Series II
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Old 04-29-2019, 07:20 PM
deilenberger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376 View Post
One is Active (base, S, GTS, Turbo, TurboS), one is Torsen-C (hybrid, Diesel).
I'm just making a WAG - that the one with ATC in the part number is the active one..
Old 05-03-2019, 05:00 PM
dbonds
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default More transfer case data

I purchased a 2016 Cayenne S a month or so ago with ~55k miles on it. I didn't notice it during a test drive or the first couple of weeks that I had it, but I've recently (past 500 miles or so) noticed a distinct slipping/lurching starting from a stop or accelerating from slow speeds - classic transfer case problems from everything I've read on this thread.

During this same timeframe, I was finally able to obtain the service records from the dealer that had serviced my Cayenne prior to my purchase under the prior owner. Turns out the transfer case had already been replaced once under warranty in early 2017 with 23k miles on it.

I wanted to try the fluid swap with friction modifier that has been somewhat successful with others before going in for a replacement as just completed that earlier today using Ravenol with LubeGard. Old fluid (keep in mind, with roughly 2 years and 34k on it) came out black (pictures below, with comparison of sample of new fluid w Lubegard). Thanks to "Rennmaschine" for this combo suggestion earlier in this thread.

Since the fluid change, I've driven about 25 miles across a couple of trips today and haven't been able to detect any slippage/unusual noise, so I'm "cautiously optimistic" at this point. ;-) Current plan is to run this existing fluid for a month or two (1-2k, similar to what others have done before me) and if the problem does NOT return/resurface, then swap it out for OEM Porsche fluid + LubeGard and go to a schedule of a transfer case fluid change every other oil change.

Ravenol + LubeGard fluid change

Sample of new fluid and lubegard

Older fluid removed from transfer case.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Quadcammer
Super User

is there any friction modifier that people prefer? I can order the ford one on amazon. That seem to do the job?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Tom M
User

Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
is there any friction modifier that people prefer? I can order the ford one on amazon. That seem to do the job?
I just swapped out my Ravenol fluid with ~20K on it for Porsche fluid + Ford friction modifier. I haven't noticed any big changes after 4 days but it *might* be slightly smoother. The biggest difference was when I swapped the factory fill @ ~80K for the Ravenol and noticed a marked improvement in shifts. I left both the TC fluid and the friction modifier to warm in the sun before I dumped the modifier in and shook thoroughly to mix things up before using it to refill the TC.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:08 PM
skinnytirez
User

Submit the used oil to blacksone labs and post the results in the thread i started.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...sfer-case.html
Old 05-14-2019, 03:44 PM
jayi836
User

Just changed my fluid after 15K the slight shudder returned when making tight turns.
Used the Porsche 63 fluid and 2 oz of friction modifier.

No odor just dark color.

Original XC
Old 05-14-2019, 04:49 PM
deilenberger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayi836 View Post
Just changed my fluid after 15K the slight shudder returned when making tight turns.
Used the Porsche 63 fluid and 2 oz of friction modifier.

No odor just dark color.

Original XC
Old 05-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Quadcammer
Super User

I added the friction modifier to my TC. I should note my fluid was pretty dirty after about 1000 miles so I'm not sure if my clutch disks are just massively worn. Anyway, seems slightly better, but still some minor annoyances here and there.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:17 PM
bgrpph
User

i've a '16 cayenne base CPO with 20kmiles (orig TC) still under factory warr for few months, then 2 yr CPO- bought car earlier this yr- complained of TC issues- very slight jerky feeling while driving slowly- was driving me nuts- porsche said TC was fine no issues- its wife car but didn't like the jerky feeling at all- just changed TC oil using Ravenol & 2oz of Lubeguard- only drove it few miles so far but feel nice & smooth now- wonderful-
Also did same TC oil chg Ravenol & 2oz Lubeguard in my new to me earlier this yr '15 Cayenne Turbo w 31k miles- (orig TC) it had a very slight jerky feeling while driving slow /shifting but was not as pronounced as the '16 Cayenne Base- after TC oil chg its nice & smooth- This is such an easy change, esp with the Ravenol can with internal spout. i'll be doing it regularly every 10k miles or so. Thanks to all folks on RL. Great advice.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 PM
twodollardoug
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just changed my TC case fluid today. I'm on a 5k interval along with the engine oil and filter. We don't have any warranty or aftermarket warranty on our 2012 CTT. So I am taking the better safe than sorry approach. So the fluid had 5k miles on it this time and looked real good. No burn smell to it. I am also reusing my plugs. I just clean them up real well and give them a smear of yamabond. I don't torque them either. I put them in snug then a quarter turn. The yamabond glues them in so I have no worry about them falling out. See you in 5k.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:20 AM
porschedad_73
User

Just got the TC replaced under warranty for my 2015 CS. Will definitely perform this TC fluid change every 10k miles. Can you guys tell me if this is the correct genuine Porsche TC fluid and plugs for my year and model and whether this is a fair price?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95530111501.html (Plugs)

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUTRAN.html (Porsche TC Fluid)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:29 AM
porschedad_73
User

Originally Posted by twodollardoug View Post
I just changed my TC case fluid today. I'm on a 5k interval along with the engine oil and filter. We don't have any warranty or aftermarket warranty on our 2012 CTT. So I am taking the better safe than sorry approach. So the fluid had 5k miles on it this time and looked real good. No burn smell to it. I am also reusing my plugs. I just clean them up real well and give them a smear of yamabond. I don't torque them either. I put them in snug then a quarter turn. The yamabond glues them in so I have no worry about them falling out. See you in 5k.
Which grade of Yamabond did you use? I see 4, 5, and 7 on Amazon.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Quadcammer
Super User

A little ultrablack RTV available at any parts store will do the job just fine
Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Tom M
User

Originally Posted by porschedad_73 View Post
Just got the TC replaced under warranty for my 2015 CS. Will definitely perform this TC fluid change every 10k miles. Can you guys tell me if this is the correct genuine Porsche TC fluid and plugs for my year and model and whether this is a fair price?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95530111501.html (Plugs)

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUTRAN.html (Porsche TC Fluid)
Looks to be correct but there's no need to buy new plugs each time. Just clean them up and apply new sealant. I used some spray cleaner and a wire brush to get the old sealant off mine and then applied
Permatex 59214 High Temperature Thread Sealant Permatex 59214 High Temperature Thread Sealant
. A small tube will last a very long time as very little is used. Be sure to not over torque the plugs when installing them or you'll crack the case as they're tapered.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:44 AM
twodollardoug
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschedad_73 View Post
Which grade of Yamabond did you use? I see 4, 5, and 7 on Amazon.
Yamabond 4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer case

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: