Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

958.2 Turbo S - smoking on start-up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 958.2 Turbo S - smoking on start-up?

Hey guys....

Out of the blue...the last two days... my Cayenne is smoking on start-up. And quite a bit of smoke! I haven't actually driven it to see if it persists....but I don't think it does.

Has anyone heard or experienced this before?

I'm going in to the dealer on Saturday but wanted to see what the RL community has to say as well.

Thank you.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:12 AM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
Hey guys....

Out of the blue...the last two days... my Cayenne is smoking on start-up. And quite a bit of smoke! I haven't actually driven it to see if it persists....but I don't think it does.

Has anyone heard or experienced this before?

I'm going in to the dealer on Saturday but wanted to see what the RL community has to say as well.

Thank you.
What color is the smoke?
Old 12-02-2016, 09:16 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Torre
What color is the smoke?
That's the key. White often means anti-freeze is getting into the combustion chamber, typically meaning a bad head gasket or cracks. Blue usually means oil. If it happens more (or only) right after starting from sitting for a while issues like leak-down past valve guides come to mind. Blue smoke of the time can mean piston rings. Black smoke comes from excessive fuel due to failed injectors or other fuel system problems.

How many miles on the engine? And you're talking about a gasoline engine, right?
Old 12-04-2016, 03:57 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wkearney99
That's the key. White often means anti-freeze is getting into the combustion chamber, typically meaning a bad head gasket or cracks. Blue usually means oil. If it happens more (or only) right after starting from sitting for a while issues like leak-down past valve guides come to mind. Blue smoke of the time can mean piston rings. Black smoke comes from excessive fuel due to failed injectors or other fuel system problems.

How many miles on the engine? And you're talking about a gasoline engine, right?
Hey guys. Sorry for delay here. Smoke was blue. And only happened twice. It's since stopped ????????

I was told by a friend that the passenger side tailpipes were smoking more.

Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:47 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Blue often means oil. One side vs the other means the trouble on the side that's emitting the smoke. Any service done lately? Or any other symptoms of problems?

What does the TFT gauge Vehicle menu say for your oil level?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:41 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Blue often means oil. One side vs the other means the trouble on the side that's emitting the smoke. Any service done lately? Or any other symptoms of problems?

What does the TFT gauge Vehicle menu say for your oil level?
Yes, agreed and understood regarding blue smoke is indicative of oil. No services, no symptoms, TFT states oil is in the green.

So it's very strange
Old 12-05-2016, 02:16 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Before people get you all spun up about that your rings are failing, yada yada...

Keep in mind that oil will pool in the charge system as these cars don't have catch cans. I found that the longer my 08 CTT sat, the more smoke on startup, although it depended on a bunch of factors, including air temp, driving, ect... It also could be dependent on the oil and visocsity that you run. Don't panic and make notes of when it happens. Unless you are running excessive boost, and then all bets are off! ;-)

Cheers,
TomF
Old 12-05-2016, 06:45 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I used a catch can on my Jeep's Hemi, worked well. Do the 958 engines support/need one?
Old 12-07-2016, 02:10 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TomF
Before people get you all spun up about that your rings are failing, yada yada...

Keep in mind that oil will pool in the charge system as these cars don't have catch cans. I found that the longer my 08 CTT sat, the more smoke on startup, although it depended on a bunch of factors, including air temp, driving, ect... It also could be dependent on the oil and visocsity that you run. Don't panic and make notes of when it happens. Unless you are running excessive boost, and then all bets are off! ;-)

Cheers,
TomF
I'm pretty good at not worrying about something until there's actually something to worry about. especially when I'm still under warranty and have a fabulous relationship with all the heads of departments at my dealer.

My tech (lead tech was 'assigned' to me) THINKS it could be the fuel pump starting to go. He's apparently seen this before. And it's accompanied by longer starting cycles. Which I've noticed a few times in recent weeks. So we'll replace it and keep an eye.
Also to note- the oil level was spot on and looked good to go.

I used a catch can on my Jeep's Hemi, worked well. Do the 958 engines support/need one?
I also had one on my 2010 Jeep SRT8.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:18 AM
Daniel spain
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue smoke starting up

Hello, did you solve the problem.
i have exactly the same, blue smoke when starting, only when the car is parked for three days or more.
and more smoke in the passengers pipe , this happens only for a few seconds.
the smoke is clearly oil burned, it smelts.
i live in Spain the Mediterranean coast so no cold temperatures when starting.
i don’t think there is any relationship with the fuel pump
sorry about my english
andcthank you in advance for the answers
Old 04-20-2019, 01:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Moving this thread to the 958 forum.. somehow it was overlooked in the great splitup.. go figure...

Quick Reply: 958.2 Turbo S - smoking on start-up?