Sponsored By:

Rear window washing fluid not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear window washing fluid not working

I am unable to get window wiper cleaning fluid to pump to the rear window. I think it might be clogged up. Front works fine. Anyone with similar experience that has fixed it? Are there separate pumps for front and rear?

Thanks in advance for any relevant info/experience.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:16 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

It would be greatly useful when asking questions here if you gave SOME CLUE what YEAR your Cayenne is.

We are not mind readers.

And it's probably clogged up - I fixed mine - but dunno if that would apply to yours since I don't know the YEAR of your Cayenne.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming your Cayenne is a 2004-2010 model, the Cayenne uses a single pump capable of directing the washer fluid to either the front or rear spray nozzles; dependent upon the signal received from the wiper stalk. If the front nozzles work fine, then the pump, fuse and relay are deemed to be functional and in working condition.

As Deilenberger mentioned, the first place to check would be for a clogged rear nozzle located within the 3rd brake light. If the nozzle checks out, chances are high that the flexible tube has broken at the tailgate hinge. This component is a weakness in the system where the plastic tube is repeatedly stretched and compressed upon opening the tailgate; where it eventually fails. Using inferior washer fluid in northern climates where temps dip below 0° will accelerate this failure.

An easy way to tell if this is the case would be to raise your tailgate and engage the rear washer pump. If you see fluid running down the hinge and into the roof, your tube is broken. This is not a simple repair procedure since in many cases, the rear portion of the headliner must be removed to access the broken portion of the hose for repair. You will also have to remove the left side of the tailgate trim as well as both plastic hinge trim covers to access the hose.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:42 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have an 06 and had same issue, turned out the nozzle just needed adjustment. I would like to point out if the nozzle is off too much, nothing comes out which would lead someone to think its clogged or broken.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:27 AM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It would be greatly useful when asking questions here if you gave SOME CLUE what YEAR your Cayenne is.

We are not mind readers.

And it's probably clogged up - I fixed mine - but dunno if that would apply to yours since I don't know the YEAR of your Cayenne.
2012 CTT
Old 07-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy E.
As Deilenberger mentioned, the first place to check would be for a clogged rear nozzle located within the 3rd brake light.
Thanks Deilenberger and Andy E.. I popped off the clip on cover and the little nozzle popped off and fell to the pavement. Glad I wasn't over a storm drain because it landed 7 ft or so behind the car. Checking car with the nozzle off, the water shot out backwards like a rooster tail from a jet ski.

Cleaning the nozzle was not easy. The stuff was not water soluble and there was much more in the two little nozzles than would would believe could fit in there. After rinsing a few times and still seeing this red gunk come out, I took a wire and twisted a few thin strands together to push into the nozzles. More stuff came out. Seeing the wire from the feed hole was good thing. Nevertheless there was still a lot of stuff inside! Finally after numerous more rinses and using needle nose Tweezerman tweezers all along to pick the stuff out of the feeder hole, I got them so when I put under faucet I could see them streaming out.

Snapped things back together and it seems better than new.
Attached Images      
Old 02-07-2018, 12:10 AM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviving this old thread. I have the same issue, although after popping the nozzle off, it appears the jet is clogged as no washer fluid sprays out with it removed. I can see what looks like rust inside (red gunk). I've sprayed it with cleaner and poked around with a wire a few inches deep to try unclog it.

Any suggestions on cleaning it further? I've heard of using compressed air to blow out the line, or using a syringe to inject/flush water into the jet. etc. but am unsure of where to start taking things apart from here. Start from the wiper down or go inside from the tailgate? Hoping to just soak it and/or flush the line from the outside.

I have witnessed the rear washer fluid working fine just a few weeks ago, so its likely just clogged.

2011 CS.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1st Gen Cayennes (955/957) used a spray nozzle above the rear window to direct a stream of washer fluid directly onto the glass. 2011+ models spray the rear window through the wiper arm; making it much more effective when travelling at higher speeds. The washer fluid is routed through the hollow rear wiper motor shaft and out through a nozzle; a VW design dating back to the early '90's.

Unfortunately, the zinc plating inside the wiper motor shaft can sometimes become compromised, as any corrosion will create a blockage. If you do see signs of corrosion within the shaft, I would first verify this area by removing the inside rear hatch cover and disconnecting the hose from the motor. Cycle the rear washer via the wiper switch to see if any fluid exits. If not, you'll have to trace the problem back to the pump.

If the problem does lie outside of the wiper motor shaft, my bet would be on the spray nozzle (Item no.23).

I've attached a diagram to show you which side of the washer pump you should concern yourself with and which one or more of the components may be faulty.

Last edited by Andy E.; 02-07-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added 3rd image
Old 02-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Deanomite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks so much for that. Luckily for me its spraying like a cat in heat this morning. I guess the cleaner i sprayed in there overnight worked. Glad to see the diagram of the motor, definitely some zinc corrosion clogging the thing up.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Moving this thread over to the 958 subforum since it really is about the 958 rear washer (that's different from the 955/957 system.)

Hang on..
Old 02-08-2018, 10:33 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

The sprayer nozzle is surprisingly cheap too, less than $20.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:33 PM
gccarter3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird washer pump problem

Noticed all the washer pumps weren’t working when my TPMS was in reset mode. After the system “learned” the new sensors, my washer pumps started working again. Not sure how those two are linked and why.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:42 AM
lalabocai
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Andy, thanks so much for detailed information. As to older Cayenne, like 957, do you have any instructions on how to fix the suspected broken hose? My nozzle in the braking light isn’t working but leaking the fluid all around. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2022, 02:08 AM
SoundsoftheSuburbs
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2017 Cayenne S 958

My front nozzles are working perfectly fine, but fluid just drips very slowly out of the rear nozzles all of a sudden. Are there any new basic troubleshooting steps beyond what has been mentioned above?

Last edited by SoundsoftheSuburbs; 04-17-2022 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:33 PM
SoundsoftheSuburbs
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I ended up popping off the nozzle and soaking it in CLR for 5 minutes. Did the trick!

Quick Reply: Rear window washing fluid not working