Sponsored By:

Bluetooth issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Tony Scarpero
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth issue

Hi all. I'm new to the forums here, and just recently picked up a 2011 Cayenne S. LOVE everything about the vehicle so far except I'm having an issue with phone calls on bluetooth. I can make and receive calls fine, but the sound quality on the other end is an issue. I thought it was a one time thing, but now after a few weeks of making calls and literally everyone saying they can either barely hear me, or lots of static, or call going in and out I'm convinced there's some sort of issue. Anyone else had this and know what it may be?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Scarpero
Hi all. I'm new to the forums here, and just recently picked up a 2011 Cayenne S. LOVE everything about the vehicle so far except I'm having an issue with phone calls on bluetooth. I can make and receive calls fine, but the sound quality on the other end is an issue. I thought it was a one time thing, but now after a few weeks of making calls and literally everyone saying they can either barely hear me, or lots of static, or call going in and out I'm convinced there's some sort of issue. Anyone else had this and know what it may be?
I'm moving this to the 958 subforum - since that's what your vehicle is. I suspect most 955/957 people have no real experience to share with Bluetooth..

As far as my Bluetooth - aside from sometimes not automatically linking up (usually after I've manually shut the PCM off - or used my phone for my Cayenne diagnostics program that connects via Bluetooth) - it's worked great and most people seem surprised that I'm talking via the bluetooth system.

Hang on while I move the thread..
Old 08-10-2017, 10:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Whew - all moved!

Hi Tony, welcome to the forums.

Question - have you tried this with another phone? I seem to vaguely recall some people having difficulty with iPhone Bluetooth connections. Perhaps another phone may indicate if it's the phone or the vehicle that has an issue.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:35 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Another question, is the PCM taking over your phone in Sim emulation mode? Apparently if you have the Phone Module option (separate line item, but don't recall the option code) it will first attempt to hijack your phone's sim card over Bluetooth and use the PCM and internal antenna for making and taking calls. Unfortunately the in-car equipment either doesn't handle the same frequencies, or is just substandard compared to today's cell phones.
If this is the case, you can go through the PCM menus and change the Bluetooth connection for that device from "Sim Emulation" to "wireless handset" mode.
The acid test is to look at your phone when it is connected to Bluetooth. If it shows you have no signal (or airplane mode), the PCM has hijacked your sim.

I had to dig in and find out how to make the switch as I use my phone as a wireless hotspot for my kid's iPad. When the PCM hijacks the sim card, hotspot or any other data functions quit working.

Anyway, if that's not it - could be the thermally insulated glass(if you have that option) interfering with your cellphone signal.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:29 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No issues with calls on mine, however, when using BT for driving directions off the phone (e.g. waze) there is a huge delay before it goes back to playing music.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:42 AM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same issue. I have a samsung S8. This is the third phone I have had with this car. This is the worst it has ever been. It kinda sounds like crackling cellophane. Deleting the bluetooth profile from the car and repairing it seems to fix it for a while. I am not sure why it comes back, but it does come back.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I suspect most 955/957 people have no real experience to share with Bluetooth..
Not sure why you'd say this as the 2009 & 2010 957s have the updated PCM with touchscreen and bluetooth phone connectivity for calls (not for streaming music), like in mine, and it works fine with my LG v10 Android phone.

AGARubberDuck, can't imagine how long it took you to figure out the SIM takeover in your post, but kudos to you for doing so.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:05 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Scarpero
Make sure your air conditioner isn't blowing on high. The wind from the unit can make for a very blustery conversation
Old 08-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Tony Scarpero
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback. To answer AGARubberduck the PCM isn't hijacking the SIM card.
My issue sounds much more like what genebopp described. I'm going to try what he suggested to fix it. Hopefully that works. Short of replacing the microphone in the car I can't imagine what else it would be, and that doesn't sound like a cheap repair.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth issue