Sponsored By:

FOB Close tailgate feature

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FOB Close tailgate feature

So I contacted the audiworld guy that was making the module for the q5/q7 but he couldn't be certain that it would work on the 958 then I came upon this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...612.0.0.aJuVAu

Yes it is from AliExpress which means china, but it looks pretty plug and play

Has anyone tried this?
Old 12-03-2017, 05:55 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

I picked one up last Fall and wasn't pleased with the results. The issue seems to be the KESSY (keyless entry and drive) gets confused about something else on the bus sending key commands. This eventually leads to getting the yellow 'key not present' error, even though the key is actually right there in the vehicle. If I didn't have keyless entry then it'd probably work fine.

I paid $70 for mine. However, I seem to recall the part number on mine was not the one they show in the current picture.

I'd say contact them and confirm that it will work with whatever setup you have. But given the chinglish translation hassles I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that being accurate.

Installation was pretty simple, I think I covered it in another thread here. Basically remove three screws on the bottom edge of the tailgate, two inside the triangle reflector cubby and pop loose a bunch of panel fasteners. Just be careful with the CANBUS connectors, the chinese ones were pretty fragile.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah no keyless entry and drive, so I might be okay. It just annoys me that we sometimes hit the trunk open when we are trying to lock the car and then have to walk all the way back just to close it!!

I'm always scared of Porsche electrical problems because a trip to the dealer to fix an error message can become insanely costly at any moment.

God I hate dealing with chinglish, even though, I'm Chinese.

I hope I can find on eBay so I can have eBay buyers protection.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:14 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Heh, you learn not to do that. Took me a good 3 months to stop hitting that button. Now I tend to just use the door button to lock it (as in, close it... wait a half-sec... tap the lock button on the outside handle). I've been tempted to open the remote to see about doing something like putting an o-ring underneath the membrane to make it require a firmer press. But it was easier to just train myself to not hit the button.

The aliexpress dispute mechanism usually works, especially if you'd used the portal to ask questions ahead of time. As in, "does this work" and it doesn't usually leads to a quick refund. I've had one or two purchases that got drawn out, but eventually they all got refunded.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I had Audi I went to see a guy who changed some setting (with Audi's analog of PIWIS) and I was able to close windows with remote. Cost was a 6-pack.
Porsche may have this feature too, but no one was able to hack it yet.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:13 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kirill
When I had Audi I went to see a guy who changed some setting (with Audi's analog of PIWIS) and I was able to close windows with remote. Cost was a 6-pack.
Porsche may have this feature too, but no one was able to hack it yet.
Audi shares more with VW than Porsche when it comes to vehicle computer electronics. Thus various VAG-COM hacks that work across both Audi and VW don't often work with Porsche systems. Whether that will remain true for the next gen Cayenne is an unknown at this point, but I'd assume so.

Apparently in some markets different options can be configured for some features. Don't know if hatch control via the fob is one of them.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I'd actually be happy if the button on the drivers door also closed the hatch.. I think some later year P!Gs do that - but the '11 doesn't.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:26 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'd actually be happy if the button on the drivers door also closed the hatch.. I think some later year P!Gs do that - but the '11 doesn't.
Yes, I believe the feature is available starting with the 958.2s (2015), and the Macans have it as well.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I can close the hatch from the door button on my '15 CD.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:20 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

The door button works on my '14 CD, but not on my wife's '13 CD.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

On my 2016 the button on the drivers door only opens the tailgate, does not close. A real pain especially when picking people up at the airport. Complained to the dealer. They checked a new one on the floor with same results.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:15 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

My 17 will open and close from the armrest button. The manual for the 15-16 says you have to hold the button on the armrest. The ignition has to be running, but I can't recall if it has to be in Park or not.

http://porscheownersmanuals.com/2015...rlift-tailgate

I've not been able to figure out how to bring up manuals for non-US vehicles, but would be curious to see how it works in other countries.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:04 AM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, you must press and hold the armrest button for the tailgate to close. Simply pressing it does not work.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:16 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

Just checked and yes by holding driver door button does work for closing. Thank you for the reminder as I remember this now from when they delivered the car. The nanny controls are a pain. The Touareg allowed closing of the tailgate with the FOB which was really convenient. Maybe should start a thread on the most annoying nanny controls. I was able to get the stupid tailgate beeping turned off by a nice service tech. The service writer was away otherwise I am sure it wouldn't have happened.

Quick Reply: FOB Close tailgate feature