PTV and PDCC tell tale signs on 958? S GTS Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:23 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeMD
I've tried every link on that thread on my iPad, and either it requests a username/password, leads to a blank page, or is a dead link with the exception of the vindecoderz.com. But if you have a working link directly from Porsche, thats great... please share
It is a bit finicky at times... but generally just copy the link to your browser window and replace the vin. Make sure you are using the link later in the thread.

Happy to help if you need it- shoot me a PM if you can't get it to work and I can walk you through it.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 03-15-2017, 06:33 PM
BladeMD
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
It is a bit finicky at times... but generally just copy the link to your browser window and replace the vin. Make sure you are using the link later in the thread.

Happy to help if you need it- shoot me a PM if you can't get it to work and I can walk you through it.

Cheers,
TomF
I tried the copy/paste VIN to the link mentioned in that thread on my iPad and iPhone, but only got blank pages.... perhaps it has something to do with the iOS browsers vs a desk/laptop?

With vindecoderz it's easy to get the build sheet info, but since I've not seen the Porsche links work, I can't say if it's all the same info or better from Porsche.

Back to the topic (again)....

For those that have driven with the pdcc and without it, can you tell the difference in performance in daily driving, or is it more something that will only be felt on the track or mountain twisties?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:20 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Back to the topic (again)....

For those that have driven with the pdcc and without it, can you tell the difference in performance in daily driving, or is it more something that will only be felt on the track or mountain twisties?
I have pushed the GTS quiet a bit now, over same roads and favorite bends that I drive with my Cayman S, and although I am sure the PDCC adds an extra level to the PASM suspension, I can't say without question that not having PDCC does not leave me wanting more..

lets remember one basic thing, we are talking about a 4600+ pound truck with a high center of gravity... no amount of suspension or electronic is going to make you forget that, especially if you also own a proper sports car to compare to.. but , for a truck of this size and weight, it is remarkable how well the truck handles, how communicative the chassis is. I have had the rear come around on me on 50+ MPH bends and it was totally controllable and rewarding.

I have pushed the car as much as I feel I should on public roads, and there is almost no body roll and chassis flex (with Sport + PASM + lowered suspension)

I can see why this car is admired, if I didn't have a proper sports car to compare to, I would think this car handles like a sports car..and in many ways, it does...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:55 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

On one of the best mountain roads in Washington, and loaded up with three large buddies and large dog, my 2008 CTT with PDCC was an absolute delight in the curves. The the cornering flatness and the amount of grip defies logic. FYI, I always up my tire pressure for the load per Porsche's recs. My 2009 CTTS is even better, with bigger brakes, slightly thicker a-arms and HP and torque by the bucketload.

Besides the cornering, the PDCC makes the suspension feel less harsh over rougher surfaces as opposed to the harsh feel you get with stiffer sway bars. The ride is much more pleasant. When my PDCC line gave out yesterday, I had the opportunity to limp a block to the garage without the PDCC and I certainly felt the road a lot more.

I would never own a Panamera or a Cayenne without PDCC. A 911 is another story... and I'd really have to do some soul-searching on that question.

Having owned five 911s, from MYs 1979-2000, I can say that the Cayenne Turbo with PDCC is real pleasure to drive. This comes from a Porsche-phile who pooh-poohed the Cayenne for many years as absolute blasphemy.

IMHO, getting one without PDCC would be a mistake.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I tried the copy/paste VIN to the link mentioned in that thread on my iPad and iPhone, but only got blank pages.... perhaps it has something to do with the iOS browsers vs a desk/laptop?

With vindecoderz it's easy to get the build sheet info, but since I've not seen the Porsche links work, I can't say if it's all the same info or better from Porsche.
A few of the VIN decoders are fussy - they want capital letters in the VIN - they won't work with lower case letters.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:39 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
On one of the best mountain roads in Washington, and loaded up with three large buddies and large dog, my 2008 CTT with PDCC was an absolute delight in the curves. The the cornering flatness and the amount of grip defies logic. FYI, I always up my tire pressure for the load per Porsche's recs. My 2009 CTTS is even better, with bigger brakes, slightly thicker a-arms and HP and torque by the bucketload.

Besides the cornering, the PDCC makes the suspension feel less harsh over rougher surfaces as opposed to the harsh feel you get with stiffer sway bars. The ride is much more pleasant. When my PDCC line gave out yesterday, I had the opportunity to limp a block to the garage without the PDCC and I certainly felt the road a lot more.

I would never own a Panamera or a Cayenne without PDCC. A 911 is another story... and I'd really have to do some soul-searching on that question.

Having owned five 911s, from MYs 1979-2000, I can say that the Cayenne Turbo with PDCC is real pleasure to drive. This comes from a Porsche-phile who pooh-poohed the Cayenne for many years as absolute blasphemy.

IMHO, getting one without PDCC would be a mistake.

Cheers,
TomF

From what I have read and been told by folks who have owned both 957 GTS/TT and 958 GTS/TT, PDCC was a lot more "obvious" in the 957 than it is in 958. I would still love to have it, and I have not driven a 958 fitted with PDCC...

A sales person I have known for years, been selling Porsches since 2001, assures me PDCC on 958 wasnt as profound an upgrade as it was on the 957, he claims lighter chassis (by over 400 lbs) and improved PASM play a role.. and claims thats the reason far fewer GTS/TT were equipped with PDCC (958) than in 957
again, just going by what I have been told..

Quick Reply: PTV and PDCC tell tale signs on 958? S GTS Turbo