Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

958 cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:46 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I am in for the lighter plug also. Perhaps "print" the "12 V" in raised letters instead of the white letters compared to OEM.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:48 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck

To those looking for a phone mount option, I've started modeling a plug for the ash tray. I'll start a new thread for that when I have something to show.
Looking forward to this one as the ashtray/mystery hole is absolutely useless right now. Can't fit a phone in there and not about to put trash or other junk so a wasted space.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:29 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Been following & interested for sure. Thanks for the ingenuity!
=Steve
Old 08-15-2017, 11:24 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the interest. I've got a couple of reasonably good finishes going for these cup holders now.
1st is actually plastidip rubberized coating, which sticks ridiculously well to ABS plastic and goes on smooth. It gives it a kind-of premium feel.
2nd, the flocking fuzzy suede texture actually ended up pretty awesome, though the glue melts ABS so I have to print in PETG for that. Not a big deal, just a more finicky material to print.

a 3rd option I haven't played with yet is an acetone vapor bath for ABS that should smooth out print lines and give the print a glossy finish. This has the benefit of very easy, fast and mess-free.

Side note for those interested, I've modeled and printed a proof-of-concept replacement for the ash tray for use as a quickly-removable phone mount. I'm making a new thread and will edit this post to link to it. It's definitely in development phase and I'll be seeking input.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:27 AM
2011cayenneS
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
I do have my own model of a single cup holder now. Fits very securely and does the job it is supposed to do. 1st step in modeling a 2-in-1 sleeve.
hey hey, wanna email me this cad file,

id like to make them out of aluminum,
Old 12-01-2017, 12:16 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I am in for the lighter plug also. Perhaps "print" the "12 V" in raised letters instead of the white letters compared to OEM.
...or print the plugs in red and put the word "Eject" on them, sort of like this actual cig lighter, but just the plug...

https://goo.gl/1oMCvv

Or not. :P
Old 01-16-2018, 03:45 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Has anyone made any progress on these? Enough to put up a few sample models for sale?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 AM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I get a 12v cig lighter plug? How much for the dual cup model?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:27 PM
2011cayenneS
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 6061 aluminum

Originally Posted by EpiKAC
Has anyone made any progress on these? Enough to put up a few sample models for sale?
okay, have made them without the slots (don’t need the spring loaded fingers,

how much are cayenne owners willing to pay. Before I have 50 pairs made up ?????

reply below,
Old 01-18-2018, 05:57 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Hey everyone. This has been very far on the back burner with spinning up and operating a new business. It didn't help that my browser forgot to keep me signed in and I didn't have the motivation to go through the password reset. (Also doesn't help that my 11 turbo has a failing air spring and has been sitting unloved for a while)
Anyhow, I'm back and replying to PMs.

Side note, I'm not sure where the 12v plug idea came from, exactly. I've not modeled one up and didn't really plan to but PM me if there really is that much interest. We'll keep this thread dedicated to cup holders.

I have both single and dual sleeve units printed up. They're available in three forms:
PETG plastic in black, direct print. No finishing. This results in a shiny print, but very obvious print "striation marks" as these units print layer-by-layer.
ABS plastic in black, goes through an acetone vapor bath finishing that somewhat flattens out the print marks and leaves a relatively glossy finish.
PETG plastic in black, finished with black fiber flocking. This is basically a velvet finish that looks great, though would be pretty difficult to clean.

ABS is your typical automotive plastic and holds up well. It can be brittle, especially when printing as thin as these sleeves need to be to accommodate standard cup sizes.
PETG is the type of plastic Coke bottles are made out of. Extremely durable, even when thin, and can withstand quite a lot of abuse without shattering.

I don't know that putting pricing up is allowed, but consider it less than half of the typical price for Tequipment's inserts.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

At the risk of owning yet another cupholder insert, I'd be in for a dual PETG model. Not sure if I want the flocking though (cleaning, as you mentioned).

The dual does allow the finger springs through, correct? I find them rather useful.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 AM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Do you have any pictures of a Dual? Would be interesting to see how it sits in place if you would be willing to share a pic of that...
Old 01-18-2018, 05:08 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
At the risk of owning yet another cupholder insert, I'd be in for a dual PETG model. Not sure if I want the flocking though (cleaning, as you mentioned).

The dual does allow the finger springs through, correct? I find them rather useful.
Yes, both have the slots for the fingers. I also find it extremely useful so the whole sleeve doesn't lift out when you have an over-sized bottle wedged in there.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:09 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by epiKAC
Do you have any pictures of a Dual? Would be interesting to see how it sits in place if you would be willing to share a pic of that...
I don't have one super handy, but there is an exact pic of the unit in unfinished ABS on post #24 of this thread.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:31 PM
ckkim
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

Is anyone selling any version of the cupholders? I'm ready to purchase either the single or the dual design! Preferably from AGARubberDuck or Tom M. But if any are available, please please let me know!

Christopher

Quick Reply: 958 cup holders