Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CD for towing: to air or not to air?

Old 10-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CD for towing: to air or not to air?

Serendipitously, the hook has set deep with me for a Cayenne Diesel. (Emission scandal not withstanding, which I've inquired about here.)

I'm looking to replace my Ranger Rover Sport Supercharged with a CD; mainly as motorcycle track day hauler and storm chasing ski rig. It checks nearly all the boxes and will pair nicely with my 996tt.

I've found one that I like a great deal though no air suspension. While the tow rating is more than adequate, how much will I miss the air suspension for towing? Is it worth the premium?

Additionally, I do plan to get this thing dirty. After all, the Panorama story about Otis has certainly inspired me. How much of a benefit is the air suspension for overlanding and off-roading?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking it's a moot point, as I haven't found a single used CD for sale with an air suspension...
Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I have no issues towing a 24 foot enclosed with steel suspension in my CD. Air might be nice but I am not feeling like the suspension is an issue at all. I've towed maybe 7-8k miles across a variety of terrains.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:12 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

For what you are towing, you should be fine with steel. I prefer air now that I have it compared to our last Diesel, but like booch said, steel suspension works fine too.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

No air. More to break. Just load the trailer right and watch tongue weight
Old 10-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

All good stuff. Thank you for the replies.

The other big thing is off-road. I know the air suspension does help in ground clearance, break-over and entrance/departure angles. I also know the steel suspension is rather robust. Is the air suspension worth the extra clams for getting the P!G way off the tarmac?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:09 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

No air on mine either - base steel springs. Tows my 18' open trailer w/Cayman on it no problem.

I'm not any kind of off-roader, but it does seem to have decent ground clearance...
Old 10-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Simplify and add lightness......

As others have said, shifting weight off the tongue is important and not hard to do. Especially true when towing a 911 with its given distribution.

Steel will do well longterm (if intended to keep past newfound warranty) and not give any headaches if your tread leads you to the “Tundra.”
Old 10-13-2017, 02:49 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO there is no right or wrong answer on this. The CD is quite capable of towing up to its limit. If you are only going to tow the motorcycle trailer, no issues. I have air suspension and tow my 911 in an enclosed 24ft trailer and get close to max tow rating sometimes. I like the air suspension adjustment to keep the vehicle level. It's a convenience and perhaps a bit of a safety factor but certainly not a requirement. For off-roading it does add some extra body height but minimum ground clearance is still minimum ground clearance.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:51 PM
dytryn
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised that nobody has chimed in with how amazing the air suspension is for towing. I find it to be absolutely amazing and never want to tow again (with any vehicle) without it.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:07 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by stronbl
IMO there is no right or wrong answer on this. The CD is quite capable of towing up to its limit. If you are only going to tow the motorcycle trailer, no issues. I have air suspension and tow my 911 in an enclosed 24ft trailer and get close to max tow rating sometimes. I like the air suspension adjustment to keep the vehicle level. It's a convenience and perhaps a bit of a safety factor but certainly not a requirement. For off-roading it does add some extra body height but minimum ground clearance is still minimum ground clearance.
Fair enough. Tough my motorcycle is a 5x8 enclosed unit, so it does add some weight over the usual open deck motorcycle trailer.

Even then, all loaded up, I'm still not close to the tow rating limit.

Originally Posted by dytryn
Surprised that nobody has chimed in with how amazing the air suspension is for towing. I find it to be absolutely amazing and never want to tow again (with any vehicle) without it.
That's my concern. My RRS has air suspension and it's nice. You hear it kick in as soon as I hitch the tongue. Though the vehicle itself has a short wheelbase and you feel it when towing.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

What I really like about the air suspension is hooking and unhooking the trailer. When unhooking, I raise the suspension to full high, unwind the trailer jack until it touches the ground, and then set the suspension on the lowest level and it just lowers itself to separate from the trailer. When I hook it back up, I do the opposite and raise the car into the trailer hitch. No having to hand crank the trailer up and down.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJG911
What I really like about the air suspension is hooking and unhooking the trailer. When unhooking, I raise the suspension to full high, unwind the trailer jack until it touches the ground, and then set the suspension on the lowest level and it just lowers itself to separate from the trailer. When I hook it back up, I do the opposite and raise the car into the trailer hitch. No having to hand crank the trailer up and down.
My RRS had that and I used it in similar fashion. It was nice. My trailer still required quit a bit of cranking; just the nature of it.

Though I pulled the trigger on the non-PASM CD I’d been eyeing. I supppose I’ll just need to make do without the air suspension. Given the grins this Cayenne has already given me, I don’t think I’ll miss the air suspension that much. This thing pulls like a freight train!
Old 10-16-2017, 03:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I just did a quick turn around trip, up to NorCal from LA to grab my featherlite and GT3RS. ~30mpg on the way yup average speed near 80 :-)
On way back towing the RS took a bit longer average speed 67, about 19mpg door to door.

It pull great up the grapevine (0 to 4200 ft in a pretty short time heading south).
Old 10-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I just did a quick turn around trip, up to NorCal from LA to grab my featherlite and GT3RS. ~30mpg on the way yup average speed near 80 :-)
On way back towing the RS took a bit longer average speed 67, about 19mpg door to door.

It pull great up the grapevine (0 to 4200 ft in a pretty short time heading south).
Now this is what I’m talking about! I love hearing stories like this.

My RRS S/C would get maybe 11mpg towing my 5x8 enclosed motorcycle trailer. 10 if I was in hilly terrain. Unladen, the fuel economy was only slightly better.

I didnt buy the CD solely for the fuel economy, but it sure is a great benefit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD for towing: to air or not to air?