Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A cool dude about to own a 12" Cayenne S but I have reservations about maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:31 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A cool dude about to own a 12" Cayenne S but I have reservations about maintenance

Guys hello!

I have newly joined this forum although I am not sure if this is the correct Porsche Cayenne forum lol with tens of thousands of posts on here I hope it is lol

Little background on me is I am a huge car guy I love to mod cars I have if your interested ill show u some of my cars I have a KB1 Acura RL fully bolted on unbelievable attention to detail for keeping it clean lol (2005 RL) super sport michelins on 19s etc

I am really close to signing the papers on a 2012 Cayenne S.. has all the options I want (sport/comfort dial, air lift dial and I think axel locking dial? It also has the panoramic sunroof it has 65XXX miles with really good service record from checking ECUs/Powertrains, new valve covers, new spark plugs all done at Porsche Service.. then sold to a respected dealer with good reviews and from what ive read with reviews and my own opinion having dealing with them I can vouch for the good dealership

My question guys is how are you fellas doing with your cayennes? I am a big DIY guy I have mechanics for all different jobs too I am good pricing out parts cheap but this is a Cayenne S this is a new level of car ownership for me.

I am asking for help from anyone I understand the search function trust me I will be doing my reading tonight I am a big forum guy what I am asking of you guys is being owners of these SUVs I know the history behind porsche I know what the "emblem" represents means but I am looking beyond that and trying to see owners perspectives on buying a non certified pre owned Cayenne and just is it a reasonable car to maintain if stupid **** goes wrong im cool with that but I dont want issues where Ill be getting towed or forking out timing chain issues like the V8 Audis 4.2 were known for

Thank you to whoever sat there and read this **** lol

Dan
Old 07-05-2017, 11:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Dan:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html

I'll ask the moderator to move this over to the 958 subforum. I guess we have to make that more obvious for first time posters somehow..
Old 07-06-2017, 12:01 AM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Yeh im learning this now 958 Cayennes

I did find however that my Cayenne last month had the recall taken care of prior to sale so thats good
Manufacturer recall issued
#AH08 REPLACE FASTENING SCREWS ON CA
Old 07-06-2017, 01:42 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I doubt very much that AH08 was performed. WC-22 may have been performed, but AH08 is not in the hands of any dealers yet - so it would be difficult to have that done. The recall has been "issued" - (I assume you're finding this on CarFax or similar) - but it hasn't been DONE.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:44 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Mine has 63k miles.
Typical Porsche maintenance which is 3-4x Acura cost.

Seat cushion - replaced at 55k, 200 at Pelikan, 400 to replace at upholstery shop
Rear taillight assembly left side - 4-500, 15 min replacement job. Easy
Brake pads and rotors, 2-2500 4 wheels at dealer, half the cost DYI. Couple of write ups here.
Oil change, 250 at Indy, 3-400 at Porsche dealer.
Hope this help
Old 07-06-2017, 08:49 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Look for water pump replacement soon Need to take off underbody tray to discover sweating
Starts to fail as early as 65k.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:01 AM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Yeah I'll have to look into the water pump.. maintence doesn't seem to crazy on these Cayennes I thought I'd see weekly common issues that are costly but I haven't seen much of that on here

the car fax shows 1 owner purchased directly from Porsche Connecticut and all service records on file with no major issues I feel more comfortable searching on here before I buy this S
Old 07-06-2017, 06:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by tgavem
Look for water pump replacement soon Need to take off underbody tray to discover sweating
Starts to fail as early as 65k.
Must be the Houston temperatures. I haven't seen a rash of water pump failures reported (although I did have mine swapped out at around 65,000 just because the engine was out, belts were off and it would never be easier. Dealer did it for no charge except for the pump. Around $300.)
Old 07-06-2017, 06:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by tgavem
Mine has 63k miles.
Typical Porsche maintenance which is 3-4x Acura cost.

Seat cushion - replaced at 55k, 200 at Pelikan, 400 to replace at upholstery shop
Rear taillight assembly left side - 4-500, 15 min replacement job. Easy
Brake pads and rotors, 2-2500 4 wheels at dealer, half the cost DYI. Couple of write ups here.
Oil change, 250 at Indy, 3-400 at Porsche dealer.
Hope this help
Interesting numbers. I don't doubt them, but then mine usually only goes to the dealer for warranty/recall items.

My independent charges me $100 to change the oil, I provide oil and filter - filter from Porsche, oil from Amazon. The next filter will probably be a MANN from Amazon since that's what Porsche sold me. Oil was on sale - 2x $25/5-quart bottles of Mobil-1, 0W-40. Filter with O ring and crush ring was about $40 from the dealer. So my change at my independent was a bit less. If the mechanic is ordering and providing all the parts - they aren't going to wait for an Amazon sale to stock up for oil for you - so $250 sound fair.

I did front pads at around 65,000 miles. The old ones still had more than half the pad material on them (I didn't realize how thin the new ones were.) Found pads on Amazon - open box - $35 (TRW who owns the OE company for Porsche.) They appeared identical to the Porsche pads. Rotors were still above spec. Labor was around $150.

I haven't had to replace any upholstery or lights - I think those are an exception, not an expected maintenance item.

Wiper blades 1x/year - $50 from Amazon, $16 from China (same wipers). tires are $$$ and I haven't found a cheap source of 275/35/19's.. yet.

Costs can be kept within reason if you're a DIY sort or a web bargain hunter.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:44 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't know... a 12" car takes a good magnifying glass and some small tools to maintain really well. I think I'd pass and look for a bigger version.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:17 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

I am very happy to say I made the purcahse on a 2012 Cayenne S 64k miles with 30k almsot in options

I will post a couple pictures from the dealer website so you guys can see.. im already doing my ebay research so I can see what things liek brake pads rotors, tires are going for

I will show the car fax i have that now

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AB2A29CLA43196
Old 07-08-2017, 12:13 AM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

So I see 10 quarts of oil, brembo pads on ebay OEM for 155-180 .. Rotors around that price too a lil more for front ones.. Misc items like painted lift gate trunks no glass for 300.. OEM headlight for 330, front bumpers in good condition same.. I want to know what things cost because if I have to do something I don't want to be surprised

http://www.highlinecar.com/mobile/Ve...0-0efe17e7f902 that is the SUV
Old 07-08-2017, 01:25 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,775 Posts

^^ do not buy that car. I can see the issues from a mile away. It's not a good one.

Front bumper has already been RR. Door handle does not match the door. Tires are old and starting to chunk.

go to the Porsche preowned section and search from there.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:55 AM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
^^ do not buy that car. I can see the issues from a mile away. It's not a good one.

Front bumper has already been RR. Door handle does not match the door. Tires are old and starting to chunk.

go to the Porsche preowned section and search from there.
the CarFax on this is perfect from Day one all done at the dealer, tires I know about though and door handle it's the angle taken from the picture and what's RR? Tires have half life but I know this already I have tires for it already luckily lol

it is a 1 owner dealer serviced SUV with a clean car fax and no reported accidents unless if "RR" means something along Repalced bumper?

All do respect I don't see any flaws but when I go back to see it again Monday I will have a closer look to what any of you guys mention to have a look over I respect everyone's opinion
Old 07-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

somethings funny about this? a little difficult to understand.

Quick Reply: A cool dude about to own a 12" Cayenne S but I have reservations about maintenance