Sponsored By:

Oil Level false reading

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Konrad KP
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Level false reading

I've got an issue with my 2011 3.0 TDI (958)

I get an error on the dash about oil level being at minimum regardless of how much oil is there. We actually did an oil change recently so the oil level is for sure proper, but it still shows the error. I've also replaced the oil level sensor today with an OEM one (same part number) and it still shows the issue.

It comes up even when the car is cold, never says anything about oil level not being available etc.

Any ideas? Any way to reset the oil level state?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:43 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Not that I know of... iCarScan is capable of seeing what the ECU thinks the oil level sensor is telling it, but it's not clear to me how much use that would be to you.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Konrad KP
AutoX

Are you referring to this app?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iCarScan&hl=en
Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

This won't help your problem but you can buy the VW dipstick to know what your oil level is for sure.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Konrad KP
I'm referring to: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bilediag&hl=en which is an app that goes with hardware you purchase.

Search the forum (this and the one above, and probably 6speedonline - for "icarscan" you'll get to learn all about it.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:53 AM
Konrad KP
AutoX

I just wanted to update on this. I *finally* figured it out. Probably won't help anyone BUT...
My car was in an accident in the past. The latch for the hood was replaced. There seems to be more then one version of the latch. The replacement did not have some plug on it, therefor it was not detected that the hood was lifted and thus it would never reset the oil status.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This happened to me recently after having an Indy do my oil change. I actually turned back around and called them to let them know. They freaked thinking someone left the drain plug loose or something. Poor guy was out there as I rolled up. As soon as I put car in park, oil level shot up to max.

The actual mechanic told me that the oil gauge isn’t much of a gauge. It’s either full or it’s not. A faulty sensor can cause what happened. He recommended having the dealer check it since it’s under warranty still.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:22 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
This happened to me recently after having an Indy do my oil change. I actually turned back around and called them to let them know. They freaked thinking someone left the drain plug loose or something. Poor guy was out there as I rolled up. As soon as I put car in park, oil level shot up to max.

The actual mechanic told me that the oil gauge isn’t much of a gauge. It’s either full or it’s not. A faulty sensor can cause what happened. He recommended having the dealer check it since it’s under warranty still.
The oil sensor is one of the most frustrating things on the 958. If you open the hood, it takes like 30 miles of driving to reset the oil level reading. My Indy somehow bypasses this by manually clicking the hood latch with a screwdriver before inserting the key while the hood is open so the system doesn't reset the sensor. He explained it once but honestly I can't remember the details and I always seem to forget to try whenever I mess around under there.

Also of note should be that the oil level reading on the instrument cluster is set up in increments. On the V8 models, the engine takes about 9.5 quarts of oil with a full drain and filter change. If you're one increment below the normal level, that's the equivalent of 1/4 quart. If you're two increments low, that's about half a quart of oil necessary to bring you back to the normal range.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jtakhtalian
Also of note should be that the oil level reading on the instrument cluster is set up in increments. On the V8 models, the engine takes about 9.5 quarts of oil with a full drain and filter change. If you're one increment below the normal level, that's the equivalent of 1/4 quart. If you're two increments low, that's about half a quart of oil necessary to bring you back to the normal range.
Actually - since it's a German car - the display is in CC's/ML's. One segment = 250ML of oil. Full to needing oil (4 segments) is 1 liter. It's close to a quart, but not actually a quart. And the turbo oil capacity is 10.5L (takes a bit more due to the oil lines down to the turbos..)
Old 12-21-2021, 04:18 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

The oil sensor is one of the most frustrating things on the 958. If you open the hood, it takes like 30 miles of driving to reset the oil level reading. My Indy somehow bypasses this by manually clicking the hood latch with a screwdriver before inserting the key while the hood is open so the system doesn't reset the sensor. He explained it once but honestly I can't remember the details and I always seem to forget to try whenever I mess around under there.

I changed the engine oil yesterday. Mine is 2017 Turbo. Since then, it would not read oil level. It keeps saying reading's not available. I understand it takes a full 10 qt to fill but I filled only 8.5 qt for now and was going to check level first and fill it more. If I understood you correctly, it will take more miles for it to read. Am I correct? I have driven only 15 miles since then. Please advise. Thank you.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:47 PM
Bob958S
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

After a hood open reset, if I'm not mistaken, you can check before the 30 mile range with the oil temp higher than 150F and with the key off at least 2 minutes
Old 12-21-2021, 06:42 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob958S
After a hood open reset, if I'm not mistaken, you can check before the 30 mile range with the oil temp higher than 150F and with the key off at least 2 minutes
On the way back from lunch, I passed 20 miles since oil change and it started reading the oil! This is a bit of dumb design i must say.. So you don't get to find out till you pass 20 mile mark whether you over or underfilled...

I'm not sure what year model you have but in my 2017 turbo, there is no increment values. It just shows a single bar. It's right between min and max. I guess it's about 2 bars from the max if it's same as 911. Would you say another 1/2 quart to bring it to maximum?

Quick Reply: Oil Level false reading