Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 06:22 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Just returning to the AH08 recall program for a second - for feedback.

Dropped in at my local dealer and they did the work quickly and promptly. Turns out the bolts in my car hadn't moved or shifted, so the work was simple for them (though they did admit that wasn't the case for all customers). Replaced everything according to the AH08 campaign and I swear the car is smoother and quieter now! Even my wife said that. Though I suspect this was due to the fact that they did quite a lot of work on the heads and most likely updated the program in the ECU. Seems more responsive, but I am pretty sure that this is perception only (and lack of volume).

Unfortunately the consistent moaning noises from the drivetrain on my car turns out to be a failing front diff again! Replaced that thing 14 months ago! Thankfully paid the money and got a genuine part from a dealer (fitted by independent) and its covered by a 2 year warranty. So just getting it sorted out now, just need to pay the labor. Once this is done, fingers crossed, everything will be running, operating and not under the cloud of a potential failure. Looking forward to some less stressful motoring!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM
fduggan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps I spoke too soon about all being well with my Cayenne. Check engine light this morning, comes on a few blocks from home after starting and letting warm for a couple minutes in the driveway.

P1362 Code. Most accurate hit on Google seems to come up as "Valve Lift Control Cylinder 4 - Large Stroke" (from an AllData diagnosis sheet found online for a 2011 Cayenne Turbo)

"Probable Causes: 1. Bar Ignition Module Faulty 2. Compression Too Low 3. Injection Valve Faulty or Borderline (Opens Too Late, Not Long Enough, Not Enough or Leaks) 4. Valve Lifter Faulty (Intake Valve Has Not Switched to the Other Lift or Has Not Switched Quickly Enough)"

If I'm correct, cylinder 4 should be the rearmost on the passenger (RH) side, so potentially unrelated in my case if they didn't have the head off that side, but an odd code to pop up.
Hi projekt-h,
I got the exact same issue (this unique P code) last week and I was wandering if you got it fixed and what was the final repair.
Is it related to this "Bad Variocam Bolts" problem?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by fduggan
Hi projekt-h,
I got the exact same issue (this unique P code) last week and I was wandering if you got it fixed and what was the final repair.
Hi Fduggan - welcome to the forums. Your question might be more answerable if we had a clue as to the year/model of your Cayenne.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:09 PM
fduggan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi Fduggan - welcome to the forums. Your question might be more answerable if we had a clue as to the year/model of your Cayenne.
Hi Deilenberger,
Sorry about the missing info.
I have a Cayenne S 958 from beginning 2012.
I bought it 3 years ago.
165000KM
And I'm in Switzerland
Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Hi Deilenberger,
Sorry about the missing info.
I have a Cayenne S 958 from beginning 2012.
I bought it 3 years ago.
165000KM
And I'm in Switzerland
OK. Your 2012 might have the bad-bolt problem. But typically when they fail the engine stops running. Easy to check for bad bolts - just go back in this thread and take a look at how. Unfortunately, I know Switzerland has not issued a mandatory "recall" for the bad bolts.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:34 AM
spirit49
Track Day

No European country has any recall on the 958 bad variocam bolts, except those VIN's from the WC-22 campaign. However that bracket of cars is small.

The local dealer I use in Austria couldn't even find the AH-08 in their computer system.
So I will hand them all the parts needed, and the AH-08 work description. Im not taking any more chances on this.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by spirit49
No European country has any recall on the 958 bad variocam bolts, except those VIN's from the WC-22 campaign. However that bracket of cars is small.

The local dealer I use in Austria couldn't even find the AH-08 in their computer system.
So I will hand them all the parts needed, and the AH-08 work description. Im not taking any more chances on this.
I'm really rather surprised that this is so. Isn't there any agency in Switzerland that is responsible for automotive safety? Do they have the power to require a manufacturer to repair unsafe cars due to design? If so - it might help if you find out how to file claims/complaints. I just poked around a bit - and couldn't find anything in Switzerland equivalent to NHTSA in the US..
Old 07-18-2018, 04:00 AM
fduggan
3rd Gear

Thanks deilenberger and spirit49 for your answers and advices.
You're right I don't know any thing similar to the NHTSA in Switzerland.
I'm going to visit my local dealer and find out how we can solve this issue (I'll talk about the WC-22 and AH-08) but I'm afraid that it will be for me.
Anyway I'll get back to this thread and update with the result.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:31 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi projekt-h,
I don't believe I ever followed up after my last comment, but that code seemed to be unrelated to the Variocam issue. If anything it may have been from the car sitting while waiting on repairs and never being driven. Likely a sticky lifter. Cleared the code and it did not come back, at least, not in the short period of time I owned the car after that.

To follow-up in general to this, I ended up trading my Cayenne in on a Subaru Outback as I had zero faith in the longevity of the motor, or the overall quality of work performed, considering they even botched the alignment that I had to wait an extra day for before they returned my car. Corporate didn't much seem to care about the letter I sent, though either through that or the emailed survey it got through to the service manager and emailed apologizing.

Even though it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and likely will ever own, the outback is so miserable and nothing else tickles my fancy in regards to something I'd be happy with owning long-term that I'm searching for another Cayenne... V6 manual or Diesel this time around.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:57 AM
Banananana
4th Gear

Default Horror struck but a decent ending

First of all, i feel morally obligated to share my story with everyone in this thread, the reason being is the fact that without being armed with the quality information provided by every single person in this thread, i would have been completely oblivious to this issue.

so, here is my story (summarized).

driving down the highway, my engine stalls with intense vibrations and a very loud misfire. Took the car to the dealer’s who charged me around 300$ for an inspection (vehicle out of warranty) and then i get a story about a damage caused to multiple parts of the engine due to “unknown” reasons. This simply didnt make sense to me, this engine was well maintained and the only problem i ever encountered with it was this catastrophic damage. I started digging into rennlist only to find more and more cases that seem to directly simulate my case. At this point, i had to ask about the recall, and apparently there was no recall on my vehicle (being a non-american specs vehicle).

I began to dig deeper and deeper into the recall and i hit the jackpot when i found the part number ending with 21 is the bad camshaft actuator, and after a simple inspection (they wanted to charge me a huge amount just for further assessment)
i found that my actuator was one of THOSE. Keeping in mind that later i would find that the production date was whithin the recalled range.

After sharing all the documents, proof, and being persistent. I was able to reach a settlement that basically reduced my bill From 13,000 to 1000.

Thanks everyone and drive safe.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:00 AM
spirit49
Track Day

there was no recall on my vehicle (being a non-american specs vehicle)
Where are you located?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Banananana
4th Gear

Where are you located?

Well, there was no recall in my region. The moral of the story is arm yourself with information and keep pushing them, especially if you got the part number, which i guess they will try to hide.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:19 AM
spirit49
Track Day

Lets ask like this then:

US or Europe??

If you managed to get through with your claim in Europe, its a big door opener for the rest of us.

By the way, the -21 Variocam adjuster is not the issue, its the bolts used in it in the described time period.
If the bolts are still intact, AH-08 calls only for changing the bolts themselves. If any bolts have backed out, or broken off, the adjuster must be changed with the newer version (-21 not more supplied)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:29 AM
Banananana
4th Gear

Lets ask like this then:

US or Europe??

If you managed to get through with your claim in Europe, its a big door opener for the rest of us.

By the way, the -21 Variocam adjuster is not the issue, its the bolts used in it in the described time period.
If the bolts are still intact, AH-08 calls only for changing the bolts themselves. If any bolts have backed out, or broken off, the adjuster must be changed with the newer version (-21 not more supplied)
i guess i didnt give enough details regarding the issue. So, the driver side actuator bolts were all sheered off, while the passenger side was beggining to show some signs. I am not located in europe nor NA, but the settlement was reached through AG.

Isnt there a protection for cosumers regarding such cases in europe, like the NHTSA or consumer protection of some sort?

Old 09-03-2018, 06:39 AM
spirit49
Track Day

Isnt there a protection for cosumers regarding such cases in europe, like the NHTSA or consumer protection of some sort?
NONE.

Then all the Cayenne Turbos made for the European market "is different from the rest of the world." True words.

Im done with their bull****, and doing mostly my own maintenance now. Except timing it.
They just hate people that dont just pay the price they are asking.
DIY'ers are frown upon in the dealership.

And their workshop manuals normally starts with:

1. REMOVE ENGINE

So the aft coolant pipe that I fixed this weekend (I could just pull the last 2mm out by hand), should have cost 8000€ to fix at the dealership.
It cost me 12€ and a couple of hours to fix (remove HPFP).

This car would have ruined me if I wasnt a bit internet savvy and have 2 working hands.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts