Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Install backup camera with OEM parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 AM
chenkaiser
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Install backup camera with OEM parts?

Hello everyone,

I'm newbie here. recently want to upgrade my 2013 Cayenne S with backup camera. I have my PCM software version 3.43 with Navigation and parking assistent. I search the internet and found there's NAV-TV decoder for upgrading. I also found OEM rear camera control parts 7P5907441B on Ebay.

So my question is: is it possible or does anyboday upgrade bacup camera with OEM parts? If I want to use OEM parts, what else I need? I know I need a handle camera, apart from that, any specific parts I need to make it work?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:31 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi, welcome to the forum. You've posted this in the general Cayenne forum, which is mostly dedicated to the earlier Cayennes. Your 2013 is what's called a "958", and we have a dedicated forum for it..

I'm going to move your message over, it's more likely it will be seen there.

Hang on..
Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

OK - for an answer..

In general - it's very difficult to add this sort of option to a Cayenne after the fact.

The reason being - the wiring for the camera isn't there. Most euro manufacturers don't make up "one-size-fits-all" wiring harnesses. The harnesses are made specifically to the vehicle being manufacturered, with only the wiring for the options that are going on that vehicle at the time it's manufactured.

The camera parts will likely be simple - (but expensive) - it's the wiring that's the challenge. And the wiring typically uses special proprietary connectors not available to the average mortal. You would have to make up your own harness and run it from inside the tailgate all the way to the front of the cabin. Doable? Maybe.. depends on your skill level or the depth of your wallet.

You might be better off buying an aftermarket camera, and running it's wiring up to the PCM, and plugging it into the PCM. Lots of people did this on earlier Cayennes and it generally works fairly well. I haven't looked at what connections are made for the factory setup, but if you decide to pursue it, let me know and I'll poke around the wiring diagrams.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

There are a few threads on this. Do a search.

Short summary: NavTV which is plug and play with harness but expensive. OEM camera part alone is $600 at tailgate because the tailgate open and close button is integrated.

You still do not have the lines on the screen as the lines are in PCM and no one has been able to confirm to me if we can activate it with a PIWIS and codes.

These lines will not be there.

https://youtu.be/t1yHNyNy6Zg
Old 11-10-2017, 07:29 AM
JimboMac
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In July I purchased a 2013 Cayenne Turbo from a dealer. The original owner did not opt for the backup camera. The dealer agreed to add the camera before a picked up the car ($1,400 cost).

The camera works well, but there were no backup lines as indicated in the post above. I went back-and-forth with the dealer for five weeks with them trying to figure out how to add the lines. Turns out it is not possible. They refunded the money.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:10 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the aftermarket backup camera installed by my car stereo guy for either $600 or $800. No back up lines but my 991 has them and never missed them on the CD. Took it to the dealer for warranty work and it didn't work afterwards. They wouldn't fix it since it wasn't OE. I do miss the camera since the stereo guy moved.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:23 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
You still do not have the lines on the screen as the lines are in PCM and no one has been able to confirm to me if we can activate it with a PIWIS and codes.
After the fact I decided I was interested in the logbook and looked into it. Talking to a couple of dealers and Suncoast the official answer was that I had to buy a whole new PCM.

As a programmer I fail to see why it would not simply be uploading a new firmware to the existing unit if not just simply flipping flags to enable code that is already there. Additional sensors getting plugged into the CAN? Sure. A whole new head unit?

Assuming what they all said was indeed true (e.g. we know the old "you can't retrofit the roof rails" line is false), I could see the same being true here.

I *might* have swallowed the $6500 cost as I would have liked to have upgraded my 13 to have the jukebox functionality of the 14, but they claimed going to the new PCM was not possible.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:32 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I think the answer is in here somewhere. Have not gotten a response yet..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...dr-31-a-9.html

Quick Reply: Install backup camera with OEM parts?