Sponsored By:

What does PDLS Do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What does PDLS Do?

My vehicle has PDLS, but i have no idea what that really means. Can someone explain it's functionality to me? When I begin a turn, the headlights have a side light that comes on, but they don't actually turn with the vehicle (ie. that side light is static, and I thought I read that even non-PDLS vehicles have this function).
Old 08-17-2017, 07:18 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel 67
My vehicle has PDLS, but i have no idea what that really means. Can someone explain it's functionality to me? When I begin a turn, the headlights have a side light that comes on, but they don't actually turn with the vehicle (ie. that side light is static, and I thought I read that even non-PDLS vehicles have this function).
Simply put, when you are underway, and turn left or right, the headlights swivel into the turn. It is very subtle but when you pay attention to it, you can see the lights move to and fro.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (02-15-2023)
Old 08-20-2017, 11:08 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
Simply put, when you are underway, and turn left or right, the headlights swivel into the turn. It is very subtle but when you pay attention to it, you can see the lights move to and fro.
Bingo. But I've noticed for some reason the operation of the system seems much more subtle on the Cayenne versus the Macan. On my CTT you really have to be looking for it to notice it working, but on the Macan GTS I had it was much more noticeable.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:15 PM
TxHoon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY GTS also has head light assist. It will automatically go from low to high beam and back when possible. It is a pretty good feature. This was part of PDLS+
Old 10-17-2017, 02:14 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Default high beam assistant to active?

My '17 GTS has PDLS+ and the high beam assistant. Where it will automatically raise/lower the high beams based on detected conditions. It works nicely.

But it doesn't default to being active. I have to press the turn signal stalk forward (position 3 in this diagram) to activate it.

I tried using the SET/Key memory function to remember it, but that did not work.

A previous vehicle had this option and it was quite useful. Is there a setting in the Cayenne that would default this to active? Does it get remembered in other markets outside PCNA?
carlos85 (02-15-2023)
Old 10-17-2017, 02:53 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel 67
If you can find a foggy day or night you will see the headlight turn as your vehicle turns. In clear conditions it is more difficult to see, but it should be happening. If not there may be a problem with your PDLS.
Needsdecaf (02-15-2023)
Old 10-20-2017, 04:55 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
If you can find a foggy day or night you will see the headlight turn as your vehicle turns. In clear conditions it is more difficult to see, but it should be happening. If not there may be a problem with your PDLS.
And if the PDLS system is in fact not turning when it should and there is a problem, I think you'd also receive a warning message on the multi-function display.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:56 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

You can watch the lights swivel when turning them on. First they dip, then come back level, then a quick twitch left and right. They don't swivel with the wheel when in park, but do when in drive.

As others have stated, it's pretty easy to miss compared to other makes and models, though I think that is mainly due to a fairly flat and wide beam to begin with.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:08 AM
carlos85
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've found the same with this, My previous E-class defaulted to the intelligent light system automatically on and I had to turn it off. I have also tried setting it on the key as on to no avail, It seems like something that should be on all the time.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:12 AM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

PDLS+ is severely restricted in the US and maybe all of North American market as many of its features where deemed illegal at the time. Drive a Euro version of the PDLS + system and you will be amazed at what it can do
wkearney99 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 09:23 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitegalaxie
PDLS+ is severely restricted in the US and maybe all of North American market as many of its features where deemed illegal at the time. Drive a Euro version of the PDLS + system and you will be amazed at what it can do
I think you're thinking of the more modern PDLS+. I don't think the 958 generation car was so neutered in the US.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:23 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
This is definitely when I see it most easily.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:47 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitegalaxie
Is there a coding work-around to activate it?
Old 02-15-2023, 05:05 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Is there a coding work-around to activate it?
I haven't found one yet
Old 02-15-2023, 08:06 PM
JamesN
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

MY 2017 CS has the PDLS and I definitely notice it. Had it on my 16 diesel also. Cornering lights as well as swiveling headlights . I have a 1/2 mile very dark lane to drive to get to my house . The lights point the way!. Also have it on a 2019 Subaru forester and it's just as good.

Jim

Quick Reply: What does PDLS Do?