Sponsored By:

2011 CTT Launch Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:31 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default 2011 CTT Launch Vehicle

Any reason to stay away or be concerned with a launch vehicle over a new 958? I'm currently looking at a CTT Launch vehicle. Do the Launch vehicles include anything extra? Surprised to find out it wasn't part of the camshaft bolt recall. Were some 2011's excluded? I'd think the bolts used were the same from 2011 - 2012. Thanks guys!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:34 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the turbos were excluded, but I could be wrong. I'm also looking at a 2011 CTT. What's the rough price range you're seeing for yours?

I'm looking in the mid-30s for a 80K mile, great condition, stupidly-loaded one.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
I think the turbos were excluded, but I could be wrong. I'm also looking at a 2011 CTT. What's the rough price range you're seeing for yours?

I'm looking in the mid-30s for a 80K mile, great condition, stupidly-loaded one.
Turbos are for sure INCLUDED. Mid-30's is a bargain. Great cars once the few flaws are addressed. The launch vehicle should certainly be included in the recall VIN range. They started with the aluminum bolts in 2010 engine assembly.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:49 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905

Jeez, sounds like I purchased my S at the wrong time, because just a few months ago a moderately-optioned 958 Turbo with 75k-ish miles was upper 30's to mid 40's.... Oh well, I don't feel as though I've truly earned owning a Turbo just yet. (I Wonder how far a 2017 Turbo will depreciate in roughly 6 years or so when I estimate mine will hit the 300k-mile mark....)

Now that I've gone way off-topic, as far as I know any 2011 and some 2012 V8 (N/A or TT) is part of the recall.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:04 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Turbos are for sure INCLUDED. Mid-30's is a bargain. Great cars once the few flaws are addressed. The launch vehicle should certainly be included in the recall VIN range. They started with the aluminum bolts in 2010 engine assembly.
Yup, Delly is right - checked the recall notice right after and forgot to edit my post.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

This car has a build date of 4/2010 which is why it isn't part of the campaign. Just called Porsche to confirm. I guess the Launch vehicles didn't use the bad bolts....
Old 10-17-2017, 06:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by GBX
This car has a build date of 4/2010 which is why it isn't part of the campaign. Just called Porsche to confirm. I guess the Launch vehicles didn't use the bad bolts....
ANY of the bolts with the anti-tamper pin are "bad" bolts.

Before purchasing the vehicle I'd spend the 2-3 minutes it takes to check them. How is detailed in the thread on the Variocam failures.

I supposed it's possible some of the early 958 vehicles used leftover engines from the end of the 957 production run. There isn't much difference in the engines that I've seen - but that would be the first time I've heard of this. Sounds to me like the mythical 955 V8 that got aluminum pipes from the factory - which simply didn't ever happen.

Can you kindly define what you mean by "Launch" - I'm assuming that's cars that were available when the model was first released to the public? What sort of time frame from first release until ??? does "Launch" consist of?

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2017, 07:16 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

“Launch Vehicle” is actually list as an option. I think dealers are offered launched vehicles when a new model is launched which have a fixed set of options chosen by Porsche.

I will check. Didn’t realize it was that easy. But my VIN is def not included in the recall.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:44 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by GBX
I will check. Didn’t realize it was that easy. But my VIN is def not included in the recall.
If it does have the bad bolts - and it's not included in the VIN range for the recall - I'd pass it by and look for another one. No need to buy trouble.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:51 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

If it does have the bad bolts - and it's not included in the VIN range for the recall - I'd pass it by and look for another one. No need to buy trouble.
Absolutely! But if it has the bad bolts, i assume Porsche will fix it. i'll check before i purchase. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by GBX
Absolutely! But if it has the bad bolts, i assume Porsche will fix it. i'll check before i purchase. Thanks.
I wouldn't assume anything with Porsche that isn't in writing. At the very least I'd want it fixed before buying it.

FWIW - on Facebook's Cayenne group - someone was on a test ride with a 2011 S and within a mile of the dealership the bolts broke and seized the engine. It does happen..
Old 10-18-2017, 06:33 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

ANY of the bolts with the anti-tamper pin are "bad" bolts.

Before purchasing the vehicle I'd spend the 2-3 minutes it takes to check them. How is detailed in the thread on the Variocam failures.
Can't find this in the thread. Can you tell me what post # it is?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by GBX
Can't find this in the thread. Can you tell me what post # it is?
Ah - that's 'cause it wasn't in that thread. It's in one that's disappeared off the page I suspect, and in another sticky "IF YOU'RE THINKING OF BUYING.." as posting:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14119956

Easy-peasy. Dental mirrors can be found in any large chain drugstore for a few bucks.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:23 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Ah - that's 'cause it wasn't in that thread. It's in one that's disappeared off the page I suspect, and in another sticky "IF YOU'RE THINKING OF BUYING.." as posting:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14119956

Easy-peasy. Dental mirrors can be found in any large chain drugstore for a few bucks.
great info. Thanks. So, camshaft controller was replaced on this car a few years ago. Does that mean they would have replaced the bolts too? Are these 2 separate issues or 1 in the same?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by GBX
great info. Thanks. So, camshaft controller was replaced on this car a few years ago. Does that mean they would have replaced the bolts too? Are these 2 separate issues or 1 in the same?
Depends on what the "camshaft controller" that was replaced actually is. There is an electronic device that controls the oil flow/pressure to the Variocam adjusters - that has been known to have an occasional failure. It's not a huge item to fix/replace (valve cover has to come off.)

There are TWO Variocam units on the V8 engines - one for each cylinder bank. If only one Variocam unit was replaced - then the other one is a ticking time bomb.

Are there service records for this vehicle? Without those, and you looking under the oil cap - it's all guesswork. Even looking under the cap may be guesswork if only one Variocam adjuster was replaced. If there are records - a scan or photo of them would give part numbers and we could determine what was actually done.

The bolts that are bad are an integral part of the Variocam adjuster - if the adjuster is replaced - the new bolts are in the new device already. If there was a very early failure of an adjuster on the car you're considering, there is always the chance the adjuster was replaced with an identical flawed one if that's all that was available.

Spend some time reading the sticky.. it will give you most of the information you need to make an informed decision. You originally asked if there was a reason not to consider a "Launch" vehicle - without knowing the real status of the Variocam adjusters in the engine - IMHO there is a reason not to consider the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2011 CTT Launch Vehicle