Cayenne GTS handling

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Cayenne GTS handling

I always thought my Touareg handled great. I've now owned a 2014 Cayenne GTS for a few weeks since selling the Touareg back to VW. I can say that this Cayenne goes through turns comfortably way faster than the Touareg did. As a long time Porsche owner I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I am a bit surprised at how close it is to the handling of my Spyder however.

Yesterday a guy in a Tesla challenged me in a 2 lane cloverleaf entrance to a freeway. I was at least a 1/4 mile ahead of him on exit. As is my typical habit, I slowed to just a few mph above the speed limit at that point. I was laughing as a few seconds later he caught me and buzzed past at well over 100 mph. He sure showed me. He probably was going too fast to see my bumper sticker.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 190 Posts

Welcome to the GTS club. I also replaced a Diesel Touareg with Cayenne GTS but a 2016. It's a great vehicle and big improvement over the Touareg which we also really liked. It's a nice bigger brother to the Boxster GTS.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:36 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

I remember reading somewhere... "do the numbers and you'd buy the Touareg, drive it and you'd buy the Cayenne". Had the occasion to drive them within a few days of each other and while the VW is nice, it has nothing to compare to the Porsche's handling.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:15 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 190 Posts

I bought the 2012 Touareg primarily for the diesel which Porsche didn't offer at the time. The ride and handling of the TDI exec and base Cayenne were comparable with only the V6 being offered by Porsche. Moving to the CS pushed the cost considerably. So yes agree doing the cost analysis and option compare the Touareg was the right answer. The Cayenne has improved over the years where the Touareg did not. But what I believe really sets the difference in handling is PASM and air suspension. After owning multiple allroads with air suspension I needed a break from the less than perfected technology. Porsche has vastly improved the air suspension ride and handling along with reliability. It was a must have option which is what pushed me into the GTS. This along with stupid VW having to pay out 90% of the Touareg purchase price made the CGTS a no brainer decision.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Even in comfort setting, the Cayenne is markedly less comfortable over rough road as compared to the Touareg, I presume that's the trade off for having amazing handling.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:41 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You want to have a surprising amount of fun with it? Take it to an AutoX. You'll be shocked what a properly motivated P!g can do

Even with 0 performance goodies my CD was a blast and held its own with 996s and older 911s (except the prepped ones of course). Drifting a 5500lb AWD SUV is not something you forget
Old 08-15-2017, 12:46 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

^^^ ooooooo yea .... still loving this beast on the autoX

..... and it can swim too ....

=Steve

Quick Reply: Cayenne GTS handling