Sponsored By:

2012 CTT Possible Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 AM
captain911
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks RAudi Driver.
Anyone have experience in maintenance between the turbos and S's?
Just wondering what to expect.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by captain911
Thanks for the responses.
One last question...
As far as maintenance costs between the turbos and the S's, is it significant?
Greatly appreciate the assistance.
Nope. Very little difference. Service intervals remain the same except the spark plug change interval is shorter on the turbo. Not a major expense if you DIY.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:24 PM
captain911
Racer

Thanks everyone.
Pulled the trigger.
2012 CTT being shipped from Porsche of North Houston.
Will probably enjoy driving this more than the 993C2S. (Assuming my wife allows me!)
Appreciate all the assistance.

Yeah.... I know.... Pics to follow.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:21 AM
buckets
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone.
Pulled the trigger.
2012 CTT being shipped from Porsche of North Houston.
Will probably enjoy driving this more than the 993C2S. (Assuming my wife allows me!)

Yeah.... I know.... Pics to follow.
I think I used that CTT as price leverage on the 2012 CTT I bought this past weekend

Cheers!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:46 AM
captain911
Racer

Thanks for all the comments and assistance.

Pulled the trigger on this P!G.

Can't say enough good things about John Wright at Porsche of North Houston.

This is the first vehicle I have purchased from a dealership. (Most have come from Manheim and take about 35 seconds to buy.) John was outstanding and incredibly responsive to my emails.

Drove this and my 993C2S over the weekend. Totally different but love the P!G.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:29 PM
PorscheHusna
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for all the comments and assistance.

Pulled the trigger on this P!G.

Can't say enough good things about John Wright at Porsche of North Houston.

This is the first vehicle I have purchased from a dealership. (Most have come from Manheim and take about 35 seconds to buy.) John was outstanding and incredibly responsive to my emails.

Drove this and my 993C2S over the weekend. Totally different but love the P!G.
Thank you for the kind words TW, it was my pleasure and I'm glad that you had a great experience.
That P!G goes fast too!
Old 08-09-2017, 05:42 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Welcome to the ownership club of both CTT & 90's aircooled 911's Captain911!!

Your 2012 CTT sounds like a great vehicle. I can say I have loved mine for the past 2.5yrs!!

Looking forward to a few pics.

And it looks like we are not too far from each other. Does blue moon mean anything to you? .... just thinking we already know each other, since JW mentioned TW ..
=Steve
Old 08-10-2017, 11:16 AM
captain911
Racer

Thanks Steve.

I'm right up in Harford County.

Blue Moon could mean a couple things. Decent beer but great bar in Baltimore.

My initials are TW.

Will post some pics once I get it back from MD inspection.

Hope to catch up with you and the other local Rennlisters soon. Looks like there are a few in the Baltimore Metro area.

Tim
Old 08-11-2017, 03:14 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Ahh, Ok. I know another PCAer in our area with initials TW, and he has quite the collection. Blue Moon was referring to his collection (so no, not the beer or bars).

I thought maybe it was you. My mistake.

Yea, maybe we will catch each other up at the Hunt Valley C&C some Saturday morning.
=Steve
Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM
captain911
Racer

Sounds great Steve.

My "collection" is only two vehicles. Wish it was more but all good.

Hope to see you at C&C in Hunt Valley. Haven't been to it yet but hear it is a ton of fun.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:35 AM
tresean1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

The hunt may be over for my P!G.

Looking at a CPO 2012 CTT. I have received a copy of the CPO worksheet and all the service records for the vehicle from the dealer.

My concerns are the variocam bolts as the production date of the vehicle was 10/2011 and the possible transfer case issues that have been popping up. (Thanks Deilenberger for the great sticky. But scaring the **** out of me down the road.)

Am I correct in thinking that PCNA would contact me if the bolts have not been replaced due to the recall? (Assuming I purchase the vehicle.) Nothing in the service history states they have been addressed. I will be discussing with the dealer tomorrow but wanted any input from the group as well.

Also, what is the general consensus about a warranty after the CPO warranty ends?

Tim
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Wonder what the transfer-case "service" consisted of. Since it's "lifetime" fluid - nothing is called for under the service schedule. Did they replace the fluid? Did they replace the transfer case? Or are they just telling you what you want to hear?

I wouldn't expect that vehicle to be part of WC-22 since WC-22 applied to very few Cayennes in the US, probably less than 1,500 or so. The RECALL (which is NOT WC-22, although it is very similar) applies to 18,000 Cayennes and Panameras - and that's what has to be checked. You can satisfy yourself by ignoring the dealer and calling Porsche-CNA directly with the VIN#.

As far as knowing what it means to not have the center pin, I'd suggest you do some reading:

1st: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html - in particular the 3rd posting. I really can't make it clearer than that.

2nd: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...cam-bolts.html

And yes - a dealer could take a photo of it if they were so inclined. Personally I wouldn't be concerned since (1) this is a CPO - if the engine blows up Porsche will give and install a new engine for you. (2) if it has the defective bolts - and the engine blows up - Porsche will give and install a new engine for you under the terms of the recall. (3) if it has the defective bolts - and the engine doesn't blow up - the bolts (and perhaps adjusters) will be replaced under the terms of the recall.

What's to worry about?
Hi guys, sorry to resurrect a semi-dead thread. I came across this as I was searching for information on my prospective purchase. As some of you may recall, I will previously looking for a 957, but now I think I might "upgrade" to a 958 purchase.

I am eyeing three or four Cayennes, ranging from 2011 to 2013, some of them are a CPO and some of them are from third-party dealerships. In response to the issue about the transfer case and the defective bolts, how would I know if those items have been addressed--- because all three dealerships probably don't have the specific service records for the vehicles.

Is there a specific question I can ask them to see if it was addressed? Or will calling Porsche be the only means to tell me the answer in regards to both the bolts and transfer case?
Just want to make sure I am making an educated and informed purchase, and I know you guys are a very valuable source of information.

Thank you so much in advance for your insight!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:04 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by tresean1
Is there a specific question I can ask them to see if it was addressed? Or will calling Porsche be the only means to tell me the answer in regards to both the bolts and transfer case?
Just want to make sure I am making an educated and informed purchase, and I know you guys are a very valuable source of information.

Thank you so much in advance for your insight!
Did you actually read and follow the links I suggested that you quoted above? The bolts are EASY - look. It takes about 30 seconds to check. Go to a RiteAid or other big drugstore and buy a dental mirror. Find your Maglite. When you're looking at the car - it's pretty much traditional to open the hood to make certain there is an engine in there (or something like that..) no dealer will object to that. Once it's open, remove the oil filler, stick your new dental mirror in and light up the back of the sprocket by pointing your Maglite at the dental mirror. LOOK at the bolt head. Your answer is right there. If it has a pin in the center of the recess - it's a BAD BOLT - no matter what the dealer tells you. If there is no pin - it's an OK BOLT, even if the dealer can't document it.

The transfer case - craps shoot on documentation. So drive it.. if it doesn't accelerate smoothly and shift smoothly between 2-3 and 3-4 - chances are the transfer case is or will be an issue. Figure if it does shift OK and there is no documentation on it - it will need a transfer case sooner or later (if you're lucky - never - but don't count on never..) plan on spending around $3500-4000 for a new one unless Porsche decides to good-will part of it (you can only ask.. having a good dealership relationship helps in these sort of things.. the decision on good-will is pretty much made by the dealer no matter what they tell you.)

Quick Reply: 2012 CTT Possible Purchase