Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

IF YOU'RE THINKING OF BUYING A 958 - READ THIS FIRST!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by dushash
Thank you very much!

P.S. A side question: what color suits 958 best?
Whatever color you buy. That's a subjective thing, not open to debate really.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:33 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-exterior.html
Old 07-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Trypt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering getting a 2013 Cayenne S Hybrid V6, not that I don't wanna get a V8, it's just I'm living in Thailand and don't have many options... Mostly V6 in Thailand.

I've read thru this post, and also flipped over almost 10 pages of the 958 forum, not many posts about the 2012-2014 S Hybrid V6, guess it's just not that popular around...

Any particular issues I should be noticed about when shop for a S Hybrid V6? I'll test drive the PIG hard for at least 15min to check the "Fault Hybrid System" for sure, and check if the battery is overheated... Anything else?

Thank you all~
Old 07-26-2017, 02:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Default Should I buy an extended warranty - and what about CPO?

From another thread..

Originally Posted by chsu74
So warranty covers dealership retail pricing. No different than going to the dealer and paying. DIY is different.
That's the warranty-bet. You're betting the car is a POS and is going to require repairs in excess of the cost of the warranty (if the warranty company actually pays - which they don't always do..) The warranty company is betting that they know the repair costs of the vehicle they're covering (they have the numbers so good chance they do) and they can charge you more for the warranty then you'll collect from them. And that's not even considering that warranties have ~100% markup when sold through a dealer/agent - it's a big profit item for a dealer selling them.

Who do you think wins that bet? If the warranty company bets wrong too many times, then someone is fired, and eventually the company goes belly up leaving you with a worthless policy.

That's why I wouldn't add a suggestion to buy a warranty to the buyers guide to 958's. It's different with CPO. The cost vs coverage is reasonable (figure the CPO adds $2-3k to the price of the vehicle) - since Porsche basically provides you with a new car warranty for the term of the CPO. I would add the suggestion that a CPO car is worth more than a non-CPO car when you're looking at used Cayennes (and almost any other German car.)

If you've saved "thousands" on repairs via an extended warranty - compare that to the buy-in cost of the warranty. Chances are you haven't broken even.

My experience with extended warranties is mixed:
  • '87 BMW 535i - cost the warranty company about $10,000. Cost of the warranty to me - about $1,500 (it was a long time ago..) My bet paid off.
  • '91 BMW 525i - cost the warranty company about $1,800. The warranty cost me about $1,800 - a wash. Broke even.
  • '07 BMW R1200R (motorcycle) - cost the warranty company about $100. Cost of the warranty to me was around $350 - so that was a bad bet.
  • '11 Cayenne CTT - so far hasn't cost the warranty company anything. It's a long term warranty (5 years/100k miles) - cost was around $2,700. The game is still in play here - so no idea if it was a good or bad bet.

And on the CPO side:
  • '03 BMW 525iT - CPO eventually paid out about $2k in repairs. OK deal since it about matched the cost of the CPO when I purchased the vehicle.
  • '06 Cayenne /S - CPO paid out about $6,000 in repairs. That one was wonderful since I didn't pay for the CPO, it came with the vehicle, a former owner had paid for it and there was no additional charge for it.
  • '11 Lexus RX-350 - CPO paid for R&R of the engine to fix an oil leak (bad timing chain cover gasket) - no idea of the cost to Lexus, but had to be in the $2-3,000 range. Cost to me for the CPO - probably about $2k. It appears that one has been a wash (and it's now expired..)

So far - CPO seems the winner.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:03 AM
oneof5
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

Wanted to say thanks to all who contributed input to this thread. I just purchased my first (958.1)Cayenne, a one owner '11 three pedal V6. Mileage is a bit high but all records are provided and regular service was completed. Its good to be back with 3 pedals!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:24 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great timely thread. Is the 2015 turbo a 958 with the similar issues? So far I'm reading about the transfer cases and drains clogging?
Old 11-28-2017, 12:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by nota_troll
Great timely thread. Is the 2015 turbo a 958 with the similar issues? So far I'm reading about the transfer cases and drains clogging?
Yes....
Old 12-23-2017, 09:49 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a summary of what changes happened with each model year? From what I understand 11s and 12s are about the same, with some minor design changes (e.g. position of locking buttons) for 13s and 14s.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 PM
scorleo
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 958 2012 model V6 but I don't see any of the coolant issue reported in this thread. We had a pump failure I think in 2014 and we didn't catch it until just a month away from 4 yr manufacture's warranty expiration, we got lucky last time and the Porsche service center replaced it free but we have once again coolant leakage and I'm not sure if it's the same pump issue or one of the pipes described under 955/957. If it's a pump then I think the dealer will replace it free because it's under 24 month warranty period but I want to do some research before taking to the dealer. Any thoughts of known issue with coolant pipes like in 955/957?

Last edited by scorleo; 01-03-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:01 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by scorleo
We have 958 2012 model V6 but I don't see any of the coolant issue reported in this thread. We had a pump failure I think in 2014 and we didn't catch it until just a month away from 4 yr manufacture's warranty expiration, we got lucky last time and the Porsche service center replaced it free but we have once again coolant leakage and I'm not sure if it's the same pump issue or one of the pipes described under 955/957. If it's a pump then I think the dealer will replace it free because it's under 24 month warranty period but I want to do some research before taking to the dealer. Any thoughts of known issue with coolant pipes like in 955/957?
It's not clear to me exactly what you're asking. If you're asking if your 2012 V6 has a potential cooling problem involving plastic pipes like the 955 vehicles did - the answer is NO.. Not an issue. And not an issue on 957 series either. And that pipe issue was only on the V8 955 engines. You mention a leak - has a mechanic looked at it yet? Are you capable of diagnosing it yourself? Leaks are not common on the 958 series vehicles with the exception of a glued in fitting on the rear of the cooling bridge between cylinder heads on the early V8 engine 958 vehicles .See what a mechanic says and let us know in a normal thread to the forum. The stickies are not for general discussions such as this - and I'm actually surprised I hadn't closed this one already.
The following users liked this post:
DJM (03-16-2021)
Old 02-22-2019, 06:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

A bit of an update on this thread - it's V8 specific from 2011 to 2014: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...pipe-glue.html

The two big pipes going to the thermostat housing on the front of the engine are glued in. There have been incidences of them coming unglued. The housing and pipes are quite reasonably priced (for Porsche parts) around $350.. but the labor - lets say, the cooling system has to be drained, the water pump removed (which involves removing the serpentine belt), the intake manifold has to be removed, finally, the housing can be removed. The thermostat and water pump can be reused provided all new seals are installed. It might seem wise to replace the water pump, thermostat, and idler pullies on the serpentine drive system if they have more than 50,000 miles or so on them. Adding those parts into the mix can bump this up to a $2000 job at a dealer, less as DIY.

You can't actually see the coolant pipe junctions without a fiber-optic camera of some type, or removal of the throttle-body. Mine showed one pipe had moved about 1/2", but no real leaking was occurring and when removed (and replaced) the pipe seemed quite secure. The new housing has pipes that are now bolted in - so it should last about forever. Starting in 2015 Porsche started using this design on engines from the factory.
The following 2 users liked this post by deilenberger:
cbracerx (10-31-2019), krombacher (07-24-2020)

Quick Reply: IF YOU'RE THINKING OF BUYING A 958 - READ THIS FIRST!