Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Great, Good, Fair, or keep looking kind of deal?

Old 03-08-2017, 04:06 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great, Good, Fair, or keep looking kind of deal?

2012 cayenne turbo. 48k miles, color and options I want, 55k no cpo.. What say you? No aluminum bolts, that's been checked!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't know about if it is a good deal or not price-wise but with regards to the " . . . color and options. . . "-you want:

My last three used vehicles have been dark blue, black and dark blue.

I finally got the exterior and interior color I wanted along with the options I wanted in the 2016 CD I got 02/25/2017 and nothing more. In a way I didn't care about the cost as it is hard finding the perfect vehicle. Sometimes it is not worth trying to chisel any more out of the deal rather, pay and be happy.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:08 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I guess my real question is would you buy one of these without a cpo warranty?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Is it at a dealer? If so, see if you can get them to CPO it.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
Thanks, I guess my real question is would you buy one of these without a cpo warranty?
Myself, I wouldn't own one of these without a solid warranty. In the past year my warranty has paid for roughly $10k in dealer repairs on my 958 CTT that would have otherwise been on my tab.

Your comfort zone/tolerance may vary. Keep in mind that with these vehicles it doesn't necessarily take much to have a couple repairs far exceed the cost of the warranty.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Depends.

If you have cash reserves, then you can self-insure. If not, you are better buying insurance.

A CPO is just an insurance policy that the dealer buys and adds on to their cost sheet (whether you see it on the balance sheet or not).

The CPO also is a form of pre-purchase inspection, too. The dealer goes through a checklist of tests and inspections. If something fails it is corrected.

If you have the cash reserves, then simply have the vehicle pre-purchase inspection done at an independent shop or dealer. Any laundry list of faults can be used as part of the final negotiations or you can just walk.

So, the answer to your question is really about how prepared you are about mitigating potential liabilities if something goes wrong. What's the plan if something fails or how much money can you afford to lose if something goes catastrophically wrong?

It's a form of investment and you need to be honest with yourself.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM
termite01
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

"It's a form of investment and you need to be honest with yourself"

That may be true but the actuarial is pretty uncertain with these cars. My 2011 CTT is a case in point. It was CPO when I bought it with 30k miles on it. Shortly thereafter, it ate its transfer case and PTV diff. Neither fault would have shown up in a pre-purchase inspection when it was originally CPO'ed. In hindsight, we now know that these faults are popping up with some regularity, but I am willing to wager that when the car was CPO'ed, the incidence of failure was pretty low. Had I been forced to pay that tab, it would have been close to $10k. While it is generally true that extended warranties are simply insurance based on someone's actuarial, that history may not be well developed enough when you are talking about the CTT, as opposed to all Cayennes. I admit to not being brave enough and bought an extended warranty from the dealer for when the CPO runs out at the end of the month.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:40 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Check KBB.com (kelly blue book) to find the price range for your vehicle... they show retail sale (used car dealer price), private sale, and trade-in price. You have to enter options, color, mileage, etc. to get your quote. The questions aren't extensive, but good enough to get an idea unless the car has $100,000 of custom Porsche options like special leather color and leather covering every item in the interior from sun visors to trim around door handles. Another source for car prices, TrueCar.com, tells you prices being paid in your local area for similar cars which only works well if you are near a large urban area as you are. We paid about $1100 over KBB dealer price for our Cayenne, but everything about it was "perfect" even down to zero stone chips and zero scrapes on wheels, new tires/brakes all around (obvious from condition of rotors and cleanness of everything around the brakes (like it had been disassembled and cleaned to as-new appearance, even the backs of the calipers looked nearly new)... even on a lift, the whole chassis looked new with just a few places with ANY evidence the vehicle had been driven much. I knew the KBB and TrueCar numbers before looking at the vehicle so I didn't have any issues paying a small premium over those numbers based on how perfect the vehicle was with all services performed by the dealer I bought it from... a dealer selling mostly Porsche, Audi, BMW, and other enthusiast cars/SUVs... and a reputation for fair prices and no-dickering. So the book prices are a guide to help you determine whether the price being asked is appropriate or not. You can only tell by inspecting the car yourself or paying someone to do something more comprehensive like the CPO inspection.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:36 PM
webridges
Track Day

For comparison, last summer I purchased a '12 CTT with 45K miles for $56K from Carmax. I also purchased their extended warranty for an additional $5K (up to 5yr/125K miles). Didn't have PDCC, but had many of the other options I was interested in. So the price seems fairly inline with what I experienced back in July. There may be some wiggle room in the price; unfortunately, I didn't have that option since it was Carmax. I don't have any regrets (yet) with my deal or Cayenne!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:01 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,955 Likes on 933 Posts

Seems like a decent deal BUT any decent exclusionary warranty will cost you between $7000-$10,000 (I am talking rock solid ones like Zurich or Fidelity)

So unless you have enough cash in hand to drop $7000-$9000 on a transfer case etc (or worse, $30,000 for an engine) I will say dont buy ones of these without proper exclusionary coverage)
Secondly, prices have been very strange recently.

I have been watching them for about 90 days now, I saw CARMAX post 2 '13='14 GTS for $46,999 only to pull the AD (I thought they got sold) and repost the car for $41,999-$52,999... in a matter of 2 weeks

if you are going for warranty, i prefer Zurich/Fidelity/Allstate over CPO.. Although Porsche buys Fidelity warranty and passes it on to customers as CPO, the coverage expires after just 2 years and you are left with no coverage just when you need one.
Shop for a car at a reputable dealer who is willing to sell a rock solid warranty. None of those mom-n-pop stores selling "premier care" no name warranty.

good luck
Old 03-09-2017, 08:57 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

What gives with the transfer case? Are they time bombs? How many miles are they good for? Do I have to baby the car? My 04 has been very solid. Only coolant pipes, a fuel pump, and head light flicker. Very Happy for 136k on the clock. But man I love the interior on the 958!!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:36 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
What gives with the transfer case? Are they time bombs? How many miles are they good for? Do I have to baby the car? My 04 has been very solid. Only coolant pipes, a fuel pump, and head light flicker. Very Happy for 136k on the clock. But man I love the interior on the 958!!
The frequency of transfer case failures in all 958 series (.1 & .2) seems to be on the rise according to instances I've read about online, and according to the volume my dealer has seen over the past several months.

My own experience with my '11 CTT has been that it had it's first replacement at around 32k miles, and just had a second one installed at 61k miles. All of the software campaigns related to driveline issues have been applied too.

I've been told by my dealer SA that the new transfer case installed is an enhanced version now available, but I don't know the details beyond that. So we'll see how it goes with this one over time. Mine is still at the dealer awaiting a new instrument cluster to arrive from Germany, so I haven't yet driven it with the new T case.

So again, strongly recommend a solid dealer-procured warranty with whatever 958 you decide to purchase.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:13 PM
BladeMD
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The Manheim wholesale on that is $42k....you have a shload of negotiation room. I'd push for $46-48k. If you REALLY want it, maybe anothe $1k more.

Is this from a Porsche dealer, private sale, or bargain lot dealer?
Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Private party.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:20 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Private party. Best price I've found for what I want. 128k sticker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great, Good, Fair, or keep looking kind of deal?