Sponsored By:

CTT Morning Sickness

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM
spirit49
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTT Morning Sickness

Our new to us CTT seems to be a bit grumpy in the morning.

Whenever the car is cold, or have been sitting for a while, it has a pretty moderate vibrations just after being started.
The engine goes in to the higher idle, and there is almost like there is a misfire going on. By giving it a little xtra rev, the vibrations normally disappear, and the engine idle returns to normal values.

I just received my IcarSoft POR II, and the only Fault Code that I can see connected to this issue is DME P1364 "Valve lift control cylinder 5".

I deleted the fault so to see if it comes back.
Im on the road now for work, but keen on using the spare hotel time to try to figure out what could be the issue.

My initial thoughts is that the vibrations was due to a bad spark plug or coil, but I cannot see that this should only be visible for a short time while the engine is cold.
However, the spark plug has never been exchanges since the car was new(according to the service log book). 84000km(51,5'miles)

I cannot find much info on Fault code DME P13XX on the 958, but it seems that a lot of other Porsche types have had issues with Valve Solenoids.
But that figuring out how that system works is above my pay grade.

Worth mentioning is that the engine has the bad VarioCam bolts installed. Hopefully these aren't involved, as there is no recall for AH08 in Europe at this time.

Last edited by spirit49; 08-15-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Answered over on 6speedonline where you posted the same questions. DO replace your plugs - they're WAY overdue.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:20 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

With a thread title like that, I though maybe you're expecting a baby Macan to arrive soon!

Agreed, 50k miles is overdue for scheduled maintenance including the plugs. The coils aren't called out as a maintenance item, but they're still high-voltage devices encased in plastic in an extremely hot environment. Check for cracks when replacing the plugs.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:25 PM
spirit49
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The term comes from Lycoming aircraft engines.
Most of them gets "morning sickness" due to valve guides filling with carbon. Rearming the guides will fix the issue.

Our CTT has a full Porsche Service history, by the book, but the spark plug check box has never been used......

Nope. We aren't expecting (a Macan)
Old 08-15-2017, 06:16 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
With a thread title like that, I though maybe you're expecting a baby Macan to arrive soon!
Hahahaha...I was thinking the exact same thing!

Quick Reply: CTT Morning Sickness