Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 PM
redstack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Cayenne

Looking to get a Cayenne to go along with my 84 911. I want to be able to tow a trailer in the 5000lb range, and have started to see some used Diesels on the market. Thoughts from the hive mind on the viability of living with a Diesel Cayenne, any particular issues engine wise? Do these require the blue urea solution like some of the newer Mercedes Diesels?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2013 Diesel Cayenne ( I'm based in Ireland but the car is the same as US ). I bought the car with 50,000 miles two years ago and now I have 100,000 miles. Pre 2014 Diesel Cayennes dont have the Adblu ( Urea). I tow my race trailer and race 993 no problem , along with two full sets of wheels and tyres and 100 kgs of race fuel and passengers.

Only fault on mine was an expensive ( $5000 ) oil leak which was done free under the extended warranty.

It's my daily driver as well.

Great car, 38 mpg, 25 towing , and superb comfort.

Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

In USA 2013 is first year and they do have adblue. Good cars. Have 55k on mine. A few known niggles but nothing super major. I tow my gt3 to the track monthly.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:00 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

There is a 958 sub forum under this one called "Cayenne 958 - 2011 --> For newer Cayennes than the 955/957 series"
Might do a search there and particularly for info on the diesel go thru the Sticky Threads named "Admin: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue"

Last edited by RS-America; 12-09-2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I've moved it to the correct forum..
Old 12-13-2017, 01:31 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by redstack
Looking to get a Cayenne to go along with my 84 911. I want to be able to tow a trailer in the 5000lb range, and have started to see some used Diesels on the market. Thoughts from the hive mind on the viability of living with a Diesel Cayenne, any particular issues engine wise? Do these require the blue urea solution like some of the newer Mercedes Diesels?
Have a 2014 (wife's primary) CD. Will pick up a '15 for me tomorrow; trading in a Boxster S.

I likely won't tow much with it, since I have a diesel Ram for towing duty, but for my situation, it's a damn near perfect vehicle.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

I just bought a 2012 3.0d, it is a fantastic driving machine. I love the purr of the V6, it is a perfect engine for this car.
This is the same engine as used in other VAG cars. A common issue is a leaking rear engine cover seal. Mine showed signs of oil at the drain hole under the flywheel, just between the engine and gearbox. I removed the plastic undertray to see this.
Fixing this is a fairly big job, and I had this done before purchase.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 12-13-2017, 09:43 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
I just bought a 2012 3.0d, it is a fantastic driving machine. I love the purr of the V6, it is a perfect engine for this car.
This is the same engine as used in other VAG cars. A common issue is a leaking rear engine cover seal. Mine showed signs of oil at the drain hole under the flywheel, just between the engine and gearbox. I removed the plastic undertray to see this.
Fixing this is a fairly big job, and I had this done before purchase.
Cheers,
Tore
Is this a one time fix with some type of change or improvement that stops it from occurring again?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:57 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I could go on and on about how sweet the CDICayenne Diesel) is but I'll try and keep it short.

I had a 2012 VW Touareg TDI that got bought back and the day it was announced that it would in fact, be bought back, I found the perfect 2016 CD. It tows my 7,000 boat/trailer perfectly, they both towed really well but the CD is just so much better in every regard.

Now with a much longer warranty, if anything does wrong with the big -stuff, we're covered.

My truck is at the dealer now for the fix and to check for the oil leak. I had taken the truck in sometime in October and there is definitely a leak so I'm waiting for the call for how things will progress. I suspect I'll get the truck back while they order the parts, then schedule me in to drop the truck off for the fix as it takes some time if the engine needs to come out. Warranty, phew.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:39 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
I could go on and on about how sweet the CDICayenne Diesel) is but I'll try and keep it short.

I had a 2012 VW Touareg TDI that got bought back and the day it was announced that it would in fact, be bought back, I found the perfect 2016 CD. It tows my 7,000 boat/trailer perfectly, they both towed really well but the CD is just so much better in every regard.

Now with a much longer warranty, if anything does wrong with the big -stuff, we're covered.

My truck is at the dealer now for the fix and to check for the oil leak. I had taken the truck in sometime in October and there is definitely a leak so I'm waiting for the call for how things will progress. I suspect I'll get the truck back while they order the parts, then schedule me in to drop the truck off for the fix as it takes some time if the engine needs to come out. Warranty, phew.
I have a diesel 12 Treg now with 113k on it. Doesn't use or leak any oil between 10k oil changes. It will be turned in soon. Picking up my 16 CD Friday. Looking forward to another 100k plus miles.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:48 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

Very similar to GrandPa John.

We also have a Touareg TDI. 2011. 130,000 miles.
Not one drop of oil used. Absolutely wonder vehicle.

Just scored a Cayenne diesel, 2016.
Will turn the Touareg into VW in spring.

Kevin
Old 12-15-2017, 04:26 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is looking for a Diesel we have a couple including 2 Q7's fwiw. I'll get the info and post them in the morning in the classified section.

My .02..
I really like the CD in sport mode using it as a loaner when my S was in the shop. I found the drive was fine in sport mode and really could feel it kick in and go.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Redstack, I have a 1991 911 Targa and bought a 2014 Cayenne diesel platinum edition new. The CD is a road warrior. I've driven it across the US and back three times now and never tire of it. It has tons of torque, handles much better than you would expect and is extremely comfortable inside. I get 30 mpg at 80 mph and can go 800 miles on a tank of diesel. My wife, who is fairly critical of cars, thinks the CD is the best car we've ever had and I have to concur. Towing has also been a breeze.

Mechanically, I've had few problems through 65k miles. I've had some ongoing electrical problems with the PCM that Porsche has been reluctant to fix, but they are more of the annoying variety than than stranding on the road variety. Overall, I plan on keeping it until at least the extended warranty expires after the diesel fix and maybe longer.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:41 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtea
Redstack, I have a 1991 911 Targa and bought a 2014 Cayenne diesel platinum edition new. The CD is a road warrior. I've driven it across the US and back three times now and never tire of it. It has tons of torque, handles much better than you would expect and is extremely comfortable inside. I get 30 mpg at 80 mph and can go 800 miles on a tank of diesel. My wife, who is fairly critical of cars, thinks the CD is the best car we've ever had and I have to concur. Towing has also been a breeze.

Mechanically, I've had few problems through 65k miles. I've had some ongoing electrical problems with the PCM that Porsche has been reluctant to fix, but they are more of the annoying variety than than stranding on the road variety. Overall, I plan on keeping it until at least the extended warranty expires after the diesel fix and maybe longer.
It's my wifes favorite car ever too!
Old 12-21-2017, 09:16 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

You guys feel that the lack of air suspension is an issue with towing?

Thinking about a CD to replace my current CTTS

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne