Sponsored By:

Ashtray phone mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:56 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ashtray phone mount

While discussing a 3d printed cup holder sleeve solution similar to (but way better than) tequipment's option, several members expressed interest in a phone mount that takes the place of useless ashtray/storage insert.

The first and by far biggest step was modeling a plug that will fit in place of the factory ashtray (or storage bin depending on your option.) Once that plug is right, adding a mount to the top of the model is trivial.
What I have below is a proof-of-concept modeled and printed. I'll be refining it so it has the contours to look reasonable when not installed, but functionally it fits well and is snug.

Now, I'm looking for input on what kind of mount you guys would like to see attached to the top of this. In my mind, I'm thinking a minimalist arm with one of those 17mm steel ***** would do the trick, but I'm totally open to suggestions.

Anyway, here's what I have so far:

The following 2 users liked this post by AGARubberDuck:
ceeul8r (09-23-2023), Wallace1972 (03-08-2024)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:36 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Here's something quick and dirty to help visualize. But I don't know, never use phone mounts.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I think you want the arm to reach back over the lid of the compartment, moving the phone back toward the dash. Adding a mount to the idea above might result on the phone being in conflict with the shift lever when it's in PARK - the two might be occupying the same space..
Old 08-16-2017, 12:27 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I think you want the arm to reach back over the lid of the compartment, moving the phone back toward the dash. Adding a mount to the idea above might result on the phone being in conflict with the shift lever when it's in PARK - the two might be occupying the same space..
Right, there will be some playing with the angles involved. Too far forward and the shifter is a problem. Too far back and important radio functions will be obscured.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:09 PM
gadgetrex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend that the arm have a pivot/rotation point, where it meets the base. Taking into account strength or lack thereof as a limitation, would it be possible to have a ladder-look to the arm, so as to be able to see through it? I'm not talented enough artistically to say whether that will look good, however. Just thinking about for when the phone is not there.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:16 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Here is my $0.02. Is this pivot ball design a means to provide an attachment to an existing phone mount accessor available which we have to buy as well? If so, can we know which product and see if that product can accommodate all/if not most cell phone shapes.

I use a phone cover/sleeve. A pivot ball design will require me to buy a magnetic attachment solution from phone to a pivot ball which I hope to avoid as an user. Is a "vent fin" design also a possibility so we can use/buy "air vent" phone holders to attach cell phone to this piece?
Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Actually - there is one company that sells Cayenne specific mounts (mount to the side panel of the console - no screws, tape or other damage to the leather..) and it's made up of 2 pieces. The mount to the car, then a mount from that mount for the phone. They screw together - standardized screw hole pattern allows them to sell a variety of phone specific mounts that fit the one common car-mount.

Lets see if I can find it (I have one in my P!G - works great..)

Found it: http://www.proclipusa.com/

The car-mount selection: http://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/da...e-cayenne/2011

Different "standard" phone mounts for different phones: http://www.proclipusa.com/product-finder/device

The phone mount I bought: http://www.proclipusa.com/product/51...e-lighter-plug

I'm thinking if you simply provided a flat surface with the dimples in it to screw the screws holding the phone holder to the base - you'd provide a great alternative to the ones Proclip is selling. I have the right-side mounted one, and it does block access to the HVAC controls for a passenger.

I can measure the mounting plate for you if you'd consider this design.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Following. I've been setting my iPhone 6+ in the ashtray since I got this thing. Happy to see someone coming up with a solution!!
Old 08-17-2017, 02:32 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gadgetrex
I recommend that the arm have a pivot/rotation point, where it meets the base. Taking into account strength or lack thereof as a limitation, would it be possible to have a ladder-look to the arm, so as to be able to see through it? I'm not talented enough artistically to say whether that will look good, however. Just thinking about for when the phone is not there.
I get where you're coming from with this. Part of the idea here is that it's fairly easily removed when not needed, but once I get some prototypes printed up I'll look at how obstructive it is when in place. Of course with a phone attached you won't see the base. My thoughts were "More material, more ridged." Which is nearly always preferable.

Originally Posted by chsu74
Here is my $0.02. Is this pivot ball design a means to provide an attachment to an existing phone mount accessor available which we have to buy as well? If so, can we know which product and see if that product can accommodate all/if not most cell phone shapes.

I use a phone cover/sleeve. A pivot ball design will require me to buy a magnetic attachment solution from phone to a pivot ball which I hope to avoid as an user. Is a "vent fin" design also a possibility so we can use/buy "air vent" phone holders to attach cell phone to this piece?
This is the kind of feedback I'm soliciting. With the metal ball, I've seen small adhesive, concave ***** that stick right to the back of a phone or cover, allowing a pretty good range of motion and super-low-profile mounting. I've also seen where this concave **** is attached to a strong magnetic plate, and you stick a ferrous plate to the back of your phone or inside a cover.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

As far as a 'vent fin' type mount, I don't think I'd make that exactly, but more of a sturdy piece with a hole where a machined screw could be used to mount whatever you'd like, more robust than the vent clip style.
I could be pretty easily persuaded to change my mind, just my experience with vent clip mounts allow the whole phone with mount to flop around when driving.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Actually - there is one company that sells Cayenne specific mounts (mount to the side panel of the console - no screws, tape or other damage to the leather..) and it's made up of 2 pieces. The mount to the car, then a mount from that mount for the phone. They screw together - standardized screw hole pattern allows them to sell a variety of phone specific mounts that fit the one common car-mount.

Lets see if I can find it (I have one in my P!G - works great..)

Found it: http://www.proclipusa.com/

The car-mount selection: http://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/da...e-cayenne/2011

Different "standard" phone mounts for different phones: http://www.proclipusa.com/product-finder/device

The phone mount I bought: http://www.proclipusa.com/product/51...e-lighter-plug

I'm thinking if you simply provided a flat surface with the dimples in it to screw the screws holding the phone holder to the base - you'd provide a great alternative to the ones Proclip is selling. I have the right-side mounted one, and it does block access to the HVAC controls for a passenger.

I can measure the mounting plate for you if you'd consider this design.
Thanks, Don. This precisely what I'm after personally. I want a cradle that fits my specific phone with a charging port, so I can just drop it in and go. Modeling an arm that accommodates those mounting hole requirements shouldn't be difficult at all.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:48 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Since this is going to end up being a development journal of sorts, here's another pic. Currently printing the mock-up with the mount arm and 17mm ball (plastic, of course to gauge fitment and positioning.)
In this pic you see the ashtray plug on the left-hand side, just beginning to print the arm. Extending to the right is just temporary support material that breaks away when finished.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed! Interested to see how this works out.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:25 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

me too
Old 08-19-2017, 12:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

And me too...
Old 08-20-2017, 10:40 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Interesting....watching as well...
Old 08-21-2017, 09:08 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

One of the biggest problems to watch out for is vibration. The way the weight of the phone extends as a 'lever' against the mounting point is a problem if there's even the slightest amount of vibration. This means however the phone connects to the mount AND how the mount connects to the car REALLY have to have a solid fit. Otherwise you end up with a pendulum effect and annoying movement of the screen. This, I've learned, after countless numbers of mounts combinations in many different vehicles. My latest GTS included.

Quick Reply: Ashtray phone mount