Newbie with an question - lowering modules

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:10 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 126 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks Classba.

What's your timeline to purchase?

I was also considering the Renntech DLM V3.5, but cant seem to locate anyone else who has tried that. Looks like a neat tool since you can adjust in 1mm increments. Would buy today if I knew what I was getting, lol. May take a chance anyway if its in stock. Tired of this thing riding high with all that wheel well gap.

That's cool KW is still a option, but I just heard from one of my suppliers its up to 1 month to manufacturer. That's a little long for me.

Will be interested to hear what you find out from H&R.

I also emailed Wilhelm. Will post what I hear hear as well.

Still curious how Cargraphic fits into the picture, where they get their unit from???
Old 08-07-2017, 04:42 PM
classba
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Thanks Classba.

What's your timeline to purchase?

I was also considering the Renntech DLM V3.5, but cant seem to locate anyone else who has tried that. Looks like a neat tool since you can adjust in 1mm increments. Would buy today if I knew what I was getting, lol. May take a chance anyway if its in stock. Tired of this thing riding high with all that wheel well gap.

That's cool KW is still a option, but I just heard from one of my suppliers its up to 1 month to manufacturer. That's a little long for me.

Will be interested to hear what you find out from H&R.

I also emailed Wilhelm. Will post what I hear hear as well.

Still curious how Cargraphic fits into the picture, where they get their unit from???
I'm considering to buy any time now.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 PM
classba
Track Day

Think I have found the H&R rising/ lowering at speeds answer:

http://www.facebook.com/alloywheels....14175488623428
Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine is a 2014 CTT.Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

The Macan Forum folks lead me to believe the H&R module was a knock-off of Cargraphic Module, which cost slightly less. If you look at them online together they are eerily similar in design and functionality.

I am not sure how Wilhelm's unit fits into this now as I have never heard of them and researched this quite a bit before buying. Maybe they are the mother ship producing these??? Let me know if you can confirm as I WOULD REALLY like to also lower my CTT, but have yet to find a satisfactory solution IMO.

Prior to the Cargraphic module I first started with cheap lowering links. They were horrible, I MEAN HORRIBLE!!! The CTT would hit a pot hole and bounce, and bounce, and bounce. It was like riding in a 60’s era Lincoln, lol. Not for me.

Sorry again to say, but the Cargraphic module was poo-poo as well, maybe 10% improvement in ride quality over the links.

Maybe DZ977’s standards are less than mine, but even lowering 1 inch, yes 1 freaking inch made the car suspension ride horrid as well with the Cargraphic module. It was noticeably rough and unforgiving. Cargraphic provided nearly zero tech support and basically ignored my emails, thus I am starting to wonder who is the creator of this module??? Is it Cargraphic, H&R, Wilhelm, Other???

The thing that REALLY UPSET ME about the Cargraphic module was this.

Its advertised to raise at around 50mph+ for speed comfort, then lower automatically when your car gets under around 25 mph. I can tell you for a fact my unit didn’t do that. What it did do was raise the car about 1.5 inches above 50mph. Then, when I’d come to complete park and stop I’d get out and re-measure the wheel wells. Gained 1.5 inches in height every darn time and it didn’t re-lower. SUCKS!!! I then tried to disconnect the auto raise feature (i.e. wire) as Cargraphic told me this would disable the auto raise feature. Guess what, it didn’t, lol. Amazingly the car would still raise above 50 mph 1.5 inches and stay in the heightended state until I parked. I would then have to lower the car to loading level and reraise the car to low level to get back to where I started. COMPLETE FAIL!!!

SO, DV997 are you telling me your H&R module raises at 50mph and then relowers under 25 mph??? Have you measured to make sure that’s happening??? Interested to hear what you have to say, thanks!

Luckily I was able to return my Cargraphic module for a refund.

What I would like to try now is the TechArt module (Assuming the H&R module an Cargraphic are one in the same). Only one small, well, BIG problem. I cant find anyone near me with PIWIS (in Pittsburgh) to recalibrate the suspension. Dealerships will not help (i.e. warranty, liabilities, etc.). I’ve tried reaching out to a handful of Indy’s and no one has PIWIS that I am aware of, so open to suggestions from others as this point as the KW DLC is discontinued, right???

Really frustrating we can’t find I reasonable solution here….would appecaite others with the H&R chiming in because maybe I just got a DUD UNIT???

CLASSBA – If you endup getting a H&R OR WILHEML UNIT CAN YOU PLEASE REPORT BACK WITH YOUR FINDINGS???

I may try one of these units if they are confirmed to not just be a re-badged / branded Cargraphic or Wilhelm lowering module.

Thanks.
westsider, when in"low " mode it does not change at speed. (to the best of my knowledge ,not being able to see outside )
Old 08-07-2017, 08:51 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Originally Posted by dz997 tts
westsider, when in"low " mode it does not change at speed. (to the best of my knowledge ,not being able to see outside )

So this is odd. I got home to test my point about my ctt raising when driving. I don't have a lowering module installed now.

If I park it, lower to loading level, then back to low level ground to fender measures 31.25 inches.

I went for a quick drive and remeasured. Sob...it raises after driving to 31.75 inches??? Will not relower to 31.25 unless I go through the manual sequence above.

Maybe I should read my manual, lol...annoying this thing auto raises. Why....only .5 but more height I don't want.

Do you mind going thru this sequence to see if yours auto raises raises?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:00 PM
classba
Track Day

Westside... I have since purchased the H&R unit and should receive it early next week
Old 08-11-2017, 04:28 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Originally Posted by classba
Westside... I have since purchased the H&R unit and should receive it early next week

cool. Let us know how it goes. I decided to give it one more shot myself too and picked up a techart unit. Will post back as well once I get it in.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:49 PM
classba
Track Day

westside... OH NO not the Techart.....

I've researched into it and it's such a hassle to fit and to calibrate.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:52 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

westside... OH NO not the Techart.....

I've researched into it and it's such a hassle to fit and to calibrate.

I agree. Dealership is installing through with piwis so they can sort.

From everthing I've read folks are very happy with techart...only drawback is having to pay for the piwis calibration, unless I missed the boat here???
Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM
classba
Track Day

I agree. Dealership is installing through with piwis so they can sort.
Ok that's cool... make sure they conduct a wheel alignment afterwards as per the Techart's instruction.

Cheers
Old 08-25-2017, 10:09 AM
westsiderkg
Banned

So I finally got to the dealership to have the Techart lowering module installed.

Its only been 24 hours, but I can say already it was well worth it and much better than the cargraphic module imo, or dreaded garbage lowering links.

Its so neat to part, lock the doors, and see the CTT drop another 30 mm. Start it up, and the CTT auto raises 30 mm to drive.

More expensive than the other modules out there, but again, this feature really gives the CTT an aggressive stance when parked and worked flawlessly for me as compared to the cargraphic module, which seemed to never cooperate for my application.

Only drawback is the CTT rides a little firmer, but its manageable and a reasonable tradeoff.

Here is a parked pic for those interested. I'm not very good at taking pics and can tell those interested that it looks much better in person.

Enjoy

P.S. - Although my project is done, I'm still interested in hearing how the H&S unit install went from others as well.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2017, 10:23 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

...30 mm...

...drawback is the CTT rides a little firmer, but its manageable and a reasonable tradeoff.
For an inch lowering.. at parking... you can spend a lot of money and get a rougher ride. Clearly, everyone has their own special ways of spending money.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:29 AM
westsiderkg
Banned

Technically its 2.4 inches lower when parked.

And its not really that rough FWIW, just more road feel.

No worries, to each their own!

I get it...its a SUV for most and needs to sit high for those folks.

I prefer a sportier look however, more of a car stance.

If I want to sit atypical SUV high we take the wife's Chevy SUV.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2017, 06:55 PM
classba
Track Day

Westside.... I bought the H&R module 28945-1 which covers the 958 from 2011.

In one word... RUBBISH. Straight after install, I got a fault flagged up and the car took ages to the LOW level and refused to go into the LOAD level. The light just blinked for over 5 mins+. This was the settings straight out of the box. I raised the car by 10mm thinking it might work better but it still struggled to LOW and only reached LOAD once after minutes of blinking.

Anyway, went out for a drive and thought WTF, the car was bouncing everywhere and the ride was very firm even on the normal height and comfort.

I duly returned the unit. Maybe it will work better for the 958.1 but for my .2, it's awful and I would not recommend it.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:47 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Westside.... I bought the H&R module 28945-1 which covers the 958 from 2011.

In one word... RUBBISH. Straight after install, I got a fault flagged up and the car took ages to the LOW level and refused to go into the LOAD level. The light just blinked for over 5 mins+. This was the settings straight out of the box. I raised the car by 10mm thinking it might work better but it still struggled to LOW and only reached LOAD once after minutes of blinking.

Anyway, went out for a drive and thought WTF, the car was bouncing everywhere and the ride was very firm even on the normal height and comfort.

I duly returned the unit. Maybe it will work better for the 958.1 but for my .2, it's awful and I would not recommend it.

Thanks.

Appreciate the follow up. Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking the h&r/cargraphic unit is a pos! The other german vendor mentioned as well in this thread never returned any of my messages fwiw, lol.

Anyway go with the Techart unit. It's a quality item and well worth the upcharge and dealer recalibration on piwis 2. Drives pretty good too and WAY better than the hoppy h&r junk. More firm than anything...more sporty imo...and the locking door parking bump stop extra 30mm lowering is so cool, and provides such an aggressive stance too.

By the way, for those who don't know the Techart module is not a cheap piggyback that fools the computer like these other, less expensive systems. It replaces the factory continental lowering module entirely and is properly reprogrammed at a porsche dealership.

Best wishes and glad you could return the h&r unit.

Quick Reply: Newbie with an question - lowering modules