TPMS / Wheel Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS / Wheel Change Question

I’ve recently purchased a ‘17 Cayenne GTS w/ 21” wheels...I’d like to pick up an additional set of wheels for winter tires. I’m looking at a set of wheels from a ‘16 GTS and a set from a ‘15 S...both sets are factory wheels & both have TPMS sensors.

What is involved in getting these wheels to link up with the TPMS in my car when they’re installed?

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 12-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you can just start driving and TPMS will link. Tpms batteries last about 4 years so on a set of '15 - they may be on the way out
Old 12-10-2017, 03:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
I think you can just start driving and TPMS will link. Tpms batteries last about 4 years so on a set of '15 - they may be on the way out
My batteries are still original on my '11 CTT so we're well beyond 4 years (and about 70,000 miles).. If you're changing size/type (summer, winter) tire - you want to tell the PCM about that. Look for the tire pressure display on your multi-instrument display in the cluster. Push the wheel on the steering wheel (right side) and it will display a menu to set this sort of thing, and one to adjust the pressure depending on your settings (full load, comfort mode, etc.)

Just did mine since I switched over to winter tires on Thursday.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by deilenberger
My batteries are still original on my '11 CTT so we're well beyond 4 years (and about 70,000 miles).. If you're changing size/type (summer, winter) tire - you want to tell the PCM about that. Look for the tire pressure display on your multi-instrument display in the cluster. Push the wheel on the steering wheel (right side) and it will display a menu to set this sort of thing, and one to adjust the pressure depending on your settings (full load, comfort mode, etc.)

Just did mine since I switched over to winter tires on Thursday.
BTW - your GTS has turbo brakes on it (390mm fronts) - so you need at least 19" rims to clear the calipers. Smaller won't work. Just sayin'..
Old 12-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
BTW - your GTS has turbo brakes on it (390mm fronts) - so you need at least 19" rims to clear the calipers. Smaller won't work. Just sayin'..
Got it...I’m looking at 20s but also weighing the idea of just changing tires on my existing 21” wheels. I’m not certain I want to change the look of the car for the next few months.

Thanks much, Rick
Old 12-10-2017, 07:12 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
Got it...I’m looking at 20s but also weighing the idea of just changing tires on my existing 21” wheels. I’m not certain I want to change the look of the car for the next few months.

Thanks much, Rick
I thought about this and then quickly decided I like my 21" rims and the thought of someone removing/installing tires 2x a year just did not make sense. Too much of a chance of something getting dinged up or scratched. Bought a set of 19" rims at a good price and put a good winter tire on them. To me a much better solution.....
Old 12-10-2017, 08:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeearly
I thought about this and then quickly decided I like my 21" rims and the thought of someone removing/installing tires 2x a year just did not make sense. Too much of a chance of something getting dinged up or scratched. Bought a set of 19" rims at a good price and put a good winter tire on them. To me a much better solution.....
+1 - I did exactly the same. Luckily I found a set of 19" Cayenne OE rims with Pirelli Scorpion Snow/Ice tires here in the Marketplace for reasonable money. Basically looked brand new since they'd previously been PlastiDipped - The PlasticDip did a fine job of protecting the rims.. look new when it was removed.

Keep your eye out for some 19" rims/snow-tires - they pop up here when people sell their Cayenne. And you'll love the improvement in ride quality (even if they don't look as cool..)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:31 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
THis is correct. I bought a used set of tires, rims and TPMS off of a fellow RennLister (thank you Helmut!). Bolted them on and they were functioning within ten miles of driving. I don't know the brand he had bought but they were sold by Tire Rack

Quick Reply: TPMS / Wheel Change Question