Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 CS Liftgate Question-

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 02:46 PM
sabeo.m
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed here before, I did a quick search and came up with nothing- my problem is, every time I opened up the rear liftgate there is an intermediate pause several times while extending in the full upright position, it's very frustrating. Once in the full position, I hold down the liftgate close button for several seconds to record the new setting I've done this several times with no avail. What am i doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks and have a great weekend!
Old 07-03-2016, 07:53 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

I've never seen that happen with either my 957 or 958 CTTs. I'm assuming by pressing and holding the close button at full height you were attempting to get to it swing open to full height without pause, by resetting the full height opening position into memory?

Perhaps you could try resetting the tailgate opening height memory to halfway open and see if it will then at least open halfway without the pauses. If that works, then just keep trying to set it a bit higher each time and as you raise the height, see if the pause happens anywhere in the travel.

If the pauses continue, I'd say a service visit is in order unfortunately.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:15 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My 13 is also smooth from bottom to top.

When you say "pause", what do you mean and for how long? Does everything stop and go silent or do you hear the mechanism still working and the door just isn't moving?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:33 AM
sabeo.m
Rennlist Member

Hey guy's thanks for the replies. Yup, when i open the liftgate/trunk the hatch will begin to lift, opening a little or close to half way and then stop- at this point i will press the open button (top of license plate) again for it to continue opening. Ive tried the key button and also the hatch release on the door as well.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Does it beep indicating an obstruction?

Maybe weak struts are making the motor think that it has hit an obstruction?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:53 PM
rloggie
Racer

I have a similar problem with my 2011. Doesn't happen every time but the struts are being replaced today per dealership. We'll see...
Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Budget M3
Racer

I did not have this problem exactly, but my 2011 was set to stop too low for my liking. I let it open to the set height, then gently pushed up on the tailgate until it got to my desired height, THEN pressed and held down the button to record the new opening height. It took a couple tries for it to take, but I no longer hit my head on the low tailgate!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:20 AM
sabeo.m
Rennlist Member

Guys sorry for the late responses, I have tried to operate the lift gate exactly how it has been described in the user manual – still does not raise fully. I contacted the dealership they have stated that it could be one of the motors – there are two on each side. Luckily my car is still under CPO, I will post the outcome. Thanks for all the replies!!
Old 07-19-2016, 08:12 PM
sabeo.m
Rennlist Member

so lift gate situation resolved, dealership replaced both motors under cpo. they said the left one was faulty. picked up the CS last night it drove ok, i noticed a slight hesitation in acceleration, i didn't think anything of it. this morning on the way to work- again with hesitation in acceleration, almost if not enough air was getting into the engine- then all of a sudden i hear a knocking sound coming from the engine and then- check engine light, psm failure, brakes get really hard- then she dies. got her to start again to move to the side of the road- extremely rough idle, no brake pressure- then dies. I had it towed back to dealership. I got a call from them stating that something is possible wrong with the timing or a solenoid... just a coincidence i was told! So upset, i had zero issues with car until now.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Bummer. Sounds like a bad coil.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:33 PM
sabeo.m
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Texas993
Bummer. Sounds like a bad coil.
i don't think so this time- all packs are new. Before i replaced them i had 1 pack go bad- no where near the trouble i went through this morning. This was something that i never experienced before sadly.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:08 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sabeo.m
... then all of a sudden i hear a knocking sound coming from the engine and then- check engine light, psm failure, brakes get really hard- then she dies. got her to start again to move to the side of the road- extremely rough idle, no brake pressure- then dies. I had it towed back to dealership. I got a call from them stating that something is possible wrong with the timing or a solenoid... just a coincidence i was told! So upset, i had zero issues with car until now.
I hate to say it, but based on your symptoms you may have experienced a failure of the camshaft adjuster bolts. All 2011s were built with aluminum bolts securing the camshaft adjuster to the camshaft. When the bolts fail, the camshaft on that side of the engine stops spinning while the cam on the other side stays in time and the engine will barely run. The back of one of the camshafts (I think on the passenger side) turns the vacuum pump that powers the brake booster; if that camshaft stops spinning you lose your power brakes. Most also report a PSM fault and deactivation of the Stop/Start. If the driver's side camshaft stops spinning you lose the fuel pump it drives and the engine likely won't run at all.

There's a thread here about it and another couple threads at the other forum. Porsche did a recall in China and has a workshop campaign in North America addressing it: WC-22. To my knowledge, Porsche has made good on every failure so far and yours is a CPO, so this might be protracted but shouldn't be expensive. If the broken bolts can all be found and did no further damage, you'll likely be up and running fairly soon. If not, you get a new engine (and hopefully a loaner).

I hope I'm wrong and they get you back on the road soon; just wanted to prepare you in case your SA plays dumb (it's apparently official Porsche policy to disavow knowledge of this problem or the workshop campaign to fix it).
Old 07-21-2016, 08:39 PM
sabeo.m
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MountainStone
I hate to say it, but based on your symptoms you may have experienced a failure of the camshaft adjuster bolts. All 2011s were built with aluminum bolts securing the camshaft adjuster to the camshaft. When the bolts fail, the camshaft on that side of the engine stops spinning while the cam on the other side stays in time and the engine will barely run. The back of one of the camshafts (I think on the passenger side) turns the vacuum pump that powers the brake booster; if that camshaft stops spinning you lose your power brakes. Most also report a PSM fault and deactivation of the Stop/Start. If the driver's side camshaft stops spinning you lose the fuel pump it drives and the engine likely won't run at all. There's a thread here about it and another couple threads at the other forum. Porsche did a recall in China and has a workshop campaign in North America addressing it: WC-22. To my knowledge, Porsche has made good on every failure so far and yours is a CPO, so this might be protracted but shouldn't be expensive. If the broken bolts can all be found and did no further damage, you'll likely be up and running fairly soon. If not, you get a new engine (and hopefully a loaner). I hope I'm wrong and they get you back on the road soon; just wanted to prepare you in case your SA plays dumb (it's apparently official Porsche policy to disavow knowledge of this problem or the workshop campaign to fix it).
Thanks for the heads up, you were spot on. SA told me they were able to recover all the bolts except for 2- which he believes fell and landed in front pan- engine needs to come out to get those two. Thank goodness it's a CPO.

Quick Reply: 2011 CS Liftgate Question-