Sponsored By:

$550 for cayenne battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Default $550 for cayenne battery

looks like my 2014 cayenne turbo s will need a new battery. i had a "battery protection was active while parked " message in my display so i took it to dealer , they checked it out and "verified battery not fully charged " . battery "tested good ". they charged it and turned it back to me with a recommendation to replace battery . a day later the battery was dead. i was quoted $550 for a new battery plus installation which involves "coding" total cost around $750 for the dealer to do the job. wonder if any others have had similar experience ? am trying to get this done under warranty (my warranty started march 2015 - i purchased new october of 2015) but it look like i may have to cover it myself. i believe battery should last longer than 2 + years. the service record shows that dealer installed a new battery in 2014 sometime before i got it. thanks for any inputs. dan
Old 01-03-2018, 08:48 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

Going through same thing with my 14 GTS - I'm at 50,700 miles and the battery is only warranted to 50k miles, even though I am CPO. Dealer wants $900k for battery plus install - GTFO. My trusty indy is getting the exact same battery from his Porsche contact and installing it for around $600, which I still find outrageous but better than $900.

You should absolutely be covered for replacement as long as you drive 6k miles a year and are under 50k miles. I confirmed this with 2 local dealers today when I was trying to get mine covered.

So much for Porsche goodwill - my battery is 3 1/2 years old and just barely past the 50k mark.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,956 Likes on 934 Posts

why not buy the battery and install yourself. There are literally 4-6 bolts, a couple of plastic tabs involved. Anyone able to work a wrench should be able to do this
Old 01-03-2018, 09:54 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Originally Posted by leftlane
Going through same thing with my 14 GTS - I'm at 50,700 miles and the battery is only warranted to 50k miles, even though I am CPO. Dealer wants $900k for battery plus install - GTFO. My trusty indy is getting the exact same battery from his Porsche contact and installing it for around $600, which I still find outrageous but better than $900.

You should absolutely be covered for replacement as long as you drive 6k miles a year and are under 50k miles. I confirmed this with 2 local dealers today when I was trying to get mine covered.

So much for Porsche goodwill - my battery is 3 1/2 years old and just barely past the 50k mark.
leftlane , thanks for your input , mileage on my turbo is 11500 so i am slightly under the 6000 miles per yr. standard , i put a call into PORSCHE CUSTOMER COMMITMENT 1 800 PORSCHE and i guess they will get in touch with my dealer to figure it out. (my warranty period started march 2015). good luck with your GTS !
Old 01-03-2018, 09:56 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The wrenching part should be easy, but what about the coding??
Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Originally Posted by desmotesta
why not buy the battery and install yourself. There are literally 4-6 bolts, a couple of plastic tabs involved. Anyone able to work a wrench should be able to do this
desmotesa, that is what i am tempted to do except for the fact that the battery is the largest part of the cost (i haven't priced out a battery from non porsche source yet ) also told there is coding involved with the install .
Old 01-03-2018, 10:50 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mymac
The wrenching part should be easy, but what about the coding??
If you do more research you'll find that there's really no coding involved. Yes, it's shown on the PIWIS but, as I recall, it doesn't change any settings.

Check out post #8

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...questions.html
Old 01-03-2018, 11:14 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,956 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by dz997 tts
desmotesa, that is what i am tempted to do except for the fact that the battery is the largest part of the cost (i haven't priced out a battery from non porsche source yet ) also told there is coding involved with the install .
Unless someone can correct me, I think there is no coding involved, or at least none that will change any settings.

change battery yourself.. Porsche doesnt make batteries, they source them. I dont like being taken for a ride, and dealer selling a battery with porsche sticker on it for 2-3 times the street price would offend me deeply.

I would buy the best battery you can buy, one that meets or exceeds all factory specs and have the dealer "code" the car when you are at the dealer for a visit in future.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

From what I have seen, these batteries are readily available. In Canada it's about $250 for an aftermarket AGM battery that is sized for our application.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:14 AM
dz997 tts
Racer

Unless someone can correct me, I think there is no coding involved, or at least none that will change any settings.

change battery yourself.. Porsche doesnt make batteries, they source them. I dont like being taken for a ride, and dealer selling a battery with porsche sticker on it for 2-3 times the street price would offend me deeply.

I would buy the best battery you can buy, one that meets or exceeds all factory specs and have the dealer "code" the car when you are at the dealer for a visit in future.
thanks for the advise , if i can't get this covered by warranty i will do it myself .
Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

I think the "coding" might be to download all your settings and then reupload them to the computer once the battery is reinstalled, so you don't have to reset memory seats, mirrors, radio stations, etc. Just my guess, though.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:20 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

The Cayenne workshop manual states that the battery part and serial numbers as well as manufacturer and capacity must be registered in the Gateway on-board unit using PIWIS.
I guess this is to ensure correct charging, and I am sure it is to ensure that customers use a Porsche workshop to do this.
Cheers, Tore
Old 01-04-2018, 05:13 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
The Cayenne workshop manual states that the battery part and serial numbers as well as manufacturer and capacity must be registered in the Gateway on-board unit using PIWIS.
I guess this is to ensure correct charging, and I am sure it is to ensure that customers use a Porsche workshop to do this.
Cheers, Tore
It does state this - thing is - it can't be done. At least with any Porsche specific tool I've tried to do it with. The tools happily accept the new information for the new battery, but when told to write it to the gateway memory - they can't do it. Unless you're radically changing the size/CCA of your battery - the current settings should match it closely. The other thing Porsche does - is control charging rate to maximize MPG, which lessens the gas-guzzler penalty they pay. In normal mode, charging voltage is typically around 13.7V. Press the Sport mode button - and watch the voltage jump 1V to 14.7V. Why? Because MPG is measured in "normal" mode.

I wouldn't worry about it. When I replaced mine about 2 years ago, I called 2 dealers to ask about coding the battery. Ended up talking to the shop foreman at one dealer and the service manager at the other. The response from them was uniform: "Huh?" "We've never done this.."

YMMV - now about 30,000 miles on the "new" battery (from Batteries Plus+) seems to be working just fine.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:58 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
Cheers, Tore
I just replaced my battery with an Interstate MT5-94RH7 AGM. $291.35 fully installed at my local Indie shop. The truck was in the shop to repair valve lift solenoid already so proactively changed out the battery as my truck was built 12/2011 so 6 year old battery. I did notice the charging voltage has gone up and maxes out at 14.8V. No DTC's or any other issues noted.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The other thing Porsche does - is control charging rate to maximize MPG, which lessens the gas-guzzler penalty they pay. In normal mode, charging voltage is typically around 13.7V. Press the Sport mode button - and watch the voltage jump 1V to 14.7V. Why? Because MPG is measured in "normal" mode.
I'd never heard that before nor seen it. So I tested it on both the loaner base I have at the moment and the '14 diesel we have. It's just not true. Both see 14.7 volts of charge in normal and sport modes. I even enabled the auto stop and watched after that. Voltage ran down to about 12 before the light changed and when I drove off, the charge slowly went back to, and stabilized at, 14.7 volts.

Sport mode on or off, on both vehicles, 14.7 volts.

Quick Reply: $550 for cayenne battery