Sponsored By:

Cayenne Hybrid and Towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
Anyone with a Hybrid that is towing roughly 6,000-7,000lbs? Just curious your experience as I'm thinking about jumping into a Cayenne S Hybrid, but I still need it to tow a 3000lbs enclosed trailer with a 3300lbs car inside. Any experiences or issues?
My trailer has four wheels, is 4 meters long, and takes a couple of snow mobiles no problem. I used it over the summer to haul hard wood around for fence posts. I had 50, 4 meter 10cm x 10cm posts on it. Plus concrete and a bunch of other stuff. Solid as a rock.

I actually don't know the weight of the trailer. I could check. But it was previously used for moving a mid sized digger / earth mover around. The tail gate on it is strong enough to drive that or a car up. All metal. So I'd say it is roughly the same as towing a car in an enclosed trailer. I'd certainly have zero worries doing that either.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The TT brakes would fire your teeth out, the S was also damn good. The Diesel was brilliant, I am told the strange weight distribution and the regenerating system reduce the seat of the pants effectiveness of the brakes on the hybrid

I use the seat of my pants for a lot of things, its will stop in an emergency for sure but normal driving sucks

I do not want to do emergency stop all the time

A trailer with decent electric brakes might actually help, use the trailer brakes to slow the car

Originally Posted by thescratt
I'd get yours looked at if I was you.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:49 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had TTs. Sure they do stop better, but I'd still get yours looked at if I was you. =)

There is no doubt the hybrids do wallow more, and have more weight. But I have zero concerns about their stopping ability.

EDIT : I guess it also comes down to driving style.. I always tend to engine brake (something I do miss on the hybrid because it's not really a thing on those). But in an emergency, or coming to a halt quickly I have zero concerns in the hybrid. Slower braking, when approaching a junction for example, can feel odd as the systems all tend to fight one another and you have to adjust on the fly. But that is a whole world of different from the braking not being effective IMO.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its so easy to forget and you end up rolling up the $#% of the guy in front if your not careful

Will not let passenger seat drive this, no way would it end well.

And stealer has had it to look at

Originally Posted by thescratt
I've had TTs. Sure they do stop better, but I'd still get yours looked at if I was you. =)

There is no doubt the hybrids do wallow more, and have more weight. But I have zero concerns about their stopping ability.

EDIT : I guess it also comes down to driving style.. I always tend to engine brake (something I do miss on the hybrid because it's not really a thing on those). But in an emergency, or coming to a halt quickly I have zero concerns in the hybrid. Slower braking, when approaching a junction for example, can feel odd as the systems all tend to fight one another and you have to adjust on the fly. But that is a whole world of different from the braking not being effective IMO.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:38 PM
EarthMuff
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a hybrid owner, it is my understanding that the battery prevents a towing hitch. I’d love to add one to my car if possible?!!

Originally Posted by Ken968
Hello guys, I'm looking into getting a Cayenne S Hybrid around 2012-2014 model and wanted to know if you can retrofit the OEM tow hitch onto these cars. From what I read it was not an option from the dealer? If anyone has used an aftermarket trailer hitch what are the risks involved and do you still need to have a module program by the dealer to enable everything to work properly?

Right now I'm thinking I may have to just get a non hybrid "S" model so I can tow a small trailer when needed.

Thanks for any info you guys can give

Ken
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

All I can speak to is my experience over the past 6 years towing with a 2011 Hybrid S and it has been fantastic. Most of the towing has been a 2000 lb race car in a 20'enclosed Thule aluminum trailer. I also tow my GS car which is 3000 lbs. With that I"m probably around 6500-7000 lbs combined with tools, tires, fuel etc. 84,000 now on the car, no real problems to speak of. I've been diligent on service and things have gone well.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 PM
EarthMuff
5th Gear

Very exciting news! We were told we couldn’t get a tow package. Did you order your Cayenne with it or aftermarket?
Old 10-31-2017, 10:55 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Tow package when I ordered the car from Porsche.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:59 PM
EarthMuff
5th Gear

Thanks! I guess I lucked out. He can do the towing in his truck!!
Good Vibes!
Old 11-30-2017, 04:11 PM
wrxskier
2nd Gear

This looks amazing. Sadly I appear to have some "extra" piece of sheet metal at the bottom of my bumper valance panel and (without taking it apart which I will do tonight), I can't tell if that means "I'm screwed".

Did your configuration look like this as well?

what is that piece of sheet metal covering? (will dig into this tonight ...)
Old 12-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what mine looked like prior to changing it out.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a picture of a red GTS with lower tow bumper cutout with out the hitch receiver.

And some pics of mine when i was doing the swap.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 PM
wrxskier
2nd Gear

I finally managed to get this done by using the parts list supplied by Edman951.

Attached are some photos of the installation process. I had attempted to do it myself but couldn't convince myself to pry as hard as needed to remove the plastic bits holding the bumper on near the taillights so I decided to pay someone (300$) to do the installation instead. This included putting the new lower valence part on which turned out to be quite a pain in the bum given that it appears as though many of the tabs holding this piece on appear to be a one time "install only" type-thing, if that makes any sense. The results look great, thanks again for everyone who posted here with their results. Attaching a few photos of how this all panned out for my car.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:57 PM
arrowheaddoctor
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just following up on this thread... any issues with towing during this time? I have '17 SEH looking to tow a GT3 ~200-300 miles to tracks... appreciate any info
Old 10-17-2021, 04:44 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowheaddoctor
Just following up on this thread... any issues with towing during this time? I have '17 SEH looking to tow a GT3 ~200-300 miles to tracks... appreciate any info
Bump for the same question

Quick Reply: Cayenne Hybrid and Towing