Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

If, IF there is a Gen2 3.0L buyback, what will you get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:34 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

A horse. The worst polluting means of transportation. Just to give CARB one of my fingers
Old 10-04-2017, 08:32 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I would consider a CX-9
Old 10-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

I just got a new 911 GTS. I might just drive that until I can get a new Cayenne S
Old 10-16-2017, 12:28 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My tank heater is finally caput so I dropped it off this morning for a replacement. For once they gave me a Cayenne loaner rather than the Mercs they usually give.

Originally I started looking at the base Cayenne until the diesel was released. I think I would have been perfectly happy with the V6 if I had never driven the diesel. This loaner didn't leave me wanting at all, but my diesel is definitely a smoother feel.

Definitely made the right seat choice though! I have the upgraded comfort seats (14 way?) and this has the base 8. Far less bolstering and feels kinda like a board...

And it REALLY feels weird running the revs past 4k
Old 10-16-2017, 12:55 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
My tank heater is finally caput so I dropped it off this morning for a replacement. For once they gave me a Cayenne loaner rather than the Mercs they usually give.

Originally I started looking at the base Cayenne until the diesel was released. I think I would have been perfectly happy with the V6 if I had never driven the diesel. This loaner didn't leave me wanting at all, but my diesel is definitely a smoother feel.

Definitely made the right seat choice though! I have the upgraded comfort seats (14 way?) and this has the base 8. Far less bolstering and feels kinda like a board...

And it REALLY feels weird running the revs past 4k
I can imagine that the new base V6 in the 2018+, with it running 0-60 in less than 6 will be a mega-improvement over the old 3.6L NA V6.

I like the 14 way seats as well but have heard that the 18 way seats are even stiffer. I think as time is going on, the seats are sort of getting softer but I have no issues with the 14 ways at all.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:23 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BenCD
I can imagine that the new base V6 in the 2018+, with it running 0-60 in less than 6 will be a mega-improvement over the old 3.6L NA V6.
I've only ever really heard 2 complaints of the VR6 in the Cayenne. One is that the transmissions seems to "hunt" more in it where it just can't seem to find they right gear. I didn't really experience that, but I may have not given it that option

The second is that it is under powered. From my experience, however, those that complain about the power were mostly those that had driven the bigger engines or wanted the bigger engines. It won't win many races, but it doesn't seem to be a push over by any stretch. I does seem to have a lot of drama when you want to accelerate (kicking down multiple gears, lots of noise, etc..) though. That's what I like in the diesel over it. No drama, just go often without so much as a downshift.

I like the 14 way seats as well but have heard that the 18 way seats are even stiffer. I think as time is going on, the seats are sort of getting softer but I have no issues with the 14 ways at all.
I wish I had gotten the 18s for the increased bolsters, but I certainly have no complaints with the 14s. I almost cut them to squeeze in full leather, definitely glad I didn't.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering I just joined the CD family; I doubt I’d take the buy back. It would need to significantly more money for me to give it up so quickly. I’d really only want another Cayenne Diesel; both for the smoothness and the towng. Sure, I can get the same amount of towing in a Turbo (and maybe a GTS?), but man - this thing is sweet. And different.

Like gnat said; there’s no drama. It just pulls. And It’s so damn smooth!

I’d probably look at the Audi Q7 and the square body RRS with he 5.0L supercharged engine. I loved my 4.2L RRS S/C. An outlier would be a BMW 5 series wagon diesel w/AWD. The outlier would be to get another F-150 EcoBoost and put a slide-in camper in the bed for track days and storm chasing when the snow flies.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:20 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Sure, I can get the same amount of towing in a Turbo (and maybe a GTS?)
Actually all except the Hybrids have the same rating. The difference will be how smoothly they start off and change speed due to the torque. The 958.2 S has about the same torque as the diesel, so I would expect it to tow similarly with the MPG being the big difference.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Actually all except the Hybrids have the same rating. The difference will be how smoothly they start off and change speed due to the torque. The 958.2 S has about the same torque as the diesel, so I would expect it to tow similarly with the MPG being the big difference.
Ahh, good to know. I figured as much with the NA V6 versions and the turbo. I wasn’t sure about the GTS since it has a channeled body to drop the ride height (I think?).

In any case, it doesn’t rule out a Cayenne. Just as you say; smoothness. My RRS supercharged engine was great for that due the belt-driven nature of the forced induction. The transmission was another story...
Old 10-16-2017, 03:28 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

The outlier would be to get another F-150 EcoBoost and put a slide-in camper in the bed for track days and storm chasing when the snow flies.
They are putting in the Rover 3.0 V6 diesel in the F150 available next spring. I am not a truck person but am tempted..
Old 10-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by chsu74
They are putting in the Rover 3.0 V6 diesel in the F150 available next spring. I am not a truck person but am tempted..
Really? Must be feeling the pressure from Nissan. Interesting, nonetheless.

I had a ‘12 F-150 EcoBoost (which is a stupid name as it’s a thirsty engine) and loved the forced induction, the torque and the smoothness of the engine. I sold it in less than a month of moving to Portland. I was hell driving it around the city. Great truck in the year+ I owned it.

Now that I have my 99tt; that could see more daily driving duty alongside a F-150. Ford has really stepped up their build quality. The interior on the FX-4 and above are really quite good. Not Porsche good, but much better than other options available.

I’d still rather have my CD at the moment.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Was thinking about this the other day... I think I’d pickup a 958.1 turbo with lower miles, earlier ones, They can be had in the upper 30s to lower 40s roughly. Take the rest of the $, have it CPO and/or buy after market warranty.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:26 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Really? Must be feeling the pressure from Nissan. Interesting, nonetheless.
More likely pressure from the RAM 1500 with its 3.0l diesel. And rumors of an impending Chevy 1500 and even Colorado) diesel option. And possibly even the upcoming Jeep pickup with its diesel.

The Nissan is somewhere between the 1500 and 2500 vehicles. More capability than a half ton, less than a 3/4. I'm sure there are common buyers, but I'd guess it's the other pure half ton diesel options that Ford feels pressure from.

I suspect that the Nissan draws interest from those considering the 3/4 ton trucks. If I was looking to replace my Ram 2500/Cummins, I'd start looking at that Nissan for sure!
Old 10-17-2017, 05:14 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Ugh. Just picked my baby up from getting it's heater replaced and I'm mad at VAG and CARB/EPA all over again.

The 3.0l TDI was the perfect pairing for the Cayenne. What really stood out to me in the base today was that it upshifts as stupidly fast as my CD does (was in 5th for 23mph this morning ), but where the diesel will wake up nicely at 1500RPM and get moving effectively that plain V6 had to downshift quite a bit

I only had to pull out of the dealer in the CD before "god I love this thing" was uttered. As I said earlier, just no drama.

Reiterates that I just have no idea what I would really replace it with if I was forced to (e.g. totaled). CARB/EPA are going to have to pry it out of my hands if it comes to a buyback.

And we'll never see another new CD here in the US
Old 10-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

And we'll never see another new CD here in the US
Ever? Like forever and ever? Or just the near term?

Quick Reply: If, IF there is a Gen2 3.0L buyback, what will you get?