Sponsored By:

The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:23 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paul29
Interesting, but how can the fuel vapor condense on a surface that is the same temperature as the vapor and that surface is immediately starting to warm up. Condition vehicle moving under battery power as the ice starts ambient temp 20deg F the same air flowing over the engine is flowing over the fuel tank and lines so both fuel and engine are at the same temp and the engine is direct injection. The fuel injector is nothing more than a high frequency operated valve and any valve can leak.
Good point. I have corrected my previous post to say that when the engine and fuel are cold, the fuel doesn't atomize as easily, reducing the effective surface area of fuel to combust. However, unburned fuel mixed in hot exhaust gasses that blow by the piston rings will condense in the cold crankcase and build up there. I pretty sure I don't have a leaking injector because that would cause other issues, decreased fuel economy, and likely would have shown in the UOA I did after an 800mi roadtrip.

With the way most people use a PHEV, from the ICE's point of view, it amounts to a whole lot of short trips. It's well-known that with lots of short trips, you need to change the oil more often, due to contaminants that don't get burned off completely. For my usage patterns, I'm pretty sure i'll be settling on a 5Kmi/6mo oil change interval. With the eHybrid, oil changes are easy enough to DIY (easier and less messy that many japanese cars i've worked on) with Mobil1 purchased from Costco/Walmart/Amazon that it really isn't an issue.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:56 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Another point to bring up is that Porsche assigned the same 10Kmi oil change interval to all of the gasoline powered cayennes. I'm sure that on average the vast majority of those gas powered, non-PHEV cayennes reach normal operating oil temps more frequently and sustain them for much longer. Therefore, given the typical use case of the eHybrid where the ICE is used for frequent short trips, the oil recommended oil change interval should be shorter; this is supported by all those cases of eHybrids with "oil above maximum" warnings. It would be interesting to know what the fix from Porsche is...whether they simply raise the level before the warning will come on, or if they somehow reduce startup enrichment. It seems that simply raising the permissible oil level is much easier to do, since engines startup enrichment is such a fundamental process (akin to 14.7 AFR)

I'm sure other PHEV makes/models have the same issue with fuel contamination, but they likely don't have an over-engineered electronic dipstick to constantly monitor/notify owners of minute changes in oil level. Most people don't do UOAs, and their dipsticks are graduated/marked in such a way that someone checking the dipstick prior to an oil change would notice a small increase.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 PM
pburt03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

For those with the 21" Turbo design wheels, do you find that you get an "understeer-esque" response with the steering wheel at full lock? Obviously this is at very low speeds...say making a u-turn...but not a terribly smooth experience. I can only surmise it's the width of the wheels/tires that cause this, but if nobody else is experiencing it, then maybe something I need to get looked at. I've a 2016, for the record.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Air Sync
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chiapet15
You can use any wall EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) that has a J1772 plug to plug into the cayenne. The charger itself is onboard the car and charges at either 3.6kw or 7.2kw (fast charger build option)

If i weren't using the EVSE from porsche that came with the car, I would purchase one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9600a8a8aa27f2

They are having a sale ($100 off) through 9/17/2017 to celebrate National Drive Electric Week
I just ordered the 7.2kw charger from amazon - I ordered my Cayenne SE in May of 2017 and I still haven't received it- This of course is insane . time I get it the 2019 models will be out -Geeeeeezz. I do feel like just cancelling my order -- Great information on this site
Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Originally Posted by Air Sync
I just ordered the 7.2kw charger from amazon - I ordered my Cayenne SE in May of 2017 and I still haven't received it- This of course is insane . time I get it the 2019 models will be out -Geeeeeezz. I do feel like just cancelling my order -- Great information on this site
yeah, at this point, i would just cancel the order and wait for a 2019 to get the benefit of all the new features
Old 02-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Air Sync
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chiapet15
yeah, at this point, i would just cancel the order and wait for a 2019 to get the benefit of all the new features
That has been floating in my mind for weeks now. I'll talk to the dealer today-
Old 04-20-2018, 03:41 PM
foggysf-Porsche
3rd Gear

New guy here, just got a 2017 Platinum Edition. Vehicle was placed in service May 2017 by Porsche North America, now has 1,700 miles.

Question I have is do I need to bring the vehicle in for service since the reminder is showing 21 days remaining? I'm assuming the computer is calculating based on days versus mileage. Should I just reset the reminder?

Also, I'm getting around 12 miles in e-power mode. Seems a little low to me but maybe because my trips include some small hills along the way. Otherwise, awesome car...

Only annoying thing is having to bring the car in to the dealer to activate car connect.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:15 AM
anches
1st Gear

Hey foggy, I just got a 2017 Platinum Ed too. I'm also getting around 12-14 miles in e-power. The first service is due at 15,000 miles or 6 months, but with only 1700 miles, I'm sure you can stretch that a bit.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:27 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The e-power range is really temperature dependent. I got as low as 12 miles just last month in the cold winter to 16 miles in a 60s degree Spring day.
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (02-03-2020)
Old 05-07-2018, 12:14 AM
antidrew
2nd Gear

New owner with possibly silly question: I picked up a 2017 SEH and was already considering a down-the-road modification.

What are the practicals of potentially swapping the new 14.1 kWh batter in the MY19 into a 958.2? Not a fan of the haptic screen buttons, but do like the idea of 30 percent larger electric capacity.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:11 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi all.

Another SEH owner here (well, actually my wife), a MY2017 Platinun Edition that’s a little over a year old now. Very comfortable car, roomy, fast when you need it, and despite me being a petrol head (I own a 991.2 GTS and a Macan GTS which I like driving in sport mode, so two quite noisy cars compared to the average vehicle) I really enjoy the e-drive on the SEH.

The only problem we have had, but a serious problem nonetheless, is that we have had some issues with the electronics; with a very low battery charge the car would just shut down while driving, so no steering, no acceleration, no assisted braking... nada. It’s happened twice or thrice to my wife and once to me, luckily at very low speed or maneuvering for parking; a message would then pop up saying that the key was defective or not found. My wife once got so anxious after such a thing happening while she was driving at 50 km/h that she wanted me to take it back to the garage to never bring it back again. After a couple of visits to the garage it seems to have been fixed through the replacement of some parts and flashing some software on the control units, so all good now; knock on wood.

Despite this issue, and since I haven’t found any other such complaints on the net so it seems to be a one-off case or a very unusual one for that matter, I will seriously consider a hybrid Macan, a Taycan or a Hybrid Pajun if such a thing exists when it’s time to replace my Macan GTS.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:39 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had this a few times, same car. It’s the high voltage circuits that are shutting down , a bit like limp mode to get you home

Your not charging it enough, I was told by 2 different sources that I was not plugging it in enough even tho I was managing charge while driving so i was full when I got home

that does not charge the battery enough apparently

since then I plug in very other night and it has not re occurred or anything like it

The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (02-03-2020)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:43 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

^ the car gets plugged in every time it is parked in the garage. In fact we barely use the ICE.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 PM
sensei77
1st Gear

Default accerelation

Hi, have anyone tested porche cayenne hybrid 2015 if it accelerates as fast (5.9s 0-100) battery empty or not. Also have anyone tested any chips or ecu programs for it to accerelate faster. If so how fast it can accelerate with chip tuning?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:03 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

What a pleasure starting the journey down the mountain after a ski day with 4 km of battery range left, and getting home 40 km later not having used the ICE at all and still with a little juice left. Unfortunately this only works downhill

Quick Reply: The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread