Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mounting tool pass

Old 12-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Mounting tool pass

Any creative mounting ideas for toll pass?
I don't have front license plate bracket - so I can't put it there. Windshield mounted - interferes with my OCD.
I am thinking getting the license plate version and try put inside plastic hood wents by the windshield wipers or inside front bumper.

I want to avoid anything visibly sticking out.

Last edited by Kirill; 12-11-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:37 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Toll pass??
Old 12-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Toll pass??

The Ipass/ EZPass
Old 12-12-2017, 12:19 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the front license plate transponder on a US Mill Works bracket (that screws into the tow eye socket). How tolerant is the system if you tuck the transponder into the grille? Does it still communicate if it's behind the front bumper panel? I'd imagine this would be kind of hard to test as you'd get a toll violation if it didn't work (or at least some additional hoops to jump through for a camera-detected snap of your license plate).

A quick search online also indicates folks have had decent luck painting the box a darker color to match the interior, and thus be 'less visible' (both inside and out).
Old 12-12-2017, 09:16 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you put it on the windshield behind the rearview mirror? Seems like the rental car companies do that.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by sclemmons
Can you put it on the windshield behind the rearview mirror? Seems like the rental car companies do that.
Yea, but I want it out of the cabin.
The 10$ plastic transponder kind of clashes with my alcantara\leather\carbon fiber & aluminum interior
Old 12-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I have the front license plate transponder on a US Mill Works bracket (that screws into the tow eye socket). How tolerant is the system if you tuck the transponder into the grille? Does it still communicate if it's behind the front bumper panel? I'd imagine this would be kind of hard to test as you'd get a toll violation if it didn't work (or at least some additional hoops to jump through for a camera-detected snap of your license plate).

A quick search online also indicates folks have had decent luck painting the box a darker color to match the interior, and thus be 'less visible' (both inside and out).
In IL they are very tolerant for missing scans if you have transponder registered to your plate - but I don't want to abuse it. I'd like to get 95% success rate. I think it will be ok in front grille - but I don't want to affect airflow to the radiator. In theory, it should work somewhere behind the front bumper, but i don't know if the metallic paint has any effect on RF.

I had the transponder color matched to car for number of years - want to get to next level
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Kirill, take that old one back, and ask for the newer smaller version. It's about 1/3 that size. Spray paint it flat black. It disappears in the windshield. Store the sticker in your owner's manual on some wax paper.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1025651-ez-pass.html
Old 12-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Kirill, take that back, and ask for the smaller version. It's about 1/3 that size. Spray paint it flat black. It disappears in the windshield.
It's generic pic of transponder (not mine) - I can choose between small one (which is still looks like Cayenne has a white pimple if I am taking photos)
another option is license plate mount - which is what I have on 955.

So I am trying to decide - get a license plate version and mount it inside bumper, or as you said - get indoor version, paint it black and add suction cups - so it's removable

Old 12-12-2017, 10:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Get the small one. Remove the sticker. Paint it. Use the plastic velcro (that can take paint too). And mount by your rear view mirror. It disappears. Why suction cup?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Kirill
Racer

Why suction cup?
So I can remove it for photo sessions.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:10 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
Yea, but I want it out of the cabin.
The 10$ plastic transponder kind of clashes with my alcantara\leather\carbon fiber & aluminum interior
#firstworldproblems, eh?

When I did a quick search for ezpass and grille I ran across a number of comments that mentioned painting the box. That'd probably the route I'd take if I didn't have the front mount for the plate transponder. That and the newer style of transponders is even smaller than the kind you posted as a sample. But I don't know what jurisdictions offer the smaller-sized interior one. Here in Maryland they didn't when I got mine last Winter.

I'm mildly curious as to what tolerances the system has for the transponder orientation. As in, just what can you hide it behind, and does it have any mounting angle limitations? The license plate style mounting holes mean it'd end up mounted face up/down instead of facing forward. I've no idea if the transponders are affected by that or not. I'd assume not, but as I mentioned before, it'd be difficult to test. At least not without the cooperation of someone working at a toll system. Since it's just RF, what about potentially mounting it to the rear license plate?

I've read that a transponder won't interact properly if there's any metal blocking it. That and some cars with metalized treatment in the windshields also have problems with them. The front bumper cover isn't metal, would a transponder still work if it was stuck inside just the bumper skin and not behind any metal?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:37 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kirill, take that old one back, and ask for the newer smaller version. It's about 1/3 that size. Spray paint it flat black. It disappears in the windshield. Store the sticker in your owner's manual on some wax paper.
+1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mounting tool pass