Sponsored By:

tire alternative for 295/35r21?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:09 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
2) the pirelli have zero customer reviews, while the DWS have 458 reviews and a 4.5 rating.
I believe that has to do with the fact that this Pirelli is quite new and became available in the market only fairly recently.

Worth noting that it's also in a slightly different class than the DWS06. The DWS06 is classified as an ultra high performance all season tire. This Pirelli is not in that ultra performance class of tire.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, just depends on what your requirements are. And of course the DWS06 model does have some real world reviews at this point which this Pirelli currently lacks.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I somehow missed this earlier. On my recently departed Range Rover Sport, I had the same DWS tires, albeit in a 20” wheel.

I loved them. They performed admirably in all but snow and ice, which I never ran them in. I had a dedicated set of Toyo or Yokohama snows for the white stuff.

Performance was great and they seemed to wear very well on the heavy RRS, so comparable to the P!G. Handling was great, as was wet traction. I only took them off tarmac a few times and it was mainly graded dirt and gravel, so tough to tell for that sort of driving, if you intend to go off road.

They provided plenty of feedback and were quiet with road noise. Unless I was going with a slightly bigger AT tire, I would have replaced the RRS tires with the DWS.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:07 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
I believe that has to do with the fact that this Pirelli is quite new and became available in the market only fairly recently.

Worth noting that it's also in a slightly different class than the DWS06. The DWS06 is classified as an ultra high performance all season tire. This Pirelli is not in that ultra performance class of tire.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, just depends on what your requirements are. And of course the DWS06 model does have some real world reviews at this point which this Pirelli currently lacks.
It's been two months, and during that time there's been 30 more reviews for the DWS06 (489 today) and 0 reviews for the Pirelli. DWS06 is looking better all the time.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

It's been two months, and during that time there's been 30 more reviews for the DWS06 (489 today) and 0 reviews for the Pirelli. DWS06 is looking better all the time.
Yep. I suspect the DWS06 is so popular and such a good choice, nobody seems to be trying out the new Pirelli...or at least those that might have aren't posting any reviews? Plus I think the Pirelli is a bit more expensive (?) and the DWS06 is in a higher performance class of tire (which generally appeals to Cayenne owners).
Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I highly recommend getting a second set of rims and tires, DWS tires may be ok, but never great for any condition. For snow driving, skinnier tires are better and your car even have a setting for snow tires vs summer. Why - because cars in Europe are typically sold with a set of summers and set of winter tire and rims.
Therefore, I recommend;
1. Get a new set of rims and tires for winter driving
2. Change alignment to 0.5 camber and zero toe, square set up that improves tire life but with some sacrifice on cornering ability
3. get new better summer tires for your 21s

This will help you not to have the worst driving car you have ever had.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-scien...int-1820640922
Old 01-12-2018, 02:57 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
I highly recommend getting a second set of rims and tires, DWS tires may be ok, but never great for any condition. For snow driving, skinnier tires are better and your car even have a setting for snow tires vs summer. Why - because cars in Europe are typically sold with a set of summers and set of winter tire and rims.
Therefore, I recommend;
2. Change alignment to 0.5 camber and zero toe, square set up that improves tire life but with some sacrifice on cornering ability

honestly, for the price of a extra set of snow tires laying around and swapping them every year, I'd almost rather just have an inexpensive extra vehicle for the winter, since the winter's here aren't bad, just a few days of snow, but even that's annoying enough to consider tires that can be used all year. That and the latitude sports only lasted a year, that's what was really annoying, to spend $1,700 on tires every 10,000 miles and I didn't even make it to the track on them so that's just regular street driving.

I went ahead and bought the Extremecontact's today, I hope they handle as well as the latitudes did on dry and wet pavement.

this video made me feel a little better about my decision
Old 06-10-2018, 03:50 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Therefore, I recommend;

@tgavem, what didn't you like about the DW6 O6s? I have two sets of wheels/tires for mine, and my tires on my 20s are worn (and have a screw in one), so it's time to put new tires on the 20s. My 19s were the OE 19s, fwiw. I bought the 20s (sport design) off of ebay used.

I have the Michelins on the 20s right now, and love the way they handle, but they seem prone to picking up screws? And, I'm a huge michelin fan. I do occasionally hit some snow and ice in the winter, and would like to avoid swapping wheels/tires, but I'm getting pretty good at it, so it isn't a big deal (30min job on the Cayenne).

Is it the soft sidewall I'm hearing about on the DWS'? Something else? Or just a bias against all-season tires?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:56 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Actually, just stumbled upon these ( Michelin Pilot Sport A/S N-spec ) and am planning on giving them a try.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:32 PM
porschedad_73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

honestly, for the price of a extra set of snow tires laying around and swapping them every year, I'd almost rather just have an inexpensive extra vehicle for the winter, since the winter's here aren't bad, just a few days of snow, but even that's annoying enough to consider tires that can be used all year. That and the latitude sports only lasted a year, that's what was really annoying, to spend $1,700 on tires every 10,000 miles and I didn't even make it to the track on them so that's just regular street driving.

I went ahead and bought the Extremecontact's today, I hope they handle as well as the latitudes did on dry and wet pavement.

this video made me feel a little better about my decision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQqvz8QCAaY
Hi, how are those Conti's working out for you? I just recently picked up a 2015 CPO Cayenne S with Latitude Sports on them (Size: 295/35R21). Just noticed a bubble in one of them. Got the dealer to agree to reimburse that 1 tire. Anyway, with the harsh winters here in Chicago, I'd rather use that money to replace all 4 to the AS Conti's instead of buying another Latitude which is only good for summer. I'm definitely leaning towards the Conti's which seems to give the best bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: tire alternative for 295/35r21?