Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Air Suspension stuck in low level: "not possible" going up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 03:28 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanomite
Here are a couple videos of the self leveling ride height increase and the escaping (air / nitrogen?) sound. You can hear the pump run, while at the same time it deflates. The vehicle is not turned on, just keyless entry in proximity. Planning on taking it in tomorrow.
Wow. That sounds like serious air escaping - can you fill the draft with your hand ?

Don't let compressor to overheat/ burn - or you will need to replace it as well. Pull the compressor fuse if you have to.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, still some strange behavior going on. The shop isolated all 4 struts to 80psi, let it sit overnight. They said the FR dropped quite a bit an also the FL dropped 4mm the next day.

However, to be sure it was the strut and not a bad connection, they did a second test, disconnected and reconnected everything again and made sure the fittings were tight, aired it up to 85psi and soaped it up and check the strut, top of the strut to be sure there were no leaks.

14 hours later, little to no drop on either front strut. only a very slight drop and exactly equal on both sides. 820 mm to 800mm (I think he said mm?) however, not enough to be the culprit or least not enough to constitute a new strut or two. Rears have been fine and not moving at all. They are using shop air and not nitrogen though.

They are throwing out the first test to a bad fitting connection. They said the valve block was good, so I'm guessing it might be the line? perhaps the line or connection to the strut was bad and all the nitrogen was escaping thus causing the system to not be able to raise the car. Maybe that's what the noise from the video is from? I'm really hoping that's what it is. Still investigating.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:23 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Assuming the struts are not rebuildable and the entire thing needs to be replaced?
Depends on what's leaking. Possible leak points: air spring, a top mount seal, inlet valve seal, a top o-ring, and a lower o-ring. I've had the top mount seal leak before, part 958 343 018 20. That was found to be split upon disassembly.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garrett376
Depends on what's leaking. Possible leak points: air spring, a top mount seal, inlet valve seal, a top o-ring, and a lower o-ring. I've had the top mount seal leak before, part 958 343 018 20. That was found to be split upon disassembly.
They are suggesting to replace the Upper Strut Mount and a few O rings that go along with it. This is information that the Dealer relayed to them after explaining my story. Sounds like they have a good relationship and exchange information. So it would be a strut rebuild of sorts.
I'll get an idea of cost and rebuild labor and compare to a new strut and likely just do the FR and go from there.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Kirill
Racer

They are throwing out the first test to a bad fitting connection. They said the valve block was good, so I'm guessing it might be the line? perhaps the line or connection to the strut was bad and all the nitrogen was escaping thus causing the system to not be able to raise the car. Maybe that's what the noise from the video is from? I'm really hoping that's what it is. Still investigating.
I believe with PIWIS (Porsche's tester software) you can read the amount of Nitrogen in the system - i think it should be arroung 120 liters, So if you fill the system and next day you have 100 - than you have a leak in connectors. Does your shop have access to PIWIS to do the reading ?
Old 01-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kirill
I believe with PIWIS (Porsche's tester software) you can read the amount of Nitrogen in the system - i think it should be arroung 120 liters, So if you fill the system and next day you have 100 - than you have a leak in connectors. Does your shop have access to PIWIS to do the reading ?
They're going to do the upper strut mounts on both sides (they are saying both isolated struts are dropping) based on the Porsche Dealer advise. #6 and #7 I think he said one of which is a seal/mount/bushing of some sort. Probably next Tues or Wed completion. About $115 in parts and 6 hours total for everything (diagnosis, rebuild on both). Hope that will resolve it.

I think they were going to fill the system with Nitrogen themselves. They mentioned using their Race Nitrogen. Would that be compatible with Nitrogen 5? Otherwise, they might take it to the Dealer.

Otherwise, there are some full struts that are priced around $1k each at Sonnen Porsche if all else fails https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...PWxheWVyXzQ%3D
Porsche of Tampa as well, a little higher: http://www.porscheoftampaparts.com/P...-50-594196.htm
also that rebuilt one, but they are out of stock: https://www.suncoreindustries.com/p-...e-cayenne.aspx
Old 01-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Kirill
Racer

I think they were going to fill the system with Nitrogen themselves. They mentioned using their Race Nitrogen. Would that be compatible with Nitrogen 5? Otherwise, they might take it to the Dealer.
The is no standard that is called "Race Nitrogen" - means it can be anything, probably meant for race tires
Nitrogen 5 - refers to some purity level - http://www.airgas.com/p/NI%20UHP200
It's probably relatively cheap to get proper gas if you call your local Airgas

When I had kegerator - I used to get "medical grade" co2 for my beer - was only couple $ more than "welding" grade. medical grade gas probably helped with hangovers
Old 01-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 105 Posts

Great info! Although, I have contacted Autobahn Porsche and Sunset Porsche, both dealership service centers said they only service the system with Straight Air, never heard of using Nitrogen.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darien Nunn
Great info! Although, I have contacted Autobahn Porsche and Sunset Porsche, both dealership service centers said they only service the system with Straight Air, never heard of using Nitrogen.
So they don't follow Porsche's workshop manual? It's clearly specified in the manual. Hopefully you asked an uninformed service advisor!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Not questioning anyone’s expertise but this is the answer from Sunset. “Hi Darien, I asked a few techs and they said it is filled with straight air. Not a single tech has heard of it being filled with Nitrogen.”

Can you post the reference from the 958 Workshop Maunal?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Kirill
Racer

Not questioning anyone’s expertise but this is the answer from Sunset. “Hi Darien, I asked a few techs and they said it is filled with straight air. Not a single tech has heard of it being filled with Nitrogen.”

Unbelievable, these guys charge 300$ in hour in labor.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4639818
Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No expertise beyond reading comprehension needed, as WM 4301IN is pretty clear:

WM 4301IN BLEEDING AND FILLING THE LEVELLING SYSTEM (CAYENNE, CAYENNE GTS, CAYENNE TURBO S, CAYENNE S, CAYENNE S E-HYBRID, CAYENNE TURBO, CAYENNE S DIESEL, CAYENNE (3.0)) > BLEEDING AND FILLING ONE AXLE > BLEEDING AND FILLING THE ENTIRE AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM AND PRESSURE ACCUMULATOR

Information

Only nitrogen 5.0 may be used for filling the air suspension system. Available by requesting part number: 999.917.303.01.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I finally spoke to a service advisor stating it’s a closed loop system and charged with Nitrogen!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I finally spoke to a service advisor stating it’s a closed loop system and charged with Nitrogen!
That's sad if your quote above is true. Whatever dealer that is, they need some new "techs". Unless he surveyed the lot attendants... then that info might make sense.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
That's sad if your quote above is true. Whatever dealer that is, they need some new "techs". Unless he surveyed the lot attendants... then that info might make sense.
Lol too true.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension stuck in low level: "not possible" going up.