Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Air Suspension stuck in low level: "not possible" going up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
They replaced both fronts and one rear that developed a leak during calibration, plus the pump. They replaced entire struts, not just springs, because according to them it came down to almost the same money due to less labor. It was not under warranty :-(
The dealer did the work? How much $$ did they get you for?
What year is your Cayenne?
Old 12-27-2017, 09:37 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
The dealer did the work? How much $$ did they get you for?
What year is your Cayenne?
It is 2011 Turbo. I don't remember the total. The work was started by an independent and finished by Porsche Langley (BC, Canada). I'm kicking myself because the car was dropping overnight since 3-4 years ago, and I just thought it was normal, and it only got to the point of showing error messages after the warranty expired, and that also only happened at sub-freezing temperatures. I shoukld have brought it in while it was still on warranty. But anyway, don't want to thread-jack. I only brought that up because in my case it also started with front passenger side corner leaking.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It is 2011 Turbo. I don't remember the total. The work was started by an independent and finished by Porsche Langley (BC, Canada). I'm kicking myself because the car was dropping overnight since 3-4 years ago, and I just thought it was normal, and it only got to the point of showing error messages after the warranty expired, and that also only happened at sub-freezing temperatures. I shoukld have brought it in while it was still on warranty. But anyway, don't want to thread-jack. I only brought that up because in my case it also started with front passenger side corner leaking.
Was it parked outside?
My understanding is suspension problems in sub-freezing temperature - means moisture in the system. I saw some threads on Toureg forums about people disassembling the pump to extract and dry out silica gel - but that was the previous generation, don't know if Nitrogen filled version has silica gel. In your case, it took 3-4 years for system to leak, maybe it's worth doing "replace silica gel and refill with Nitrogen" service every couple years or before every winter.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Was it parked outside?
My understanding is suspension problems in sub-freezing temperature - means moisture in the system. I saw some threads on Toureg forums about people disassembling the pump to extract and dry out silica gel - but that was the previous generation, don't know if Nitrogen filled version has silica gel. In your case, it took 3-4 years for system to leak, maybe it's worth doing "replace silica gel and refill with Nitrogen" service every couple years or before every winter.
No, parked in a warm garage. It was always in the lower position, which may have contributed to that issue. I also offroaded it several times, but it started dropping to the ground overnight long before I took it offroad for the first time.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:31 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know if pressure release valve is part of air spring? Could the leak be the release valve not closing completely?
Pressure release valve? I dont have the system memorized but really the only valves are in the valve block. The lines to the individual struts run out from here as well as the line from the compressor. The system on this car is sealed so the idea is you charge up the system and its good for life (assuming no leaks) so theres really no valve that is releasing air out like there was on first gen Cayenne.

Was it parked outside?
From what I've heard there were issues in very cold temperatures with the air suspension but was due the valve block getting stuck due to the low temperature. I've heard this was corrected by reprogramming the level control CU and increasing the current used to move the valves. I wouldn't really know though as I live in a warm weather area, just something I heard. Also seeing as 92a Cayenne uses a sealed system filled with nitrogen, I dont think moisture is a problem. I certainly dont recall seeing anything in my training about any kind of dessicant or drying being used or being serviceable.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my car back from a reputable German repair shop today. They ran out of time and I have to take it back next week and still have not identified the issue, but here is what we found so far: (I'm paraphrasing from a phone call, so please excuse my interpretation)

- Fault 0284: Control position not adjustable. Vehicle too high or too low. (generic fault).
- Battery system reset.
- FR strut 10MM lower than rest of vehicle. They said they could not detect any leaks in the strut unless it is very small.
- Next step: Check strut air lines for leaks.

- Fuse checked: OK
- Relay function checked: OK. They said they would replace the relay since its cheap just in case. I have not driven it yet to see if that makes a difference or not.

Interestingly, I got a yellow headlamp sensor fault message on (or something similar) the other day, which means it could be the level sensor. So perhaps that might be the culprit.

My guy said the cold weather causes the Dessicant bag to freeze up which in turn causes the pump to fail, at least temporarily. It could cause damage if the compressor keeps trying to work and overheats while the bag is frozen. Not sure why Porsche could have overlooked such a weak link for cold weather. Seems quite prevalent.

If anyone else is having this problem, first simple things to check would be the fuse and the relay (which is in the trunk area).
Old 12-29-2017, 09:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Darien Nunn
I’ve been searching for a fix. Can you elaborate on your past issues and what fixed the problem? Do you have the same air system?
I have a 2011 turbo. I've had my pump fail due to an internal valve solenoid failure so all 4 corners were dropped and the vehicle could not raise above low level. This had all kinds of recorded faults which pointed to the problem of a failed vent solenoid valve in the pump itself. New pump cured that issue. Couple years later I had the valve block replaced; it likely should have been replaced at the time of the pump failure. My valve block pending failure caused no failure/fault codes but I noticed the front right strut would make an air hissing sound and the strut would lose the most height with the right rear dropping slightly, too. This was most prominently noticed when lifting the left side of the vehicle to change wheels - the right front would collapse significantly with the air hissing noise, versus no collapse elsewhere. The valve block replacement cured this problem. In both of my cases, the struts were checked and not found to be leaking.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:44 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanomite
My guy said the cold weather causes the Dessicant bag to freeze up which in turn causes the pump to fail, at least temporarily. It could cause damage if the compressor keeps trying to work and overheats while the bag is frozen. Not sure why Porsche could have overlooked such a weak link for cold weather. Seems quite prevalent.
That applies to 955 and 957's, not 958's thanks to their nitrogen system...

Also, the 958 system should be filled with nitrogen 5, not standard shop nitrogen.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:44 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Got my car back from a reputable German repair shop today. They ran out of time and I have to take it back next week and still have not identified the issue, but here is what we found so far: (I'm paraphrasing from a phone call, so please excuse my interpretation)

- Fault 0284: Control position not adjustable. Vehicle too high or too low. (generic fault).
- Battery system reset.
- FR strut 10MM lower than rest of vehicle. They said they could not detect any leaks in the strut unless it is very small.
- Next step: Check strut air lines for leaks.

- Fuse checked: OK
- Relay function checked: OK. They said they would replace the relay since its cheap just in case. I have not driven it yet to see if that makes a difference or not.

Interestingly, I got a yellow headlamp sensor fault message on (or something similar) the other day, which means it could be the level sensor. So perhaps that might be the culprit.

If anyone else is having this problem, first simple things to check would be the fuse and the relay (which is in the trunk area).
Now I have never personally disassembled a compressor on the new cayenne but I'm pretty sure there is no desiccant bag in the air suspension on your cayenne. The system is sealed and inflated with nitrogen, I'm pretty sure there is no need for a desiccant. It sure sounds like a leaky front bag to me. I've seen it on the 92as quite a few times, always the passenger front for some reason. The only thing that causes one of the corners to leak is air (well, nitrogen to be exact) moving out of the air bellows on that corner. Either its leaking out into the atmosphere or its leaking back through the valve block. I The proper way to diagnose is a leak is Porsche has a factory tool thats screws onto the air lines at the valve block and you manually inflate the air springs. This isolates the air spring and the line from the rest of the system. If that corner still drops when the strut is isolated there is a leak in the strut or the line, simple as that. A leak in the air line is almost of heard of (but i have seen it once on a panamera.) If that corner does not drop then its likely you have a problem with the valve block.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips, i'll pass the info along about the strut and valve block. I think they are more experienced in the older Cayennes than the newer ones, so that was his experience offhand with the Dessicant bag.
I've heard the front right lower with an audibly loud Pshhhhhhh as if it was venting and watched the whole front end drop to low level at times. Would a leak be that loud or is that perhaps just part of the lowering process of some sort? Only did it a few times.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Kirill
Racer

Thanks for the tips, i'll pass the info along about the strut and valve block. I think they are more experienced in the older Cayennes than the newer ones, so that was his experience offhand with the Dessicant bag.
I've heard the front right lower with an audibly loud Pshhhhhhh as if it was venting and watched the whole front end drop to low level at times. Would a leak be that loud or is that perhaps just part of the lowering process of some sort? Only did it a few times.
If it doesn't do it 100% of the time - it's strange behavior if it's a leak.
I read some account where Nitrogen reload at dealer fixed an issue.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Kirill
Racer

Here are some pics of the disassembled compressor for toureg (similar to 955/957) showing desiccant and rust that started to develop. It's probably not a manufacturer approved procedure - but the guy says it took him couple hours and fixed his issue.
I know we are talking about 958 and it is the Nitrogen filled system. But maybe compressor on 958 is similar. If 958 system leaks out Nitrogen - it probably gets replaced with air from the atmosphere and with air comes the moisture.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:48 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

I honestly think you would be better off taking it to a dealer and then pressing for goodwill assistance once they figure it out. This system is not designed to vent to the atmosphere ever, it is a closed system.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PTEC
Now I have never personally disassembled a compressor on the new cayenne but I'm pretty sure there is no desiccant bag in the air suspension on your cayenne. The system is sealed and inflated with nitrogen, I'm pretty sure there is no need for a desiccant. It sure sounds like a leaky front bag to me. I've seen it on the 92as quite a few times, always the passenger front for some reason. The only thing that causes one of the corners to leak is air (well, nitrogen to be exact) moving out of the air bellows on that corner. Either its leaking out into the atmosphere or its leaking back through the valve block. I The proper way to diagnose is a leak is Porsche has a factory tool thats screws onto the air lines at the valve block and you manually inflate the air springs. This isolates the air spring and the line from the rest of the system. If that corner still drops when the strut is isolated there is a leak in the strut or the line, simple as that. A leak in the air line is almost of heard of (but i have seen it once on a panamera.) If that corner does not drop then its likely you have a problem with the valve block.
I have the car going into the shop Monday and they are going to inspect the Strut, lines and valve block with the factory tools you mentioned. Assuming the struts are not rebuildable and the entire thing needs to be replaced?
I've never heard of a Dealership goodwill repair. I doubt they would go for it since my car is so far out of warranty, what kind of situations would qualify?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Here are a couple videos of the self leveling ride height increase and the escaping (air / nitrogen?) sound. You can hear the pump run, while at the same time it deflates. The vehicle is not turned on, just keyless entry in proximity. Planning on taking it in tomorrow.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1it...xRNeW3hDodkzh_

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ap...C9glXcvZUHt2YJ

Quick Reply: Air Suspension stuck in low level: "not possible" going up.