Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Anyone interested pm me

I’m upgrading to the pro tuner+boost, so I’m selling my pro tuner unit $150 includes ship to anywhere in continental US
Old 01-08-2018, 09:14 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Did anyone get a dyno check before and after the 'fix'? -
What about hard numbers incorporating the 'fix' and one of the above?
Here are our before numbers run on a Dynojet with data normalized for temperature
Still not convinced to get the 'fix' - Would like to see numbers after the 'fix' - We do endurance off-road rally & Overlanding, can not afford to give up performance.
Another potential issue for us is cold weather starts as in -36F Has anyone had the fix in the north, how has it started in sub-zero temps?
Max Pwr______203.20___200.97_____202.42
Engine RPM___3.55______3.56______3.54
Max Trq_______354.82___356.82_____352.35
Engine RPM___2.46______2.44_______2.42
Old 01-09-2018, 12:23 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
Anyone interested pm me

I’m upgrading to the pro tuner+boost, so I’m selling my pro tuner unit $150 includes ship to anywhere in continental US
whats the difference for power mileage etc between the two?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Idk , will report back should have new one sometime next week
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

Thinking I may pull the trigger on the Pro Tuner + Boost. I've searched the forums here, lots of posts from 2014, not a lot lately. Would love to hear some more recent feedback about it. I'm mostly worried about reliability, and like OmniGLH, impact on towing/EGT's.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:17 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
Idk , will report back should have new one sometime next week
Cool please do

Originally Posted by docwyte
Thinking I may pull the trigger on the Pro Tuner + Boost. I've searched the forums here, lots of posts from 2014, not a lot lately. Would love to hear some more recent feedback about it. I'm mostly worried about reliability, and like OmniGLH, impact on towing/EGT's.
Yeah for the price it's really tempting. Assuming the seat-of-the-pants result will feel like the typical "chipped" response of the VW/Audi 2.0T motors (which is a HUGE improvement and "why didn't I do this sooner?")

But unlike the 1.8/2.0T crowd (of which damn near everyone on forums runs some kind of aftermarket tune), hardly anybody seems to be running one on the 3.0TDI. Is it just "not known", is it "problematic", etc? My old 1.8T GTI has over 200k on it now (dad drives it) and it's had a Revo tune since about 10,000 miles and still running strong. From my 1.8T and 2.0T ownership, dealers don't seem to care if the car is tuned, either. I'm not sure how Porsche is.

Still paranoid though. I do NOT want to own this CD with a voided warranty!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

There may or may not be a BlueSpark on my doorstep this week.. (warranty plausible deniability )

I'm looking in the Torque app to see if there are PID's that'll be useful when towing (EGT, DPF temp/pressure, trans temp, boost, etc...)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:03 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

OmniGLH,

I suspect the diesel isn't tuned as much as the old 1.8T because it appeals to a, um, more "mature" crowd? So they're more content to just drive the truck as its set up from the factory and aren't enthusiast drivers like most all of us here on Rennlist. If you go to the TDI forums far more people there have tuned their 3.0 TDI's, the Malone Tune seems very popular over there.

If I was out of warranty a tune would be the way I'd go for sure. I suspect the same durability is there compared to the 1.8T tunes. Heck, I had several stage 3 big turbo S4's that ran fine for tens of thousands of miles...
Old 01-09-2018, 12:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

OmniGLH,

I suspect the diesel isn't tuned as much as the old 1.8T because it appeals to a, um, more "mature" crowd? So they're more content to just drive the truck as its set up from the factory and aren't enthusiast drivers like most all of us here on Rennlist. If you go to the TDI forums far more people there have tuned their 3.0 TDI's, the Malone Tune seems very popular over there.

If I was out of warranty a tune would be the way I'd go for sure. I suspect the same durability is there compared to the 1.8T tunes. Heck, I had several stage 3 big turbo S4's that ran fine for tens of thousands of miles...
Hmm. I admit I did not try very hard - but when I searched TDIClub.com for diesel tune results, almost *all* of the search results were the 2.0TDI. Hardly anything at all for the 3.0TDI. Which I'd suspect is likely the effect of your "maturity" theory

Just makes me leery since at least with the 1.8T/2.0T and 2.0TDI models, there's enough tuned ones out there we can get a good feel for longevity. Part of me says "probably fine for the 3.0TDI" but still paranoid...
Old 01-09-2018, 12:40 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yup, I agree. I do think that its safe tho, I know people have used the Bluespark for 100's of thousands of miles trouble free. Searching here there were two users that had an issue that developed with the box over time, but was fine when it was replaced...
Old 01-10-2018, 04:41 PM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

The reports I've seen on the "US spec" Bluespark indicate the power is reduced compared to the euro spec'd models although they quote the same numbers on their website. Also, due the design of the product I doubt the DME can accurately report fuel economy anymore, so I would question any MPG numbers that weren't calculated by hand (Fuelly etc).
Old 01-10-2018, 04:47 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

It's been reported by Greg, that the mpg that the dme calculates with the unit installed is, indeed, accurate.

Where have you read reports that the US Spec Bluespark puts out less power? Again, Greg reported the same performance and gas mileage with his Gen 1 unit and his US Spec Gen 2 unit. Would love to see more feedback....
Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been reported by Greg, that the mpg that the dme calculates with the unit installed is, indeed, accurate.

Where have you read reports that the US Spec Bluespark puts out less power? Again, Greg reported the same performance and gas mileage with his Gen 1 unit and his US Spec Gen 2 unit. Would love to see more feedback....
Based on his own statements, the US Spec maps were developed using his car and are (or were) the single source of data for all US Spec Bluespark boxes. Perhaps Bluespark has gathered more data now, but either way, Greg has the equivalent of a custom tuned Bluespark for his personal vehicle. Anyone who has ever had a custom tune done on a car understands the difference this can make on a specific vehicle versus trying to run this tune on another identical vehicle. I have not used either product myself, but you can easily search the common forums for reports from other users or PM them directly.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?